Find
Notify
Tools

Cerrosafe in a stock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted
I have decided to try to repad my H-S Precision myself insted of having a gunsmith do it. I heard that the inside of the butt stock of HS Precision stocks are hollow. I was wondering if it would be possible to melt some Cerrosafe into the stock once I have to pad off to add weight?

I had heard that lead shot also is good for adding weight, but I figure you could more densely pack cerrosafe in there. It melts at 170 so I figure I could easily melt 1-2lbs in there without causing any dammage?

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Karl,
Probably wouldn't stick by itself, and it's not as heavy as lead..

so, if you cast it, it would probably fall right back out, and you could devon 5 minute epoxy it in...

could work, might have to try it...

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just use lead shot and acra glass.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
have you compared the prices of Cero vs lead?

Must be nice to have money to burn.

Lead shot and acraglass for this poor boy.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=462291

I would only be considered rich in a 3rd world country. Heck i'm lower class here in the US, but for $6 a pound, if it does the job better than lead shot i'm all for it.

If anyone has expeirence with Cerrosafe let me know if it's heavier than lead shot, and by how much.

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Butt end of the HS stock isn't exactly hollow. It is made up of a very dense foam core. Go to a SCUBA shop and see if you can buy a 2 lb lead weight. Hollow out the foam and glue it in place with epoxy, or, cut off 2 lbs of cerosafe and glue it in. Now, put the torch down and slowly back away from the stock! Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
The stuff I played with was $23 per pound, (Brownells price). You can see why I about choked when you mentioned using cerro. Smiler

Lead shot is only $1.25/# and mix that with epoxy and it comes out a lot cheaper and it won't get loose and rattle around on you.

For $6/# through Midway I should buy a few pounds. I keep finding uses for it.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I just re-read the add... it's $14/pound still alot cheaper than the last brick I bought.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just put a mercury recoil reducer in? Some of those are about a pound. I think I would make a form out of some sort of pipe. Fill the pipe with epoxy and lead shot. Cut it down to the proper weight then glue the whole nine yards in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to blow money and cut down on recoil have a gunsmith bore the back of the stock and insert the heaviest
mercury recoil tube you can aquire into the stock.

Weight may be your friend, but dynamic weight is even better.

And though it'll cost more... it'll work better.

Hey, I'm thinking of doing it on the H-S stock
under my Rem700VSSF in 223.
No I'm not trying to eliminate recoil for the usual reasons.
I'm trying everything I can to try to keep my sight picture
when I fire....

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some HS stocks have mercury reducers in them already. Their pro-series rifle's have their stocks with the reducer as a standard feature, or did about 2 years ago anyway.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote