Find
Notify
Tools

How to get old oil out of a stock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I have an old factory Husqvarna stock that my M96 came in that has been begging to get re-shaped and refinished so the other day I cut a few inches off of the fore end and took a rasp to the thing and made a pretty nice schnabel on the end and slimmed the whole fore end down considerably. I then stripped all the old varnish off of it and I must say for my first stock re-shaping this thing is coming along nice!
However at the tang and bolt notch a lot of old oil keeps coming to the surface and I'm not sure what to do with it.
I thought about putting it in a tray and pouring 20 pounds of "Kitty litter" on it to see if that would draw the oil out.
What do the experts suggest?
Friday I will try to post a before and after picture of my re shape job on the old "Husky" stock.
Thanks in advance for the great information you guys usually hand out.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get some DE (Diatomaceous Earth) from a pool supply store. See if they have some handy rather than selling you 25 lbs. It is used to make a slurry for pool filters. This is the same stuff that Brownells sells as Whiteing. Only a lot cheaper this way.

Mix some up with a solvent like acetone to make a thich slurry and coat the area that is soaked with oil. It will draw the oil out and the paste will turn a yellow or straw color. Wipe it off and repeat until it does not take out any more. Leave the stock for a day or two and do it again. If it discolors keep going until it stays white.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I have used easy off oven cleaner but customstox has the right way outlined above

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing alot about getting cosmoline(sp) out of stocks on surplusrifle.com. IIRC they used head to get it all the way out.
-Josh

Duty to your country means more than a ribbon magnet on the back of your car.

Posts: 105 | Location: Tabb-VA-USA | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote "they used head to get it all the way out."

If I am fortunate enough to get some head, I am not going to waste it on cosmoline. Roll Eyes

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
With you on the "head" Customstox!

Any downside or cautions to using "D E"?
Also do I have to get it all out or will some just blend with the stain and finish of the stock?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
will DE and laquer thinner be a good combo? i have lots of laquer.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I'm certainly no expert but I too have used extra strength oven cleaner (and hot water).

Just coat the stock with the oven cleaner and let it sit for twenty or thirty minutes.

Then flush it with hot water.

Repeat as necessary.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13385 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The only thing I would consider adding to Customstox's epistle is this:

If you have a convenient way of heating the whole whiting-covered part of the assembly to about 150 degrees and holding it there, then do so for a couple of hours. Be careful, though, not to get it much hotter or otherwise foul up the natural moisture content of the wood. The object is just to get the oil "runnier" so it will be more quickly "flowing" ("wicking") out of the wood.

A properly "jigged" hair dryer might just do the trick.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
A properly "jigged" hair dryer might just do the trick

I have built a little verticle oven I use to bake some of the various metal spray finishes. Just turn the heat low and run the circulating fan. The DE mud will do the rest.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
You can get small portions of DE at a pet/fish store. It's used in fish tank filters.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesNot that it is any better than the good advise you are getting, but after the oven off and rinse try steaming it over a tea kettle spout the same as if youwere raising the grain or indentation. While hot, wipe it down or try a few drops of lacquer thinner on the affected area while it is cooling[AWAY FROM THE STOVE]. The thinner will tend to be drawn into the pours. Than steam it again when it is cool and wipe it. EekerIt's an old hacks procedure. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I pack milsurp stocks with sawdust from a cabinet shop and wrap it all with shrink wrap.then I hang it by the fireplace for a few days,it pulls out most of it.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Acetone , MEK , Lacquer or any number of solvents work well to ( Wick Out ) oil from wood !. If you like water products on wood , Dawn dish washing soap works well as does Deck Rens . Oxalic acid in solution . There are commercial products that are used to clean wood decks or fences ( wood in general ) that work very well to start with . Then finish with a solvent listed above for the final wipe before working the stock or applying finish to it .

I generally do Dawn first then Oxalic acid followed by MEK & acetone wiping . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote