Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Marlin 39 Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Rob, my boy's rifle is exactly like that one. If you've never messed with one, they are incredibly cool. I'd hate to take one that worked out of service just to strip it for parts. A rifle like that, well, it just seems like it ought to be shot, and by a small boy if possible.

I have a 39A Oj and love the little thing! It's accurate and a ball to shoot with the Lyman receiver sight I put on it. But the one in the ad has seen better days, the owner says it may not be that accurate so iwouldn't feel bad about using it for parts at this point. Hell, you could alwys use the bolt until you find another then switch it back and have one for son & dad!

Posts: 1680 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for your replies. Rob, my boy's rifle is exactly like that one. If you've never messed with one, they are incredibly cool. I'd hate to take one that worked out of service just to strip it for parts. A rifle like that, well, it just seems like it ought to be shot, and by a small boy if possible.

Jim Wisner, do you have a 39A bolt? If you don't, and if I could find one, could you do the fitting? Finally, if we put in a 39A bolt, can we shoot high-speed ammo? I'm in Seattle and would happily drive down to deliver the rifle to you.

Thanks, Okie John

one of us
posted Hide Post
I imagine the breech bolts are different and can't be retrofitted.

I'll give you a couple of places to try, but I had trouble finding parts for a much newer 39. It was not the latest production, but one made in the 70's. The good news is I finally found what I needed.

Try,

Brock's Gunsmithing email: gunsmith@brocksgunsmithinginc.com

and,

Ponderosa Enterprises

8524 Red Mountain Road

Livermore, CO.

970-224-2668

email: verncg@frii.com

and,

Bob's Gun Parts online at

and,

Chas Jones Gun Parts

and,

if none of the above help, here's a web page with the search results for gun parts. You can start emailing or calling and see what's available.

I've found most everything I was looking for at either Brock's or Ponderosa.

Good luck finding your parts. The good news is that it is unlikely they would need to be hand fitted. I guessing here, but on the newer 39s, most of the parts are drop in fit.

Your father-in-law is a gent of great discernment, he gave a very fine rilfle to his grandson. It is, I believe, the oldest continuously produced 22 rifle in history. I am a 39 fan big time, hence all the parts information. I would love to have one of the older guns, but I satisfy myself with a late '70s 39M in prestine condition and a mid '70s vintage 39A, that I have had to rebuild the carrier on. They are shooters of the first order and I like them better than the 9422's, and BL22's I've had.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The broken bolt you are talking about is common with these older Marlin 22 lever actions.

In 1932? they redesigned the bolt to accept HIGH SPEED ammo.

This was a change in several of the cuts in the bolt to strengthen that area.

You have a couple of choices.

Find a Marlin 39A bolt with out the cross bolt safety feature, and have it fitted to your rifle.

You can find model 1897 bolts from time to time on Ebay and then have it fitted to your rifle. However remember the bolt is only good for STANDARD VEl ammo.

We have started on some replacement bolts for these older Marlins. Just have not had time to finish them all the way yet.

More information on these rifles is in Brophy's book about Marlins.

Jim Wisner
Wisner's Inc

Posts: 36 | Location: Adna Washington | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's an idea OJ, why not try to find a parts gun? That way you'll be ready if anything else happens along the way.

This one is on Auction Arms and is said to be mechanically good, just most of the finish is worn off.

Marlin 39

Probably cheaper than having a smith do the work, lots of spares for the future.

There are others around but as the condition goes up so does the price.

Regards,

Rob Di Stasio

Posts: 1680 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote