New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zastava questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Over in the lefty forum, it looks like there's going to be a group buy of these lefty Zastava rifles:

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/cms/index.php?id=234

Does anybody know if the 458WM is built on a 375 length action? Barrel length and overall length are the same on the 375 and the 458, but all calibers have the same lengths listed.

Also, are there any drop-in stocks available for these rifles?

If the action lengths are the same, I may try and get the 458 and have it rechambered to Lott. If not, I may try and get the 375 and have it rebarreled sometime in the future.

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 89 | Location: SW Washington | Registered: 23 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anybody know if the 458WM is built on a 375 length action?

Assuming the left action is the same as the right The actions are the same length. Matter of fact all the zastava's are the same length even the 308 version. Only difference is the magazine and feedramp. The 375 simply has the magazine opened in the front along with the feed ramp. The 458 magazine will be the same as used for the 7mag 300wmag etc. To take a 458 Zastava action to Lott you will either need a 375 bottom, after market bottom or simply extend the magazine in the front. YOu would then need to remove metal from the feed ramp and bottom locking lug.

Can't answer the stock question. But I believe that the 798 was out in limted left hand. But I wouldn't bet any $$ on it.

I'm sure that the zastava has been used for a lott it isn't my first choice.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I'm sure that the zastava has been used for a lott it isn't my first choice.

Why's that?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why's that?

When you extend the magazine to the front you then have to remove metal and reshape the feed ramp. Doing this removes a substantial portion of the metal that forms the bottom locking area. MKX, Daly, Remington and before that many others have made the m98 actions work for the 375 this way. I've had two. I can't point to a failure. To me the Lott is another step up the ladder. Others have use this action for the 7STW, 358STA 300Wby etc. to me you are asking a lot of a thinned locking area.

I'm sure the lott has been done. I simply wouldn't. I prefer more metal behind the lug. If I wanted something that hits harder than the 458wmag and wanted to use this action I would look to something like Jeff's 458AccRel a shorten and improved 375RUM case. http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/769108843? It will do everything a lott will do and not require metal removal. Or a 458 built on a Ruger case.

So who is going to handle an Import of these action?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So who is going to handle an Import of these action?

Not exactly sure. All the info is here:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...7108194&m=2111031541

7x57 and 9.3x62 for $525, 375h&h and 458wm for $600. I think he may be able to add righties onto the order as well.