New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 SPRINGFIELD ACTION CONVERSION
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I READ ABOUT A PH THAT SHOOTS A .458 WIN MAG BUILT ON AN 03 SPRINGFIELD ACTION. CAN ANY ONE TELL ME IF THIS ACTION WOULD BE SUITABLE TO BUILD A.458 LOTT? IS IT LONG ENOUGH? WOULD IT BE STRONG ENOUGH? COULD IT BE MODIFIED TO FEED PROPERLY? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE, TOM

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
lee440 that posts on here has a gorgeous spingfield that shoots .458 win mag.. you might ask him...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I also have a Springfield action (Rock Island Arsenal)rifle in .458 Winchester Mag which was built for me by Paul Marquart in the 1980s.

I would not prefer a Lott on that action, though. The Lott is on a long enough case to require opening the Springfield action up to accomodate it. Even the youngest Springfield actions (O3A3s) are now right at 70 years old. I would not remove any metal from them, even though it would PROBABLY be safe.

There are too many magnum length actions available out there for me to take a chance I don't have to.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first .458 Winchester Magnum was built for me on a double heat treated Springfield action in 1959 by the late Harry Creighton, gunsmith, in Nashville, TN. I still have it and it is going strong.

However, I agree that a H&H magnum length cartridge like the Lott is too long for the action, which cannot IMO be safely lengthened to accomodate it.

I have killed elephant and buffalo with the .458 Winchester Magnum. What did you have in mind killing with the Lott?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
with the proper bottom metal, it is ZERO more work tham making a mauser 98 feed one ..

i strongly prefer springfields

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AND, another advantage with the Springfield is the absence of lug setback after shortening the receiver's bottom recoil lug. FWIW I've used and seen lots of 1903s and have never seen or even heard of any lug setback occurrences.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote