New
Find
Notify
Tools

doing some bedding work
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have this Winchester Mod 70 Featherweight Classic that I had Chris over @ PacNor rebarrel etc. in the .338-06 with a #3 contour barrel. I am attempting to use this existing stock with this large and oversized barrel and what hogging out I have done leaves some very little sides at the narrowest point just before the Schnabel end.
I will cut into the bottom of the stock about a 1/8" from receiver ring abouts down to the forend. To prevent any warping I have looked into various sites on this full bedding technique to provide strength and more than likely began to use Devcon Aluminum Putty instead of Accraglass. Seems this stuff does not strink like Brownells or is not effected by solvents. Perhaps Marine-Tex would work as well.
What do you think about me strenthening the forestock with Devcon? I will this winter replace the stock but presently trying to get this rifle up and running for moose season.
Is this logical? Slim stock with a large barrel. Holds quite nicely in my hands and balances well. Feel free to give me pointers.

regards,

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz007:
I have this Winchester Mod 70 Featherweight Classic that I had Chris over @ PacNor rebarrel etc. in the .338-06 with a #3 contour barrel. I am attempting to use this existing stock with this large and oversized barrel and what hogging out I have done leaves some very little sides at the narrowest point just before the Schnabel end.
I will cut into the bottom of the stock about a 1/8" from receiver ring abouts down to the forend. To prevent any warping I have looked into various sites on this full bedding technique to provide strength and more than likely began to use Devcon Aluminum Putty instead of Accraglass. Seems this stuff does not strink like Brownells or is not effected by solvents. Perhaps Marine-Tex would work as well.
What do you think about me strenthening the forestock with Devcon? I will this winter replace the stock but presently trying to get this rifle up and running for moose season.
Is this logical? Slim stock with a large barrel. Holds quite nicely in my hands and balances well. Feel free to give me pointers.

regards,

First! Ain't nothing wrong with Brownells Acraglas. If there was, Brownells, the worlds leading supplier of materials to the professional gunsmithing trade, would not be selling it left and right! Don't be fooled into believing all you hear. I've been using the stuff for years and years with excellent results.

Now, you say you are going to replace the stock later anyway, so why not simply float the forend and be done with it. I will probably shoot better floated anyway. If it doesn't then you can go back and full bed it.

If you decide to float it, the only thing you will need the forend for is for a place to attach your sling and to place your hand. Don't worry about what it looks like. You're going to replace it anyway, remember? Good luck!

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malm, I am glad you find the Brownells product works good for you. I find it very intriguing what Gale McMillan found in the use of Marine-Tex and Bobbits and Chisholms use of Devcon.

http://yarchive.net/gun/rifle/bedding.html

I noticed that the free floating was talked there in that site just as you mentioned for accuracies and I am sure mine would work out the same way too. I was inquiring about the use of full bedding from most of all here in this forum, as I have pretty darn high regard for most of whom declare this and that thru yrs of experience.

I do "remember" as you so eloquently put it and surely that is down the road but.. who wants to take a damn rifle out that might not hold up under the rigors. I was hoping for a better answer thru your experience and insight.

Push come to shove yes in the last minute I could come across extra monies to pick up a fine stock and get it worked over but who knows how that will work out in regards to the "opening" season to call in Bullwinkle and shoot a nice Griz.

All this talk of the .338-06 is caused by this ARforumSmiler and I have it almost completed. But...................integrity is the curious question now.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have inlaid aluminum arrow shafts in the forearm and then bedded over them. This seems to add a little "rigidity"(sounds like a Jim Varneyism).

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
grizz007,
i have used devcon,marine tex,hi score,bisonite, the brownell products and some others i probally forgot. they all work well and i have never really had a problem with any of them. i use whatever will work and is the customers preferance. i once used devcon titanium, $60 per pound, because the customer believed it was the "best", made for an expensive bedding job.
go to a flea market and find yourself an old bass fishing pole made out of graphite and boron. it will be tapered, so cut a piece that will fit into your groove you cut in the stock, bigger part towards the action. after you cover it with bedding it will help stiffen that skinny for arm to some degree.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
carbon fiber arrow shaft?

I have changed to using marine tex whenever possible, seems to take bigin's better, but that could just be a rationalization.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
grizz, Don't have a thing to add, but would be interested in the end result of your light weight stock when you finish it. Considering doing the same thing with a mountain rifle stock, rem. action, and standard contour rebarrel. Like the smaller stocks for deer caliber carry rifles. The just seem to handle a little different. PM or post a picture if you don't mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz007:
I was hoping for a better answer thru your experience and insight.

I'm sorry you didn't like my answer. But I gave it based on my experience, acraglas and free floating works! But, if you want to hear that fully bedding your barrel and the use of Devcon Aluminum will work, then sure, it will work.

Don't know how well it will work and neither will anyone else because each gun and bedding job is different. You won't know until you try it with your gun. Be sure to wax the barrel real good. And it doesn't have to be simonize car wax, Johnsons paste furniture wax works equally as well. Good luck!

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't know how well it will work and neither will anyone else because each gun and bedding job is different.

So it seems. As I reread a few otherpeices of past info it seems like the paste is preferred as it is easily manipulated into and on the stock - no migrating. Marine-Tex mmmmh.
It is such a small nimble stock, just wanted to know of what if any here had time in on doing such a beast.

thanks-confidence man! confidence, I will be using that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Devcon Aluminum Putty will be damaged by many common solvents used with firearms-look on the web site for specs. The titatium is great but hard to work with as it's very thick when mixed. Check the hobby shops for products used in flying models-graphite cloth and epoxy in small amounts . Your best idea is to use acra glass with some fine fiberglass matt to reinforce it.Use tape for clearances.
Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote