one of us
posted
Maybe we should write a book?

Some people look up at the sky.
Some people fly.
Some of us just beat the air into submission,
but it beat hell out of humpin' a ruck!

God bless grunts.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JCN:

I don't know if that was a note to me, but I will respond. When I was an Asst Bde Engineer I had a small staff of two - an E7 and an E4. The E7 (SFC Seegal) was your typical salt of the earth, listen to me and you won't get into trouble guy. The E4 (name was SP4 Amos) was our driver/grunt worker. He was hilarious. On my first FTX I rolled out my sleeping bag and read the label aloud: "Sleeping Bag, Extreme Cold"

"Yes Sir," said Amos, "and that is exactly what you get when you use it - extremely cold."

Another time we were cleaning weapons, still wearing our white pants. Mine were pretty clean, SFC Seegal's were gray, and SP4 Amos's were black with dirt. As we cleaned our weapons Amos said, "Well, you sure can tell who did all the work on this field problem."

"How is that Amos?" Seegal replied chomping on his cigarette.

"Just look at the field pants," he said, as pointed to himself, Seegal, and then me. "All, some, none"

Another time he went out of the tent to take a piss. It was at least 35 below. He came back in and muttered, "It sure is hard taking a piss when you're wearing 8 inches of clothes but you only have a 4 inch dick."

I own my business now and have a great life, but I really think I was happiest in those days in Alaska, esp when I was a CO. I still remember my last words in my change of command speech:

"It is funny how 18 short months can produce a lifetime of memories. Thanks for making those great memories."

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
AKJD JCN

I have a friend who was a Ranger and jumped for the Golden Knights in the 60's.

He told a story about a deluxe facility built in an old gun emplacement in Hawaii.

It was hidden back from the beach and catered by one of the first class hotels.

The facility was for Army personnel, officers only.

He was there on R&R in the mid 60's and was impressed .

You guys ever heard of this place?

Sounded too good to be true, but he swore it was there and his word was always goode.

Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote