New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of Oviedo was that?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was rooting around in the neighborhood gun cave today when I saw what looked like a 1917 commercial FN Mauser. Had no thumb notch, did have the stripper clip cut out. Has some clean but illegible crest and I believe the tag said something Latin on it. Sorry but between my rapidly fading near vision and the very dark store that's all I could see. The gun looked to be unmolested and was very clean.

What the hell was it and is it worth $125.00 on a C&R? Nope didn't get the caliber as I was heading out the door and the tag didn't say.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate to say, but any clean mauser is worth a buck and a quarter nowdays, especialy a FN.
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure but it would be interesting to know whether it was bastardized or not. I'm definately not the old Mauser expert.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons I always have my digital camera with me is this type of encounter.

Difficult to say with so little information but I never heard of such a thing like 1917 FN since Belgium was occupied for 4 years..

Maybe a Modelo 1912.

Get it!

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll head over and grab it. It had "1917" below the crest and no finger slot on the left side.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do you say it is a FN ?

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cause the stooopid tag says so. It could be anything as I couldn't see the makers name. I'll go check it out and report back. It can't be anything too exotic or it wouldn't be $125.00.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only german military adopted Mauser rifles had year of manufacture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm......I just sent them a request for more details. Should know more shortly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only 1917s I can recall seeing are on Oberndorf GEWs (often Turk-ed) which still have thumb cuts, and the US Model of 1917 - don't have one of the latter handy, but I am pretty sure they say that on the front ring, and lack a thumb cut.

Are you sure it wasn't an Enfield? That would definitely be worth $125 in my book. Of course so would any Mauser too.

Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not an Enfield and much slimmer receiver profile. Definately no thumb cut. Serial number on the port side below the reciver cut out.

Crest on the top of the receiver with 1917 behind that. I'll be there tom. to pick up a SIG so will photograph the details and post here.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Photos please. Photos.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will be over there in a couple hours and take some photos - post later in the day.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A sporterized 1917 Oviedo in 8mm. The stock, and barrel match the receiver but have been altered from the original. Did this think originally have a bent bolt or was that a mod.?

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
Was rooting around in the neighborhood gun cave today when I saw what looked like a 1917 commercial FN Mauser. Had no thumb notch, did have the stripper clip cut out. Has some clean but illegible crest and I believe the tag said something Latin on it. Sorry but between my rapidly fading near vision and the very dark store that's all I could see. The gun looked to be unmolested and was very clean.

What the hell was it and is it worth $125.00 on a C&R? Nope didn't get the caliber as I was heading out the door and the tag didn't say.

Any FN-made M-98 type rifle in excellent condition with no thumb cut is probably worth a lot more than $125.00, just for the action....

HOWEVER!! That clunker is NOT an FN, it was made in Spain (Oviedo Armory) in 1917 and is undoubtedly an M93 or M95 type. Unless rebarreled, it is in 7X57mm caliber, and is one of the "weak" variety. Judging by the action, I hate to think what the bore is like. I would save my $125.00 for better use.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
SR Spanish '93 or what is sometimes referred to as a Spanish 1916. Basically a '93 and NOT an FN.

The 1916's had a turned down bolt.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boat anchor or worth salvaging the action for a donor? For which load was this thing originally designed?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tag says 8mm but it also says FN! animal

What makes it weak? Design or material?

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
That action actually doesn't look bad.

The pre-98s in general don't handle gas as well as the 98's. The Spanish mausers tend to have heat treat issues. They run all over the board but I've seen many more that were soft than hard.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spanish Mausers were originally chambered in 7x57. I'd spend the $125 on something else.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arent those smal ring large thread?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can buy a complete like new M24/47 for $175 but it has that idiot thumb hole! Mostly I'm feeling like grinding and filing on something. Buying something new off the rack would be a lot cheaper than trying to make perfection out of something 100 years old.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can buy a complete like new M24/47 for $175 but it has that idiot thumb hole! Mostly I'm feeling like grinding and filing on something. Buying something new off the rack would be a lot cheaper than trying to make perfection out of something 100 years old.

I have a 24/47 that's an "in the box" arsenal refurb from Big 5 that you can have for $150 plus shipping.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 93 Spanish while not top of the line like the Swedes and 95 Chilean can be made into nice little rifles.

I built this to get my grandkids started in 6.5x55. A 100 gr. ballistic tip at 2600 is very mild to shoot yet deadly on deer.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle Senor Rojelio. Did you do most of the work yourself?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Macifej, I did all the work. It's not top of the line like a lot of the guys here do and most of the components were cheap, but, it is very functional and 100% reliable and it will keep 5 shots right around an inch.

I built it with a 12 1/4 in. length of pull and all up it weighs 7 1/4 lb.

I have 2 grandsons that are both 8 yrs. old and they can handle it quite well.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the Spanish 93s have a badly pitted bolt face and bad bores. Of the hundreds I have looked at I have seen one Oviedo with a decent bore.
I still look at Spaniards though because I have found a few made in Germany.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bolt face on this one is clean but I didn't loo at the bore cause I wouldn't use the barrel. If it was made in Germany would it not say so rather than Oviedo on the ring?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The German made 93s say Modelo Espaniol 1893 or some such on the left receiver wall and have a Spanish crest on the top of the receiver ring.
They are much nicer than the Oviedos.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what's the difference between the 93, 95, & 1916? Was thinking about grabbing one of these to test out my grinding, filing, sanding skills by hand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what's the difference between the 93, 95, & 1916? Was thinking about grabbing one of these to test out my grinding, filing, sanding skills by hand.

Functionally they are all the same. The early 93's had a square boltface at the bottom, the 95's didn't. The 1916's had the added vent hole in the receiver ring.