Notify
Tools

Enfield action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted
Gentlemen

Picked up this action for very little, it has been semi sporterised, looks like it's done very little work.

Hopefully it will be better than the Remington M17 I nearly brought. I couldn't have used that, it was drilled thru the receiver lug

Can enybody comfirm what enfield action it is, I'm pretty sure it's an eddystone.

I'm told it is sound, no cracks but I will get this checked out for myself.

I'm wanting to open it up to fit the 600 OK into it. Feeding not an issue as it will have a magazine box, so all this will be milled out

Rear peep over the back bridge to cover the patch up

There is no setback, action is clean, if it has no cracks it looks to be useable

Here's a few pictures, would appreciate any feedback and or opinions

regards
Joe aka S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats a P14 not a mod 1917 is there a letter prefix to the s n#

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Ok P14, that would explain why I can't fit a model 17 magazine box to it, it's a fraction shorter than a M17

NO letter prefix on the serial number....it's a very early number: 67428. Maybe the rifles issued here in Australia never had a prefix !

Ok so a P14 isn't as desireable for a bigbore conversion I'm told ?

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a Remington action. The RE = Remington, Eddystone p14 actions are marked ERA, Winchester with a "W" prefix to the serial number. The only reason I have ever been given that 1917 actions are preferred for big bore conversions is that they have larger magazine openings leaving less metal that has to be removed.

Posts: 523 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Now I'm even more confused.

The other action I could have got actually had "Remington model 17 stamped into it. This one only has RE

And It's definately a very slightly smaller action length. It measures thru the center from end to end 3.585 The Remington action was more like about 3.700

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
That action will work ... the mag length doesn't matter once its on a mill

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rgg_7:
RE = Remingtom made P14. The charger bridge has been cut back and profiled. Extractor will be short and have to be replaced although some may not agree with me on this. You should have the brazing milled out of the "duck pond" and filled with a steel plug. The feed rails can be milled to suit your cartridge selection. Mag box will have to be sized according to your selection. It will do the job for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with a Remington 17 rifle, would you please tell me what you saw? I would like to know what it was. The Remington model 30 was the sporting version of the military 1914 / 1917 action. Are you sure it wasn't a Remington 1917 (commonly and incorrectly called the P17)? The pictures you posted are of a Remington P14 action. I think it would make a great big bore action!

The issues you hear about cracking primarily occured with Eddystone receivers and occurs during un-barreling due to the original process in the Eddystone factory of using a fly wheel with a HUGH amount of torque to install the original barrels and then sitting for the better part of a century. If unbarreled correctly just have the receiver magnafluxed by a automotive engine shop to check for cracks. You should be able to wait in shop while the magnafluxing is done and then take the action home with you. No cracks = big bore.

Posts: 523 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
I wish I had a better picture of the action but here it is, the reason I didn't go with it was because of where the hole is drilled......straight thru the recoil lug in the upper ring.

The middle line says :- Model of 1917

After seeing this I'm pretty sure this action is called a Remington M17's (model of 1917) It has a solid rear bridge, there was NO birdbath. And it does infact have a longer action inletting than the RE one shown. about 250 thou longer

This was a real gem this action I wish it wasn't stuffed up like it is. I could have used it,

I think the mix up is this: the original terminology was "Pattern" Model of 1914 or (P14), Then 3 years later there was a slight change and the word "Pattern" was dropped and it just became Model of 1917 or M17

So you know, I'm not entirely sure there is such a thing as a P17 the P stands for "Pattern" and this terminology was as far as I can tell only used for the 1914 and dropped for the model 1917.

Actually I think it would be more correct to call them both M14 and M17 becasue they were both "Model of #"

I think the P as in "Pattern" was only used as a prefix to the "Model of 1914" rifles.

I can't recall, with all my surfing on the net, seeing "Pattern Model of 1917"

SO like the picture indicates on the other action

US
Model of 1917
REMINGTON

regards
S&F

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of peep are you gonna put on it?

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
I actually have a SKINNER peep

Skinner sights in Montana

He usually makes them for Marlins but I asked him to modify one for me to fit the rear bridge, he never charged me any extra.

It will also need about a 200 to 250 thou plate under it to lift it up, We will shape that so that after its gets a teflon color coat you'll never see the join. So the old birdbath will never be seen again.

Front sight are from "Reckagnel" NECG

NO scope

regards
S&F

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The other action I could have got actually had "Remington model 17 stamped into it. This one only has RE

These three rifle plants, using the RE, ERA and W markings, were set up in the USA by we British to produce a Mauser action rifle in 303 British calibre.

This had not gone into full scale production but its design was simpler to make and so these new American factories - see paragraph below - made it and not an American made SMLE.

This was because of a serious shortage of rifles that occurred in 1915. The rifle they were making was a 303 version of an experimental rifle based on a Mauser action designed for a round not unlike the 280 Ross.

So, in fact, it is the Pattern '14 that has actually a "modified" magazine it being redesigned for 303.

That rifle was to have been called the Pattern '13 after the year 1913 if it had ever been adopted into service.

In the 303 chambering it was therefore called the Pattern '14 after the year 1914 as all British equipment was often called by the year of its adoption. Pattern '08 webbing equipment for example. Being webbing adopted in 1908.

But being understated British we stamped our equipment not with the full wording Pattern '14 but just the last two year letters as '14 without the word Pattern in front of it.

America used a similar system but they used the full year date and the word Model not Pattern. Just a language difference I suppose.

So the famous Model of 1911 Pistol and when America entered the war it too had a rifle shortage.

Now as Britain had got past here rifle shortage problems - thanks to Lithgow and Ishapore plus increased production in Britain - these rifle factories were "given over" to America for her use.

But America used 30-06 not 303. So the minor details of the rifles such as the sight graduations were changed together with the barrels being now chambered for 30-06 and original length specification magazine.

And being American? It was marked Model of 1917.

So that is that.

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote