THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can somebody identify this front sight? (pic)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to get a taller front post.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
it looks like a NEGC...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2832 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
looks like a racknagel / new england custom gun flip up sight that has been HEAVILY bead blasted.

http://www.newenglandcustomgun...%20Ramp#.VUQ1Kxz3-iw

i don't think it comes in sizes, but I am not a consumer of that exact sight.. pop it out (push down plunger, tap out, and read number on the bottom - our measure, in MM)

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38603 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

That's it. It looks like it hasn't been raised in a while. Maybe I need to try and lower the rear sight instead of raise the front sight.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
If it is what I think it is, we call them "black outs." They are a large, popup sight that is highly visible in low light or dense brush. They are commonly found on dangerous game guns for going out after wounded bears or other big game and are generally meant for point blank range shooting up to 50 yards. If it's set up properly, I think you will find that it will sit about .020 to .040 inch taller than the standard front sight. The reason for this is that even though it's larger than normal, people tend to take more front sight in low light which makes the gun shoot high. The extra height compensates for this and pushes the muzzle down. To shoot them in good light the bead is rested on the top of the flat of the rear sight and not in the cup.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems as though this site only comes in one size, but there are other sites available in different heights which fit the same ramp. maybe that is what I need.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't use the twilight sight then I would just order a regular one the right height. Brownells has a height calculator on their site or at least used to.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
taller front sight means lower point of impact - there should be a number on the base, or you can assume it is the "standard" .. order put calipers on it ..

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff:

Here's the Recknagel website catalog #7, in German.

http://www.recknagel.de/Joomla...ieleinrichtungen.pdf

I've gone through all of the sights in the catalog and I haven't, as yet, made a positive ID !

I also searched out Holland and Holland but it doesn't seem to be productive.

Just curious. Have you positively identified the sight as yet to your satisfaction ?

May I ask what you desire to accomplish ? Just ID the sight. Repair it? Upgrade? Restore original?

If this gun is actually used, would a fiber optic front sight not be in consideration ? Naturally that would degrade from the originality and value of the all inclusive originals.

Just to drift off subject a bit, I have one of the ancient King Gustaf, Swedish, Military Mauser's, all original matching numbers in excellent condition. The rear sight is a twice fold up type rated out to 600 meters. Apparently a sniper setup.

I'm chewing my cabbage twice when I say your front and rear sight have to be coordinated and match tested for point of aim and accuracy. But you already know that.

Just as a matter of curiosity I will appreciate knowing it you have as yet identified the front sight. I log this info in my data files and pass it along.

TKS>

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wetibbe:
Jeff:

Here's the Recknagel website catalog #7, in German.

http://www.recknagel.de/Joomla...ieleinrichtungen.pdf

I've gone through all of the sights in the catalog and I haven't, as yet, made a positive ID !

bottom of page 5, EMAILLEKORN und KLAPPKORNE

"folding night sights" is the translation - but enameled and folding would be a better one...

the three parts listed are all 6.5m tall, but 27, 19.5, and 18.5 in length,

11220-2565
11240-3565
11260-3565

I would say reading german helps, but I actually found it scanning

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Duane:

I followed your other post and it I absolutely fantastic. So as a complementary prize/award I'll entertain with some stories of my past.

I lived in Africa for several years in numerous countries as in the drilling/geology field.

One memorable occasion was in Tunisia. I was stationed 200 kilometers West of Tunis on the Algerian border. Our contract was with Ralph M. Parsons Los Angeles. It was a USAID financed project. We had diplomatic privileges. So I has my Mom ship my Browning A5 semi auto 12 gauge shotgun. Lew Ditzel was the Parsons project manger and an avid hunter.

I became on very good terms with Monsieur, Le Delegue, the regional person appointed by President Habab Borguiba to rule the district which was one of 26 designated.

We organized a hunt for wild boar which were prolific. The Muslims abhorred pork.

On the appointed day of the hunt, Lew, some USAID employees and some other Parsons employees all came to Ghardimau. Monsieut Le Delgue commanded Guardia National to come and form a driving group of 30-40 persons along with driver dogs.. They were the drivers, we were the waiting shooters.

I blasted 3 boars with my 12 gauge browning with only a rib and a front bead. One boar was shot at about 12 meters as he raced headlong past me. It ran another 75, shot through the chest, before dropping over.

I should add that those boars are very vicious with slashing tusks. There were numerous reports of Tunisians being killed by them.

Jilani, the Tunisian drilling superintendent, half French/half Tunisian, cooked some boar in camp. The Muslim drill crews threw him out and destroyed the cooking pots.

Monsieur Le Delegue invited the Guys to a night hunt. He had a pickup truck. He drove like a maniac with Lew Ditzel in the front seat and I stood up on the bed in back. Whenever he saw a boar EVEREYONE blaste away in the headlights.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
If it is what I think it is, we call them "black outs." They are a large, popup sight that is highly visible in low light or dense brush. They are commonly found on dangerous game guns for going out after wounded bears or other big game and are generally meant for point blank range shooting up to 50 yards. If it's set up properly, I think you will find that it will sit about .020 to .040 inch taller than the standard front sight. The reason for this is that even though it's larger than normal, people tend to take more front sight in low light which makes the gun shoot high. The extra height compensates for this and pushes the muzzle down. To shoot them in good light the bead is rested on the top of the flat of the rear sight and not in the cup.

Those moon sights should shoot to the same spot as the smaller bead - if the correct rear sight is employed - because they are also bigger at the bottom.

This is why so many express sight leaves are just wide Vs with no flats on top; if you pull the moon sight down into the V as expected, the bottom will force the rear sight lower, cancelling out the likelihood that the higher top of the big bead will cause a low shot.

This situation will also work with peep sights but not with open sights where the top of the bead is expected to be aligned with flats above a notch or V tangent.

The lack of flats on many express sights to cope with a possible moon sight has a down side, though. Any bead must then be pulled hard into the V for consistency - resolve that is often missing when in a hurry. On two occasions when shooting at dangerous/fleeing game, I have failed in this and my second shot has gone high.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
get ahold of randy selby in wapiti wy. he specializes in this type of sight