New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield Project
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to hire someone to help rebuild a 1903 Springfield sporter I have. I want to do the stock myself. I need a gunsmith to supply and install a decent barrel, supply and install a side swing (model 70 style) safety, and reblue he metal work. I'm sure we'll think of something else.

The action will probably be a double heat treat model.

PM me if you are interested.
Thanks

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
part of the question is what do you want to spend?

are you wanting this to be a $1000 ride, $5000, or $don't care$ .. as there are smiths of all these "calibers" posting here.

here's my thoughts and parameters for this sort of thing.
statement of intent/game plan
"i want a springfield, in X caliber, metal finished Y way, with Z's trigger and A's safety, with B's barrel and C's scope+mount. It should weigh D#, and shoot E MOA. Optional F sights"

Caliber
30-06 or that sized case, or bigger? this may predicate price changes.

Barrel
My first three are Shilen, McGowen, and Douglas. There's many others, from AD to Badger, but do you want a cheap barrel, a cut barrel, or just a good shooting barrel? I care more about how it shoots.

Side safety
3 real choices -
2 pos swing - Jim Kobe
3 position from Ed Lapour - spendy, but great
post 64 m70 safety refitted to springfield. Yeah, it can be done.

Bluing
what would you like?
the whole thing medium polished and hot blued?
next higher, 3

Bead blasted/matte finish and hot blued? least cost, usually, 4

High polish and blued?
2nd highest, 2

Rust Blue? most expensive 1

Trigger?
timney - no safety

Bottom metal?
keep orginal
use the "alloy" engraved one (bleh) from brownells
modify a mauser hinged floor
numrich - $75 bucks
sunny hill - up to 600 bucks

I love springfields, and currently have 257 roberts, 300 win, 358 win, and 416 AR on them.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39595 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeffeosso.
I will be a deer rifle.
I want it rebarreled to 270 Winchester. No change to bottom metal. I like the two stage military trigger for hunting, so I'll keep it. Its drilled and tapped, bolt handle is ok.

I want a decent barrel, of a fairly light contour, 23" long. Doesn't have to be match grade, but it wouldn't hurt either. Its a hunting rifle, but I would like it to be a very accurate and easy to clean hunting rifle.

Hot blue is ok.

I'm looking for a professionals advise as well as his work. What level of finish is appropriate for an action in this condition? Which safety is most appropriate for a hunting rifle? Who's barrel do you trust? What barrel profile will be reasonably light, but still look nice with the Springfield action?

I'm sure lots of people can give me exactly what I ask for, but that doesn't mean I'll get what I need.

I always laugh when I hear someone ask "how much do you want to spend?" If I say $50,000, will he smile and say, yes I can do it at that price? There is an imbalance of information in those situations, one party knows the price, the other doesn't, which is that party asks the price! How much you want to spend on your new furnace has no bearings on my prices. What your needs are does.
I don't see what it matters how much I want to spend. I don't want to spend anything, and usually I don't. That's why I can afford this project.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jason,
any of the gentlemen who woul dtake your work can do the work. Its 4 weeks till deer season, I am pretty certain this won't be done in time.

If you want a decent rifle rebarrel and blue, send it over to IT&D, and they will do you a douglas barrel.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39595 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I wasn't expecting it for this year, next deer season may be optimistic, just for me to finish the stock. Working full time, farming part time, some renovation at home, and making the farm house livable have been plenty of work this year.

Jason