THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Shane Thompson wraps up his end of the Mini Mauser Project! (Picture heavy)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shane Thompson wraps up his end of the Mini Mauser Project! (Picture heavy)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
The metal is near finished and absolutely stunning. Shane really outdid himself on this one.One thing that was never obvious in the pictures he supplied was how small this action actually is. you never could get a good idea because he scaled everything down so well. The bottom pictures will help put everything in perspective. poetry in metal.

It'll be heading to James Anderson before long and it'll be his turn to do his magic on it. He will install an Oberndorf style handle and 3 position safety, then build a stock for. If you haven't seen any of James' work you're in for a treat. I'm a huge fan of the style stocks he builds.

I could go on but why? I got pictures!

Terry

Boy this thing is small!!!!

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful.

What did it start out as, and how much was it shortened?

At that, from where on the receiver did he remove the metal to shorten it?

Your hand looks huge against the action, that's a real jewel you have there.

Caliber/barrel length?

Again, that's a keeper.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
It's just a Charles Daly mini Mauser action that's been massaged to the hilt Big Grin That's James Andersons bow release bottom metal. It adds so much to the over all appeal of the barreled action.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh My ... that's gonna be an absolute beauty!!!!

sig

(Damn I do that a lot around here. Must be the number of delightful projects being done by folks who really know what they're doing for folks who know what they want and appreciate superb work!)

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Damm, Shane!
Well done!!!
wave

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Not another one like it.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous!!

What are you going to use for a safety, T?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post

That is the way Talley bases should be contured!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Gorgeous!!

What are you going to use for a safety, T?

Dakota 3-position. Mr. Anderson will be doing that.

Terry

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

That is the way Talley bases should be contured!

Wouldn't that be nice!

Terry

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Very very nice!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Terry! Makes me want to buy back my little Zestava.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This might be dumb homer but I think it would look real nice if you put some lettering on the side there. Something like g.33/20 or something like that.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
clap
Two sweeties in one week, I was wandering when someome would break loose with some pictures!

Real nice TC!!!!!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutly stuning! Very beautiful work.
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry-

Would you mind posting a picture of the stock blank you intend to use on this work of art?

Also, what rings are you using; they look like the "old" Warne rings from about 20 years ago when Warne made a really good looking scope ring?

Thanks in advance.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30 Caliber Mag Fan:
Terry-

Would you mind posting a picture of the stock blank you intend to use on this work of art?

Also, what rings are you using; they look like the "old" Warne rings from about 20 years ago when Warne made a really good looking scope ring?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Mark, yes the rings are those very old Warnes from many moons ago. they have a very sculptured look with the turned-in edges and tight turn levers. The screws turn in opposing directions. Pretty neat stuff even before Shane got hold of them. The rings like everything else on this action needed to be scaled down. There are so many things on this action you just don't notice until you compare the before and after.

Here are the rings before Shane got started. He some off the the thickness and width. He even took a little off the height!

Before

During

After

Like I say, I think you have to see something like this in person to get a feel for the amount of thought that went into it. Shane Thompson is a master gunbuilder.

Here is the blank that I'm planning on using. I bought it from JJS. He bought it from Denli a few years ago and decided he would never get around to using it and graciously let me buy it. The layout is stunning. It could use a little color though. I've got James Anderson on that now.

The stock will be an English stalking style. A short thin forearm, a little drop in the heal and very petite.

Here is one I've got James looking at. It's an original Jeffery. I want it to look like this except with a pancake cheek piece and James has sort of a "signature" style grip he puts on most of his stocks. I would like him to use it on mine as well.

For those who have never seen James' stock work you will be in for a treat.

Getting Shane to do this was a wonerful learning experience for me. He was very generous with his time and even bought a digital camera so he could share photographs with everyone to show the work in progress. I stopped posting the pics a while back as there didn't seem to be much interest in it. It kind of surprised me, but what the hell, what I find interesting others may not. Maybe we were too busy burning gunsmiths at the stake at the time. I dunno bewildered

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
I never lost interest. I thought it was just waiting for the next stage.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
I stopped posting the pics a while back as there didn't seem to be much interest in it.

Terry

I don't think it was a lack of interest; everyone was just stunned into silence.

That's one of the best thought-out and well executed projects that's been posted here. It's almost a shame to cover up so much good metal work with a stock.

I hope the three-position safety doesn't overwhelm the rest of the action. The Dakota safety (like all three position safeties) is fairly big. My preference is for the three-position safeties but in this case I'd think about a custom shroud with a two-position safety lever.

Kudos to Shane and James. Their work is just outstanding.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think it was a lack of interest; everyone was just stunned into silence.

That's one of the best thought-out and well executed projects that's been posted here. It's almost a shame to cover up so much good metal work with a stock.

times 2!!!!!

Terry, as aways, you have come up with a project that takes everybody's breath away.

More pictures please, the Board needs them. We need them.

You and Forrest set such a high bar but, that's one of the reasons we tune-in every day.

Thank you both for sharing your visions with all of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words guys. This was a fun and challenging project. About as much thought went into it as actual work. I bought two of these rifles years ago with the intentions of building my two sons some nice rifles. Well now two sons has turned into four......I hope I can find the time to get them some rifles built. I've got a few years but it's going fast.

I'm not sure what Terry posted previously for pics but I know I sent him a lot of them. There are a few stages I unintentionally missed just because I got caught up in the work and forgot to get out the camera. In some of them I show some jigs, and I took quite a few pics of the swivel stud, rear sight and quarter rib being made. Maybe you can talk him into digging out some more. Terry was great to work for and someone who truly appreciates and sees the work involved.

Shane

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shane-

My apologies for leaving you out of the praise, earlier.

Your work leaves me awe struck!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing your work with us!!!!!

P. Mark Stark

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
terry

that is an awesome job. can't wait to see the finish.

rich

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Very well done, Shane.

I, for one, would really like to see photos of the quarter rib machining process.

RK

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
Very well done, Shane.

I, for one, would really like to see photos of the quarter rib machining process.

RK

Hey Roger, here are some pictures Shane sent with commentary.

quarter rib in tracing jig and ready for final fitting.

front sight fitting, I didn’t get many pictures of it being built.

q-rib fit to barrel.

front sight

shaping quarter rib in the mill

more shaping on the lathe

http://photos.imageevent.com/lucky/shanethompsonminimau...bsize/IMG_0615_1.JPG

I'll post some more of them when I get a day off.

Terry

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting these pictures, TC. Post as many as ya want! Big Grin

Question: When soldering ribs and sights to a barrel like this, do you guard against the interior of the barrel against heat and discoloration or is it even an issue? Would useing the lower melting point solder, would ya still want some protection to the interior of the barrel?

IDGNMKR: Very nice and well planed out project, Something tells me TC is a happy customer! Smiler

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strax,
I don't worry about the interior of the barrel. I've got a borescope and it normally doesn't even color. My solder is low temp around 400 degrees...... I think? I've removed silver soldered pistol front sights and that scares me, but even at that I've never seen any adverse affects to the revolvers accuracy. It sure makes me nervous when the barrel glows red though.

Forrest, Bent, Scrollcutter, Strax, 30 Cal mag fan, and others many thanks.

Shane

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:

I hope the three-position safety doesn't overwhelm the rest of the action. The Dakota safety (like all three position safeties) is fairly big.

My concern also, would it be an idea to make a tang-extention and a tang safety? Or make something out of the original shroud, as Forest suggest?

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The two are pretty close as far as size goes. James Anderson posted a picture of one he did on a mini mauser and it looks right at home to me.

Terry

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
This picture belongs to James Anderson. It's a Mini he built and used the same safety on. I like it.

Terry

PS. Look at that cool trigger.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
That'll work. thumb

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote