New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mesquite bush/tree?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have pictures of what mesquite bush looks like?

I did a search and couldnt find a picture.

I was on a job in So Cal area near Warner Springs and got a bunch of thick wood chuncks/root/base trunk .Its a dark redish color ,very dense,heavy, marbley,burl looking stuff. Neat wood . Im wondering if its mesquite.

I never knew the exact species of bush thats in this area. Maybe mesquite. We always just called it scrub oak , but it isnt oak , there is manzanita at higher elevations but its not manzanita.

Its all over the place and thick . Ive chased Quail and hunted all through the stuff. Never knew exactly what it is.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it's an F'IN WEED!!!

mesquite has THORNS ... lots of them... coated in the sap of the thing... which, of, btw, is a natural defoliant!!! there's a REASON is smells like deisel!!!

it's a tree... when it grows big enough it's a brittle tree that collapses under it's own weight... and then 50 of them pop up... along with 1498194829851235 yupons!!!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the variety sometimes used for gunstocks is Screwbean Mesquite. I don't know if that is different from our "beloved" Texas Mesquite, but I'm bettin' it is.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Properly sawn, air-dried and aged, mesquite makes for great two-piece bar-b-que wood.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
What the H E double Q is a yupon?? bewildered

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Soverns:

Yaupon. I'm assuming he means the desert yaupon and not yaupon holly.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have made some coffee tables and such out of mesquite and it is beautiful. But it is an absolute evil thing to harvest and work with. I have always wanted to make a 2 piece stock out of the stuff. It can have some incredible figure in it.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
We have more mesquite than a person could ever desire in Texas - your welcome to all you can cut.

Has anyone ever heard of a stock made out of bois-d'arc I know it is incredibly strong and durable?

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I saw a poorly done homemade stock made of bois-d'arc at a gunshow last year. It's a pretty wood - gets slightly orange with age.

Back when I was in the boy scouts, one of my scout masters was in to making his own bows and arrows. He preferred bois-d'arc (osage orange) for making his bows and spent months scouting out the right tree and working the wood. It made for one hell of a bow!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
When I was going to Trinidad Roy Weatherby came by the school driving a station wagon. He took everyone out to the wagon and opened the back which was full of turned stocks. He let us all pick one. I picked a mesquite with holly inlays and a rosewood forearm tip and grip cap. Made up into a really beautiful rifle. The wood really eats up the edge on your chisels but seems to be a pretty good wood . It is fairly open grain. Makes beauriful furniture and the burls turn into magnificent lamps that sell for BIG bucks. I live in southern Arizona and its pretty common here. There are basically 2 varieties here Native and Chilean which is mostly whats planted for landscaping. The bean on a screwbean looks like a corkscrew which is where it gets the name screwbean.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it was used on the early 460 Weatherbys

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mesquite is a member of the legume [bean ] family ,therefore the seeds are in a pod like peas.The family includes acacia of Africa [beans a very important food source], locust, coffee tree,koa [hawaii] desert ironwood, mesquite and screw bean mesquite [the long bean pod is twisted]. They have beans and they have thorns. The fancy grain of koa and screwbean make fine furniture.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I once built a stock from Mesquite, back when Fajen (sometimes) carried it. Made a pretty stock. The customer loved it. I was less enthused by the experience.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bois d Arc / Osage Orange / Horseapple tree is a beautiful, extremely dense wood prone to cracking. I have a small piece that I have made knife handles out of. Probably the hardest, heaviest piece of wood I have ever worked with. Oak, Wild Cherry and Hard rock Maple are much easier to work with. Does make a nice self-bow (one piece all wood bow).

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok I dont think this stuff is mesquite. Its more like a sage bush. No Thorns, beans or sticky sap stuff like. It is kinda like mansanita in bush form, except straighter branches coming out of a stump. no noticeable sticky sap. Manzanita has stick sap on its leaves. Branches are higher than your head over 6ft if your walking through it . It grows at abut 3000 ft elevation in Ca desert plateus inbetween high mountains inland from coast mountains, and dont see it lower like 1500ft at all. A 4x4x12" piece weighs a lot . Its very heavey like a rock. We use to collect and burn this stuff called iron wood but it was at 6000 ft elevation .
I will have to do some reserch and find out what it is.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the mesquites here in Texas are the variety known as flat pod. I know a local stock maker who has tried to build a few stocks from it. It has pretty color but rather plain figure. He also had problems getting it to dry properly with out cracking or checking.

All the highly figured variety I've seen is known as screwbean mesquite. Supposedly is found around the California and Mexican deserts.

Around Texas we love it for grilling deer steaks and smoking hogs. Burns a little hot to use in the old fireplace.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
The redish brown color likely makes it one our lowland manzanita's -- probably Otay or Eastwood variety. If not, you may have removed some of our rare and endangered coastal sage, in which case you're going to jail. shame

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
South 40 ,

The stuff isnt rare. It was stump and root wood ,dug up by a backhoe. Its in eastern sand deigo county/riverside county area off hwy 79 near warner springs. Its all over the place around aguanga,anza,oak grove,sunshine summit areas if you have been through that area.

I have a bunch of Manzanita I got up on the desert side of Big Bear/ Arrowhead.

PS I did a search of eastwood and otay. Otay looks like the stuff in the east SanBernadino Mtns
This could be some kind of manzanita .

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Don Dobratz near Victoria, Texas makes some of the most beautiful stocks you will ever see out of local mesquite. Hard and dense as a rock, red/pink in color, unusual but still very beautiful, somewhat brittle but still plenty strong enough for heavy recoiling rifles.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Manzinita is red, and twisted sometimes, but I have never seen a piece large enough for a stock. I made a nice sling shot frame from a piece once. Still have it but it split when it dried.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine in San Antonio has a Mod. 70 with a Mesquite stock. It is beautiful and heavy.

The amount of, respect/hatred, for mesquite is proportional to the amount of time you have spend clearing a road in West Texas.

I prefer mine bedded in a good smoker with brisket and ribs!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic of a stock I made from "flat bean" mesquite. As far as I know, there are 2 varietys, flat bean and screw bean. Screw bean is preferred for gunstocks as it usually has more color/figure. It is a hard, dense wood. I got this wood from a friend that lives in the valley-he uses a lot of mesquite in his wood working projects.

Hubert

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picture of a screwbean mesquite:

www.desertusa.com/jan97/du-smesquite.html

Honey mesquite:

www.noble.org/imagegallery/woodhtml/Mesquite.html

More mesquite pictures (scroll down to where the author says "Death to Mesquite..." the pictures are higher quality there. Long page.

http://www.tarleton.edu/~range/Shrublands/Rio%20Grande%20Plains/riograndeplains.html

As an aside, I typed mesquite legume in as a yahoo! search term. Just typing in mesquite, of course, returns innumerable restaurants, ski resorts, travel agencies, and barbecue sauce makers. I figured all the nerdy sites with pictures would mention the bush being a bean-bearing legume plant.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Early Weatherby made with mesquite:

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fla3006

You have quite a nice collection of photos from the Wby past.

Have you got any of the birdseye maple and fishscale checkering.

Do you know I had the old Wby guides and also an original copy of John Taylor's book and I gave it all (plus some other things) to someone who did me a favour many years ago.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear GSP7,
It could be a wood called [in Oregon] Madrone. Very heavy and reddish like Manzanita but grows much taller and thicker at the butt. Checks badly but will make an "interesting" stock but HEAVY!! Trees grow to 40 ft or so and have a reddish/orange color on the outer trunks and limbs.Difficult to work and finish. ???????

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mesquite grows in Mexico, Texas and California near the border, maybe in Arizona and even as far North as So. New Mexico perhaps...

California Mesquite that I have use tends to be yellowish and plane for the most part..Texas Mesquite is brown to rose colored mostly...

mesquite trees get pretty big and grow along the ground or close to the ground as a rule..Mesquite grown in West Texas and Calif. is the better wood for stock making as the climate is dryer.

The problem with Mesquite is you have a fine blank and then you find sand pockets in it from the size of a pin head to a baseball..Hit one of these puppies with a chain saw and I assure you it will get your attention...You will cut a lot of wood before you find a suitable blank for a rifle or shotgun for that matter..A chain saw tends to melt through the wood as opposed to cutting it and it will ruin a good chain saw blade in a hurry...

I have built a couple of stocks for DGR out of mesquite as its very heavy and that helps in the recoil dept...A good piece of Mesquite is quite beatifull and harder n woodpecker lips...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike375: Have you got any of the birdseye maple and fishscale checkering

Mike, the one pictured is the only Weatherby I own now. Did you see the pics of Herb Klein's Weatherbys on the African forum? You might want to join the Weatherby Collectors Association.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Soverns:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/natives/ilexvomitoria.htm

it looks like a wild and scruffy boxwood.. i bet EVERY stem of it is genetically the same all across the state... grows fast, mkes thickets that will stop a cat d9, and hide a full grown eland at 10 step...

funny, i've never seen bois d'arc spelled out any other way than "beauxdart"

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used it for handles on one knife I made, but haven't used it since. It's not my favorite wood for handles. The rest of the mesquite board has been sitting in the shop for over 20 years since. It's the yellow stuff, not the darker wood.
Don

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Don Dobbratz should remember the Weatherby gift as we were in the same class at TJC. Is he full time smithing? Does anyone have an e-mail address for him? Sure would appreciate it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only question I have is where to get it. My wife's family is in Texas and I can't find pieces large enough for a stock. I love the way it looks and have many forend tips from it, I just need something bigger. What I would like to have quickly are two pieces 1.5"x1.5"x30".

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
The only question I have is where to get it. My wife's family is in Texas and I can't find pieces large enough for a stock. I love the way it looks and have many forend tips from it, I just need something bigger. What I would like to have quickly are two pieces 1.5"x1.5"x30".

Here is one source. Do a search for "mesquite lumber" and you will find several that carry gunstock blanks.

http://www.texasmesquitelumber.com/

William Berger

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
When I was stationed at Ft Hood I salvaged several mesquite trees for lumber. I wish I would have kept a few of the better pieces for stocks. Instead I turned it all into furniture.

Here is a link to the sawmill who cut all my lumber for me. I am not sure if they are still as easy to work with since they now have new owners, but they used to bend over backwards if you were looking for something special.

http://www.texaswoodwork.com/

William Berger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe,

I spoke with Don a yr of so back, he was pretty well backed up, and its my understanding he is getting up in yrs, but I have never met him. I think he still makes stocks, but he wasnt taking amymore work, but that may have changed. I had his phone number at one time, but can't find it. I think he is still located in Edna Texas or close by in one of the small towns around lake Texana.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Gringo Cazador,
Thanks much. We were at TSJC in 52 so we are both along in years.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fla3006,

Actually I gave those pictures to Saeed to post up Smiler They came from a bloke in Australia who is in the Wby Collectors Assoc. You are right I should join and will do so today.

Mike

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I spent a couple of hours with Don about a month ago on my way to Corpus. He has about a one year backlog but is alive and well and working full time. Doing everything, profiling blanks, stockmaking, barreling, machining, etc. I can also say his work is as good as ever, one of the very finest gunsmiths in Texas:

Don Dobbratz
Telferner, TX
361-573-3988

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
not all of texas is cursed with the dreaded tree. the area of central texas I grew up actually had very little of the stuff, most of us considered it a good thing. as for BBQ I think hickory has mesquite beat, but I would take either in utah.

I bet some of that horse apple or boad arc as we pronounced it would make a dandy stock I heard they make bats and fence posts from it. the problem I see with making a stock blank from mesquite is the trees grow more or less like a big bush, there is just not much volume to the tree. I call em the texas sage brush

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
as for BBQ I think hickory has mesquite beat, but I would take either in utah.

I will bring some up for you next time I have to stop by the in-laws.

William Berger