THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle back from John Ricks, Fantastic work!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I came home from work today and found a rifle case sitting on the kitchen counter. I looked at the return address and sure enough it was a package from John Ricks. We had talked a few weeks ago and I had told him I was ready for my rifle to be returned. I knew he wasn't done with it, but I just couldn't wait any longer.

Well, I was expecting to open the box and find a barreled action "in the white" needing who knows what to be complete. Imagine the look on my face when I opened the box! The rifle is complete! Not only did he blue it, he put in the extra cross bolt, glass bedded it, inletted the barrel channel and refinished the stock. Man I'm impressed! Finest looking Whitwoth I've ever seen. He said not to worry about the balance owed because it took so long.

John, If you happen to read this, A public THANK YOU is in order. The rifle looks fantastic.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I'm glad it worked out for you and good for him for trying to make up a for few things with some extra effort.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Metalwork looks nice.
The stock looks a little dry though.
Anyone else notice that?

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:
Metalwork looks nice.
The stock looks a little dry though.
Anyone else notice that?

-Spencer

yep, but nice metal work, it'll make a shooter.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
When you say "dry" please explain. The stock came from Sarco. It was leftover inventory after MarkX/Whitworth went out of buisness. Are you talking about the finish or the wood?

As I've said before, this isn't an heirloom rifle, but I think it turned out pretty nice.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like it !! I think it is a very nice looking rifle !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG!
Just await'n on mine now!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, How about mine next?

Bob Mehaffey

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC1, that is a beautiful working rifle! Sweet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
By dry I mean that it could use a few more coats of finish.

I am not sure what the stock was done in, but you see how it looks splotchy in some places?
The more finish you put on, the more the wood soaks up and the more even everything looks.

Plus not all of the grain looks to be filled up.

Nothing defective in the job, it just needed a little more time thats all.

I like the Bonanza silver accent on the lettering.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Spencer, what do you want from a factory stock? I'd say it looks good, better than most factory wood these days. It looks almost exactly like the whitworth I saw in the shop the other day only nicer.

The finish on my CZ must be dog puke or something. But what do you want for $600. It's a very sound platform to begin with.

TC1, glad you got everything worked out and that you are pleased! Nice rig!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need a 375 H&H Express rifle like I need a hole in the head, but this thread is making my new gun itch become unbearable......... gunsmile

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm note sure whether this Whitworth is $600 or your CZ was $600, but for that kind of money, I would at least expect an even finish.

So what if the grain is not all filled in, not a big deal but when you get that two tone look like from the top view picture, that would be tough to handle for me anyways.

$600 is a hell of alot of money to spend on a rifle and have the wood be less than average.

Here is a trick though, invest in a product called Almond Stick, it sort of livens up satin wood.

Just my opinion.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Hey Spencer, What you are seeing in the first photo is the the camera flash bouncing off the stock, nothing more. The stock has an even dull finish all the way across. The grain isn't filled in, nor was it on the original finish. I'm just about positive the stock only has one coat of whatever finish is on it though.

Maybe "fantastic work" was stretching it a little. But that all depends on what you're comparing it to. I sent in a cheap piece of wood and wasn't expecting to get anything more back. I'm very happy with the finished product. The metal work is first rate. The quarter rib fits nice. The bluing is very nice. The iron sight was regulated and a test target showing where the rifle hits at 50yds with the iron sights was included. Trust me on this, I got a hell of a lot more than what I paid for. It more than made up for the delay.

Terry

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Terry,
didn't John do the metal work and fit to a stock you provided?

Looks damn good to me

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Terry,
didn't John do the metal work and fit to a stock you provided?

Looks damn good to me

Yes, I sent him the stock you see in the picture. Looks good to me too.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
TC1-

Good to hear, like I said, the metalwork looks really nice.
I sort of had a feeling that flash or some funny stuff with the camera was making the stock look a little weird.

As long a YOU are happy, that is all that really matters.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Well Spencer, you were right also. It's not a great finish. It's just a shooter and that's all I was expecting out of it. As a matter of fact, refinishing the stock wasn't in the plans from the begining. It might have been neccesary after the bedding and inletting though. Ether way, Like I said, I'm happy with it. It cycles great and John say's it's a shooter too. I'll find out for myself in the next week or two.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry-

You lucky dog; another beauty in your collection. All kidding aside your .375 looks great.

Let us know how she shoots.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adding one or two more thin coats of hand rubbed tung oil finish should not be too much trouble and would ensure the wood's protected better, as well as maybe giving it a bit more glow.....

Always an excuse to fondle a fine firearm.... Big Grin