THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    How To Improve The Accuracy Of A M 77 .358 Winchester?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How To Improve The Accuracy Of A M 77 .358 Winchester?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend has an old Ruger 77 in .358 Winchester. The rifle has never grouped well but he has taken a lot of game over many years with the gun and it has sentimental value. The rifle was sent to Ruger's smith a while ago and the barrel was shortened to 20" and of course recrowned and the accuracy did not improve.

The thinking is to either send it to a "Douglas" or "PacNor" and have a new SS top quality barrel installed and the action trued or to have a local smith do it. Money is not a problem. He hunts all over, has other rifles and uses this .358 for Northeastern woods hunting.

The barrel contour and length is not selected. Of course a very long and heavy barrel is not appropiate. Most factory .358 Win barrels are about .560" at the muzzle which is a 1/8" wall thickness. Suggestions are welcome.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
IIRC that barrel would have been one of the $7 wonders that Ruger procured outside, so it is a major candidate for replacement. If it was my rifle I would go with a chrome-moly replacement. Of course installing a new barrel would include some tidying up with the action and the bedding.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99,

If he wants to accurize it he could always sell it and buy a Remington M700!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist! [Big Grin]

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will swap him my new 77 MKII which I had rebarrelled to .358 with a shieln bbl. 22" it shoots great.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Why would you swap?

By the way what contour is that barrel?

one of us
posted Hide Post
For that lovely tang safety, of course!

Tell your buddy he has a jewel and to reflect upon how long his shots have been and if the rifle's accuracy is insufficient at those ranges.

My old M77 has a shortened barrel and wood stock and it is sub-MOA.

It is fully glassed, though, and that is what I would try after floating the barrel and before installing a new one.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got an email back and he is not nearly as excited about his .358 as I am! He said he will think about it. I got him prices, name of a local smith that installs premium barrels the right way etc.

He said "I will just take the 30/06 as it groups fine"

Maybe it's the money after all!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage, I would trade because mine is a little heavy for me. It has a shilem #3 contour. But it is a moot point now as a guy traded me out of it this morning. Haven't got a conformation yet . I've never seen a .358 that wouldn't shoot with just about any load at least all the ones I have had shot extremely well. By the way do you know anyone who will rebore a rifle with breaking the bank ? I had the latye Dick Nichols do a couple for me and was completely satisfied . Only cost 175.00 !

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote