New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iron Sights for a 7MM-08
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a project in the works with which I possibly am changing horses in the middle of the stream. The rifle is a Persain Mauser 98 action that I really want to leave the clip guide as is. I like the crest showing the lion holding the torch also. The barrel is the standard (notice the precise technological description Smiler) model from Kreiger. I was going to have the action worked over including the elimination of the clip guide and crest, then have it drilled and tapped for a scope. Well, after reading an article by Mike Venturino the other day where he described matching an unscoped rifle against a scoped one, I may have changed my mind completely. What I'm thinking about is a quarter rib with three leaf sights and a hooded NEGC white bead front sight. Realizing of course that iron sights in low-light conditions leave quite a bit to be desired, I still think this might give the gun a little "character" so to speak. What am I looking for as far as slapping on the quarter rib, sights, blueing and filling in the trigger guard holes where I removed the sling swivel? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

FourTails

Posts: 917 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The question regarding the gunsmithing was SUPPOSED to ask, "How much will the following be expected to cost?" And, anyone interested? Thanks again, Mike

FourTails

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Moderator please delete this.

FourTails

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Fourtails,
I just read this one.. having been a busy little beaver...

for this type of work, assuming you have an exact profile of the barrel, a cnc quarterrib will run you at least 300 for that work. and would be the most expensive part.

I would suggest you get a shilen #2 or so, and get the dakota quarter rib from brownells, and a couple really good files. That rib will fit shilen's profile fairly well. The files are for cutting that 2 foot high thing down.

necg makes a qide varity of sights and options... you might poke around midway and see if there's anything that suits your fancy.

here's a link to the brownells sight heigh calc, that will come in handy are you move down the road

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/sight.aspx

what should it cost?
a good blueing will run 150
sights mounted (no tricks) 100
sights about 150
quarter rib from brownells 75
work to install ... 150

550-700 would probably cover it

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, thanks for the lead. I called Kreiger for the record of our transaction. The barrel that was put on the action was a #2 with muzzle diameter of .600, 24 inch barrel, neck diameter measured 6 inches back of bolt face or end of threads is .800. I talked to Mike, one of Brownell's fine gunsmiths, who couldn't help me with the quarter rib. He suggested to get with whomever I choose to complete the job and discuss what sights I can and cannot fit to it. I wanted the NECG front sight w/ivory & silver flip-up bead. A banded ramp and hood with the button on the side to remove the hood would be preferable. As far as the three leaf sight on the quarter rib, well, I'm at a quandary as how to match up what I've got. Guess that's where the years and years in the trade come in, huh? Confused Any more suggestions and I'm all ears. And eyeballs. Thanks, Mike

FourTails

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Sounds like a darn good barrel and a nice taper.

I would call the guys at NECG, which are great folks, and they could plug in the tapers and tell you which sight setup you need for the flip up sight.

BTW, look at necg and poke around on the rear sights, misc.. pretty cool things, including a "slip" island, like the k98, but with a recoil lug!!

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com

My next 376 may have that sight base and fiber optic sights... just to be different

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote