New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt handle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can the bolt handle on a CZ 550 magnum be straightened to look more like a Obendorfh?

I understand the hole thats located in the end of the bolt knob can be filled. So do you just build it up with weld, and shape with a file?

Any ideas or comments please.

Thanks

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't reahpe the one that is there and get anything even remotely approaching an Oberndorf handle. But you can replace it and get a different one. I think if you paid some one a fair wage, you would have just as much in a reworked factory handle compared to a new one, and the reworked one still would come up far short. If you are not happy with it, it needs to go.

Here is a Talley handle:

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll take it !! Thanks so much for the picture. How much time would it take for a gunsmith to install?

I think this Talley bolt handle is the way to go. Is this the same company that makes Talley scope rings?

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I straightened the handle on both my 416Rigby 550 and my 375H&H 602, reshaped the knob slightly to more closly approximate the Mauser knob shape. I filled the hole in the knob with a piece of wood I had brought back from Zim and turned a small piece of Warthog tusk I had killed in Zim to approx 3/16". After checkering the insert I drilled and inserted the ivory dowel in the center. Looks pretty good cost nothing and has mementos of the hunt. The Talley handle does look better in my opinion

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Maxbear, here is a pic of my cz550 .375 with a straightened and filled bolt handle. It was done by American Hunting Rifles in Montana.

www.hunting-rifles.com

sorry for the pic quality. (a little blurry)

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
This is my personal favorite. Sorry, only pic I have available at this hour.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Max-

BOlt handle prices are all over the board, and to a large extent depends on what quality level you want. $150 will get you just about any handle job you want.

Jim Bair at Half Moon makes some very nice bolt handles too. I am going to use one of his on my next bolt handle job.

Dave Talley used to make several metal components for the trade. he sold the ring and base business, I have no idea who makes the bolt handles now

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:

Z1r, Thanks. I like this one as well. From the picture it appears that the knob is larger then the Talley. Where did you find this bolt handle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc, here is a link to brownells that I found. Is this the same bolt handle thats on your rifle?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...le=CLASSIC+BOLT+KNOB

Also what do you guys think of these knobs?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...=ENGRAVED+BOLT+KNOBS

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxbear:
quote:

Z1r, Thanks. I like this one as well. From the picture it appears that the knob is larger then the Talley. Where did you find this bolt handle?

Maxbear,

That handle was done by Tom Burgess. The handle is his design. The knob is larger, very much like the original magnum mauser handle. Much nicer than a Talley.

Jim Baiar does have some very nice handles, I rather like them. His oberndorf style is larger than the Talley and smaller than the Magnum I had Mr Burgess install.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is Jim Baiar? How can I reach him?

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I believe this is the correct contact info. If not, someone will correct me.

Half Moon Rifle Shop- 490 Halfmoon Rd, Columbia Falls, MT. Phone: (406) 892-4409

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that Talley is what is on the rifle I posted.

Th echeckered knobs are smaller than the Talley-something to consider when uou are dealing w/ a big action such as the CZ.

I talked to Jim at Half Moon a few months ago about his handles, and I think he said he has 2 sizes. Anyway, as stated in my first post up above, I am going to try one of his the next time I have a bolt handle to weld on

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe this is the correct contact info. If not, someone will correct me.

Half Moon Rifle Shop- 490 Halfmoon Rd, Columbia Falls, MT. Phone: (406) 892-4409

Z1r, that contact information is correct.

I gave him a call, and ordered one of his bolt knobs. By the way he's a real nice guy.

I want to thank you guys for your help.

Smiler

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Maxbear,

Glad that worked out for you. Yeah, Jim is a real pleasure to do business with!

You will like his handle.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a copy of Tom Turpin's book on David Miller, take a look at the photo on pages 172-173. The best bolt job I have ever seen in my life on a 1909 Argentine. How he gets those 4 raised panels for checkering on there is beyond me.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Dave Miller's 1909 bolt but several years ago I took an end mill and cut 3 recesses or holes if you will in a bolt knob then silver soldered short rods in and dressed to contour of knob but slightly raised then checkered the 3 panels. If I must say it turned out rather nice. Wanted to case color but didn't know how.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
I don't know about Dave Miller's 1909 bolt but several years ago I took an end mill and cut 3 recesses or holes if you will in a bolt knob then silver soldered short rods in and dressed to contour of knob but slightly raised then checkered the 3 panels. If I must say it turned out rather nice. Wanted to case color but didn't know how.

Zimbabwe

Maybe thats what Miller did. (Turpin, if you are reading this come on and tell us how he did it)
So, if you did it with round rods soldered in the bolt knob, surely it could be done with little teardrop pieces of steel welded in the knob and dressed off to be just a checkering depth above the bolt.

Wanna try it. I will supply a new Baiar Bolt handle.

Once again, take a look at it on pages 172-173 of the Turpin book.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
22WRF
Thanks for the offer but at 73 and arthritis I don't do much work any more.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Here's a different knob from the book.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's used to sell a cast replacement bolt handle that had raised panels already there.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Brownell's used to sell a cast replacement bolt handle that had raised panels already there.

They were only two panel and three panel, and both the knobs and the shaft of the handle were quite small.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thornell, thanks for posting the picture of your rifle.

Onward....

I just thought of something that I should of asked the fella over at the half moon gun shop. Its a question regarding the bolt knob on a OG magnum mauser. What is the knob diameter?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
cut 3 recesses or holes if you will in a bolt knob then silver soldered short rods in and dressed to contour of knob but slightly raised then checkered the 3 panels. If I must say it turned out rather nice. Wanted to case color but didn't know how.

question:

can a piece be CC'd if it is soldered, or would the temperatures used remelt the solder?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Have absolutely no idea as I DON'T have the foggiest idea HOW color case is done which is why I didn't do it. I know how to case HARDEN something using a preparation, if I remember, was called casenit. That required heating the item to be hardened to dull red but did not necessarily give color to the item usually a dull grey. Was done to render something made of mild steel to have a hard surface. I have no idea HOW the beautiful colors that some produce now is done. I know it probably requires heat but to what temperatures I have no knowledge.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just opened a package from the Half Moon gun shop. Its a nice bolt handle.

A man I talked to once told me about positioning the handle about 1 degree back. He said he did this because if the handle is welded straight down then it will look like its bent forward. Is this true?

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that too. What I think is meant is that you do not want the front edge of the bolt handle to drop straight down. The arm of the bolt handle is tapered, so if you have the front edge dropping straight down, then it will look funky. What you want to do is visualize the centerline of the bolt handle and have that intersect the root on the bolt body at 90°.

We all have our ways of making handles, with many inspired by Tom Burgess.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Max,

I had a straight oberndorf style welded to one of my bolts and if you look at the ejection port of the action, the handle does look like it leans a bit foward. I guess its an illusion since the mass of the action if foward of the bolt handle.Just my guess since the handle is perfectly straight.
Bob