Notify
Tools

repairing an old stock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted
hi all,
i have a lee enfeild mk111 in 303 that needs some repairs, the stock has cracked along the bottom and a small peice has come out.there is a thredded screw to hold this section probably fitted a long time ago.
i was thinking of using a 2pak areldite? type glue to hold the peices together and form up the section that has fallen out but the wood is 90 yrs old and soaked in yrs of oil. how do i remove the oil and get a good bond?
any better ideas?

thanks for the help
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would try soaking it in laquer thinner?

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"oil in the stock" thread-

THREAD HERE

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
tin can, u da man!
thanks for that
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That much old oil is a problem. Brownells makes a Whiting that you can pack around it and let it sit for a week or two that will draw the oil out pretty well, make a paste pack it all around the wood and let it sit for a week..

If you are very careful not to char the wood, just heat it up an wipe off the excess oil over and over and over again. This is tricky because it you get tired and careless you can damage the wood.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote