THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding a Ruger 30-06 (wood) glass or gel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I asked a smith at one of my local gunshops how he would bed my walnut MKII and what materials he would use.

He said he always uses a substance callen AcraGEL (his word choice) for the lesser calibers and acraGLASS for the big boys like a 375H+H and up.

Anyone here used this gel stuff?

Should I insist the smith use something else in place of the GEL substance or would I be just as well off letting him use what he suggests.

He also said he saw no need to bed the rear (tang) screw as the strength was only need up front around the lug.

I'd certainly appreciate any opinions from some of you smiths out there.
Thanks

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest thst you use Brownell's "Steel Bed" or "ProBed 2000".

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBGuy:
I asked a smith at one of my local gunshops how he would bed my walnut MKII and what materials he would use.

He said he always uses a substance callen AcraGEL (his word choice) for the lesser calibers and acraGLASS for the big boys like a 375H+H and up.

Anyone here used this gel stuff?

Should I insist the smith use something else in place of the GEL substance or would I be just as well off letting him use what he suggests.

He also said he saw no need to bed the rear (tang) screw as the strength was only need up front around the lug.

I'd certainly appreciate any opinions from some of you smiths out there.
Thanks

It doesn't really matter which is used. They are both adequate. I use good industrial epoxy as it's much cheaper. I add fiberglass flock or carbon graphite fiber to increase strength in some cases and other fillers in less stress areas. I agree the rear tang screw doesn't need bedding in that rifle.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
It is a Brownell's product;

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/catsearch.aspx?k...+glass&ps=10&si=True

It is available from places like Natchez Shooters Supply and MidwayUSA and possibly, cheaper than direct from Brownell's. I much prefer the Gel over the standard AcraGlas because it takes longer to setup and gives you more time to do a good job yet, is fully cured in 24 hours.

The suggestion that you use Steel Bed;

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...048&title=STEEL+BED?

or ProBed 2000 (couldn't find a link) is probably a good one. I have never used either but I do like the AcraGlas Gel. All good bedding compounds.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
A lot of M14/M1A/M1Garands bedded with material known as Marinetex. Local marine dealer carries it. Above rifles see far more useage, abuse, shooting than a sporting rifle will ever likely see. Very good bedding material. Have not found it more difficult than any of the other material mentioned to use. Just a suggestion and sure most will work to your satisfaction.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
gel

glass would be a nightmare on this one.

i use marinetex grey for nearly everything these days.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39671 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marine tex...the ONLY way to go. It is the bedding material of choice for a large number of accuracy gunsmiths. I use it and love it...tougher than any other product mentioned thus far. Pay attention to dsiteman above...he is wise beyond his years.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great answers. I'm going to let him use the gel as he stated he has used this product for many years both here and while practicing his trade in Colorado. Have a great day!

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Acra gel on hundreds of bedding jobs. Good stuff and easy to use. On hard kickers above 375 I add Brownells powdered stainless steel and a small ammount of flock. No probems at all. I bed the rear action screws on ALL guns. It's part of doing the whole job, not just enough to get by.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
My 30-06 is bedded with Acragel and shoots like a house fire. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again men. I appreciate the responses. Have a great day!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only time I use the gel is on the plastic factory stocks. Otherwise I much prefer Acraglas. It's stronger, less affected by solvents, and doesn't degrade as badly with time.
Of course the rear tang should be bedded. The whole point of glass badding, apart from re-inforcing the wood, is to provide a precise, stable, stress free fit between the barreled action and stock. If the tang is not bedded, you will have accomplished a half-job.
A properly glass bedded rifle will, wherever possible, have the stock bored through at the screw locations and glass pillars cast in place as part of the job. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote