Find
Notify
Tools

ZG47 rebarrel question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,
My recently acquired ZG47 in 270Win has a barrel that shoots shotgun patterns...totally gone. So it will be rebarrelled in the coming months. Sort of decided to go the 8x68S route as Lothar Walther can supply a chambered and threaded barrel, I've found a source for cases and RCBS dies and its sort of different. Does anyone have any experience with pre-chambered/threaded Lothar Walther barrels? And what are the thread specs on the ZG47s.
Thanks...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Con, Thread, Metric. M2 X 28 m/m, Nominal. Avg. Dia around 1.097 + or- and an M2 thd is 12.7 TPI.

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
Con

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems a great pity to have to open up a bolt face on such a classic action. Care to sell it to me?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted

No pitty at all The Brno ZG-47 was offerd in 8X68S upon request.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
"Seems a great pity to have to open up a bolt face on such a classic action."

1894, I agree. Unless these great and scarce rifles are shot out or worn out, they should be left alone. Little to improve upon.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006,
The idea behind the 8x68S is that the ZG47 was available in this caliber by special order. My barrel is indeed gone and the headspace is out as well. Hopefully the new 8mm barrel will get this great rifle back into the hunting fields doing what its been doing for the past 47 years. ZG47s aren't too rare in Australia, a dealer near me had a mint ZG47 in 270Win and Pecar scope come in a few weeks ago with the owner keen to sell.
Cheers...
Con

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Con: If the rifle needs rebarreling, then by all means. I'd follow the contour of the original barrel and use the banded front and rear sights off the old barrel.

Regarding the 8x68S, I have comprehensive factory literature on ZG-47s and it does not list the 8x68S. Factory chamberings were 7x57, 7x64, 8x57S, 8x60S, 8x64S, 270Win, 30-06, 9.3x62, and 10.75x68 & 5.6x61 on special order. They also specify no cartridge longer than 3.33" (85mm). The 8x68S overall length is 3.38". I'm sure the magazine could be made to accommodate this cartridge but it may require lengthening.

ZGs were not imported in the USA, only 20,000 were made, most seem to have been exported to Canada, Sweden, Switzerland, RSA and Australia. Exceptional weapons.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

The 8x68 is a viable option as the overall action length of the M 21 is the same as the ZG 47 and the ZG was originally chambered as a special order option.

Gentlemen

This was about the Brno m-21 a few weeks ago. According to Alf the ZG-47 was upon special order camberd in 8X68S

My ZG-47's have been approx 88-88,5 mm long magazines and 8X68S can be housed in Brno ZG-47. In VihtaVouri reloading manual the OAL lenght for the 8X68S cartridges are 86-86,5 mm.

Cheers

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The 8x68S is not mentioned in old Brno ZG-47 literature. Quoting from original Brno technical data:

"On request, a ZG-47 rifle can be obtained with a barrel for 10.75x68 ammunition, or 5.6x61 "Von Hofe", or any other rimless cartridge the overall length of which does not exceed 3.33" (85mm). " The bold type is theirs, not mine.

It is possible the 8x68S was available in the ZKK-602, that magazine is certainly long enough.

Another quote from the same Brno literature:

"Of the above mentioned cartridges [named in my post above], the one that can be called universal and is best recommended is the calibre 8x64S. Its characteristics are high muzzle velocity, outstanding shooting accuracy and great stopping power."

Perhaps their is some confusion between the 8x64S & 8x68S?

<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

The ZG 47 Rifle was made in 8X68S on a special order basis and I have knowledge of at least one such rifle. Fact is I had it in hand and was in the proccess of buying it when at number 99 the seller withdrew the gun from sale when he cottoned on that I got excited when I saw it.

Well

I have seen and used a Brno ZG-47 in 9,3X64 it's a factory made rifle and the barrels is original. I also know of a 404 Jeffery made for a "influential" person.

Cheers

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Why didn't you buy it? I've also heard of a "factory original" 404 but no confirmation. I'm always hearing about special order, one of a kind rifles, etc. Most turn out to be alterations, if they exist at all, but not always.

<JOHAN>
posted
fla3006

The quote regarding the 8X68S is an older one by Alf. I know persons who traded with the East Block and the factories would make almost anyting within resonable limits.

The 9,3X64 had a factory stamped barrel. No rebarreld stuff

Cheers

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Why didn't you buy the 9.3x64? Obviously a very rare piece, if original.

By the way, I just received an email from an acquaintance in Sweden who says he knows of a 6.5x57, another round not cataloged for the ZG, although available in the earlier 21/22s.

<JOHAN>
posted
fla3006
I might be able to
The rifle bellongs to friend of the family. It's in Africa for most of the time

I heard the talk too

Cheers
/ JOHAN