Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great American Gunstock Co
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone bought a completed stock from them?

Hunt1

Posts: 12 | Location: RALEIGH NC | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
look up near the top of the page
click "find"
type in
gag
or
great american..

i think they have great patterns and horrible execution

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Yes, great patterns and poor execution...

I bought ONE... and will never buy another.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto to what jeffe said.

My experience has been that their wood and their patterns are great, and their inletting and layout is a total crap shoot, where you never know what you are going to get.

The only thing about the company that seems to be 100% consistent is their customer service...it is ALWAYS bad! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I was lucky. I bought a 95% stock from them for my Krag and it was great. If I typed right, you can see it here (why don't they have a copy & paste function here?).

http://gallery.sixshootercommunity.com/displayimage.php...m&cat=10063&pos=-783

http://gallery.sixshootercommunity.com/displayimage.php?album=69&pos=8

Posts: 212 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry O:
I guess I was lucky. I bought a 95% stock from them for my Krag and it was great. If I typed right, you can see it here (why don't they have a copy & paste function here?).

http://gallery.sixshootercommunity.com/displayimage.php...m&cat=10063&pos=-783

http://gallery.sixshootercommunity.com/displayimage.php?album=69&pos=8

HarryO,

Like I said, it’s a crap shoot with them. I also got a really nice 1898 Krag sporter stock from them...and in the same order got a 1903 sporter stock that was so crooked and had such loose and sloppy inletting that it is was totally unuseable. I also got a 1903 military stock in that same order and had to send it back also due to chewed up wood and loose inletting.

The wood itself on the Krag and the 1903 was some of the prettiest I have seen though. GAG’s problems are certainly not in the patterns and styles they offer, or in their selection of good looking wood. Their problem (from my layman’s view) is their set-up and maintenance (or lack of same) of their equipment... and their piss-poor attitude when you return the garbage they send out so often.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm one of the few people who's had really good luck out of them - abt 6 times now. am finally getting around to finishing up a 500NE i'm building on a ruger #1. told him what i wanted the stock for, sound, heavy, proper grain flow, attractive but not esp fancy. what he sent could not have been a more perfect stock for that rifle. butt is heaviest pc of walnut i've seen and perfectly balances out the 25" very large bbl w/o even having to add ballast. f/e a perfect match to the fiddleback in the butt. and my recollection is i had it in hand in abt 2 weeks from placing order.

i don't think their service is any more erratic than anyone elses. richards has been no more consistent and to date the most unhappy i've ever been with a stock was a fajen. which i still have and still makes me ill every time i see it but i can't make myself restock it after the work that's in it.

roger

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I've had two experiences with them, both completely unsatisfactory.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
HarryO, That's a nice rifle. Here is a M70 stocked with a GAG. When I bought this stock and dropped the barreled action into it, it looked like the barrel was going to come completely out of the forearm. I called Henry and told him about the problem. He said it had to be not enough was taken out of the inletting. He said send it back and would re-inlet the stock. I told him the inletting was crocked and there was no way this could be fixed. He said send it back and he'd fix it. About a month later it showed back up at the door and sure enough, What I thought was unfixable was fixed.

I'm about half way through stocking a .375H&H Whitworth with one. It's looking very nice so far.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC1,
Thats a nice looking rifle. What recoil pad is that? I like red recoil pads. Thanks Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenBosely:
TC1,
Thats a nice looking rifle. What recoil pad is that? I like red recoil pads. Thanks Allen

Just a red Pachmayr Decelerator pad.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only seen pics of Pachmayers red Decelerator pads by themselves not on a rifle. They look quite nice on a rifle.

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Nice finish, too.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Harry O:

Nice stock, nice Krag!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They ripped me off once, never again.

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Krag is spectacular. How was the inletting?

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The inletting was good. It was not a "drop-in", but it was not sold as such. I had to do a little fitting, but nothing excessive. When I got done, I glassbedded the front and pillar beded the rear. The rear was just too complicated for me to glassbed.

When I bought it (already sporterized), I shot it and found that it was accurate. Then I decided it was worth upgrading the stock. When I first got done, accuracy was mediocre (worse than before), but with a little tweaking here and there, it is now as accurate as it was originally. I have worked up some mild, cast loads that it likes.

For heavy 30-40 loads, I shoot a Ruger No. 3.

Posts: 212 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for the information, both good and bad.

Hunt1

Posts: 12 | Location: RALEIGH NC | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote