New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bottom metal for 1917 Enfield
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who makes a (nice) replacement floorplate/triggerguard for the 1917 pattern Enfield? (This is for a sporting configuration)

I've seen (and owned) some of Ted Blackburn's stuff....very nice.

Is there any other bottom metal out there besides Ted's?

Thanks,
Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont think anyone makes one anymore.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
london guns DID...
jim wisener did...

sorry,
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think if I were putting together a custom model 17 I would take a long hard look as to whether I could somehow do a little cutting and pasting to alter one of Williams bottom metals to work.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you could do that, provided you tell your stock duplicator that you are going to use "narrow" bottom metal... that will be the trick.

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rem. 1917 that was put together by Jaeger of Pa. that uses a 1903 Springfield triggerguard. Works out alot slimmer than the original under the action and the 03 TG seems to blend into the pistol grip well.
This was a common modification in the 50's and 60's and it was shown in McFarlands Gunsmithing book. I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the American Rifleman as a do-it-yourself project also. I think the rear guard screw hole was modified slightly to produce a different angle and meet the action tang correctly.
Hope this helps.

Bob

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
If a springfield can be made to fit, so can a mauser... but i think the hole spacing is different enough on the enfield to requiring tigging and redrilling... not a huge thing

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Top is a VZ-24, bottom is a 1917 winchester. looks like a fill and drill would work. the holes are a little off. Narrower by a bit though if thats a concern.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't fill and drill. I would cut and lengthen and cut and widen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
At a Syracuse NY gun show in 2005 saw a 1917 .270 with an aluminum or dural guard and hinged floorplate assembly, in-guard floorplate latch, etc. No idea of source. But had a Jaeger sidemount and stock style looked 1960s.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
I think 22WRF has it right:

I'm having Ed LaPour build me a Remington 720, which is essentially a commercial 1917 Enfield. He is cutting off the rear tang and putting on a new one. The guard screw spacing will then be compatible with after-market bottom metal, which he sourced from another 'smith. He wouldn't tell me where he got it, but I'm certain it's a high quality piece.
Not sure if you want that much work, but I think it's worth it. Enfields are soooo smooth and the quality of the Remington 30 and 720 pre war guns is really something. 1917s are classic.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
deleted my post

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know Blackburn used to make these. I wonder if there would be a market for them, if say a guy contracted with Blackburn to do a short run of them, say 20 or so, and then sold them.

Would there be any takers here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slancey , Is Lapour fitting a mauser aftermarket bottom on or 720.

Id like to see what all he does to your 720. Are you going to have Ed recontour the rear of the action, modify the bolt reliese, m70 safety and new bolt handle?

I have a m720 sitting here also. Got a m30 bottom for it but might fit something else slimmer to it

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
GSP7,
Yes, yes, and yes.
He makes a great 3-position bolt shroud safety like the M70. He's making a new bolt release and putting on a proper-sized bolt handle.
I suspect that the bottom metal is Blackburn-made, but I know for a fact that it is not a production item, so if this one was sitting around somewhere in Ted's shop, or someone else's parts drawer from years ago, I don't know.
The rear tang back of the bridge will be replaced. I think he's using a blind tang screw as well. He has photos of a shop action, but I'll post pictures of mine when it's done. We're probably talking spring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SLancey; please post pics when yours is finished. I have two 1917's in the cabinet that could look better with different bottom metal. One is in a polymer stock in 35 Whelen and other still has original barrel.
Safety and dogleg bolt; guess I am on the odd side, I have always likee the original safety and bolt.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22wrf, I know I'd be in the market for atleast one, probably a couple. I seen a hinged bottom metal for a 1917 on ebay once and I shoulda jumped on it.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22WRF-

Like Joel/AK said, I would be "in" for two such units if you get an order together. Seriously, if you are looking to but an order together, count me in.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last evening I took a one piece Winchester Model 70 triggerguard and held it in place against the Enfield action (with the screws in place) to see how it lined up.

If I TIG welded the screw holes in the bottom metal, and moved the rear hole back 4mm, and the front hole forward the same amount, it would work just fine.

I thought I would try some various kinds of bottom metal up against the action screws, and see which one fits the best (Mauser, Rem 700, etc).

Then it's just a little welding, filing, drilling and bluing left to do.

I don't think I'm going to need a $300+ piece of custom work.
Unless you count my time as something valuable (I'm just a simple country brain surgeon).

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote