Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 30 Express ????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted
How many of you guys have ran across these in prestine condition? I've yet to see the express, but I've seen many 30S's.

My father made a trip over to the local gunshow in Redmond, Oregon where he found a an absolute beauty for $500.00. It has the Griffin and Howe sidemount scope base and Lyman receiver sight. The walnut is kinda plain jane, but the checkering is handcut, with inletting that looks too good for a factory rifle. The scope base was definitely put on by somebody who knew what they were doing, which again give me the impression that this isn't a factory job.
The other interesting observation was that the stock design is extremely straight, compared to rifles of that era. The cocking piece has actually rubbed the comb of the stock it's so straight.
Drop at the heal is about 3/4"....again, pretty damn straight.
It also appears to have a Neidner grip cap or something similiar.
If it has been customized by someone, it was done probably in the same timeframe as the rifle was purchased, as in a donor action.

It has definitely gotten my dad and I intrigued on it's origin.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow and see what you guys think.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I saw one a few years ago at a show in Ventura, Ca...really nice and clean but without the extra goodies you mentioned, and a price tag about 4 times what you quoted.

I would consider buying the one you described sight unseen for that price. If you or your dad don’t want it let me know and I’ll send you a check to pick it up for me and I’ll toss in a few extra bucks for your trouble! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a 30s here at a local shop with a hacked stock and somekind of euro huge scope mounts attached at the barrel . $899 price thumbdown

Also 2 enlield sporters with base holes drilled in the wrong place ,total bubba jobs.

What Caliber is yours and like to see some pix!

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
The caliber is 30-06 and dad priced the Lyman on Ebay for $175.00.....needless to say I think we did pretty good. Big Grin

Dad is already fired up to take her hunting, so I'm afraid she won't be for sale.

He brought it in today to the shop, so I'll see if I can snap a few pics.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Hog Killer has the best 30s in 458 lott i've ever seen!!

i bet he can be talked into posting a pic or two

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Here you go jeffe.

Stripper guides are milled off.

Forend sling stud hold covered with Ebony inlay.

Original stock, checkering has been recut.

I am looking for another 30S, for a 375 convertion.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OH MY! Nice HogKiller!

Whats that hole way back on the front ring? It go all the way through?

I should make one of mine shoot them big bullets...416 rigby, 470 ? Big Grin Big Grin , Im still deciding ,keep it 06 or 9.3x62 or cut the bolt face...

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
OH MY! Nice HogKiller!

Whats that hole way back on the front ring? It go all the way through?

I should make one of mine shoot them big bullets...416 rigby, 470 ? Big Grin Big Grin , Im still deciding ,keep it 06 or 9.3x62 or cut the bolt face...

GPS7, sofa

You should box up your Model 30 and send it to me, immediatly. As it is not fit for any project you might want to do. I will even pay the shipping to save you from any grief and disappointment. clap

Hog Killer

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogkiller,

You dont want my m30.

The dog leg handle is straightened, bolt stop/reliese is modified, looks like a mauser, the left rear of the reciever behind the bolt reliese is hacked off, got a side scope mount ,and some other things been bubba'd too !! beer

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
GSP7,

If what you say is true, you are right, I would not want it. I love the dogleg bolt handle, the Lyman 48 sight and everything else that makes it a Model 30.

Hog Killer

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
GSP
Keith might not like it, but i'll even pay for the box and gas to get to the post office.... i feel for your destroyed remington model 30, and I think your best bet is to part with it immediately, and let the healing process been!!

jeffe
(who can tig a dogleg right back on)

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of you Model 30 fans know where I can acquire a Lyman 48R (not 48RS)for my 30A at a reasonable price? It wears the original stock that was cut at the factory for the #48R (has the correct front sight for this).
Jeff Pfeifer

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If ya'll are imbarrased by your dog leg then just get a Mauser. All my African rifles are built on 30-S actions or variants of them. The 30-S is preferable to the standard model 30 due to the bolt guide like a 98. It really smooths up the bolt and reduces the binding that occurs when working the bolt. My 505 Gibbs is on a 1934 action, which is identical to the 30-S. Not many of those around. The dog leg handle starts lacking sense however from 505 and up and is terribly painful on my 577 T Rex.

Marshall Jones

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
BiggestGun: The 30-S is preferable to the standard model 30 due to the bolt guide like a 98. It really smooths up the bolt and reduces the binding that occurs when working the bolt.

Not every 30-S has a bolt guide rib. Only the late models. I believe HogKiller's pictured above does not have a guide rib. Also, the guide ribs are soldered to the bolt body, not integral.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fla3006 The guide ribs are Rivited to the bolt and fit into a slot machined into the bolt. My 2 bolts have no evidense of any solder that i can see. If you look into the stripped bolt you will see the rivets heads.

Jeffy, I was being sarcastic about my m30 being "bubba'd". Its very nicely done. Big Grin Big Grin Its got a very nice old custom stock also. Wish I knew who did the work on it.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yes, I stand corrected. I remember seeing one that was attached crooked, looked kinda flimsy to me.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
quote:
BiggestGun: The 30-S is preferable to the standard model 30 due to the bolt guide like a 98. It really smooths up the bolt and reduces the binding that occurs when working the bolt.

Not every 30-S has a bolt guide rib. Only the late models. I believe HogKiller's pictured above does not have a guide rib. Also, the guide ribs are soldered to the bolt body, not integral.

shame Wrong Forrest, mine has the guide rib, and it is a late production rifle. That's why it feeds so slick. clap

Hog Killer

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of mine is 1927 from what I was told by remington society guy. It has a guide rib. Its had mods too it though. Though the rib looks identicle to my 720 bolt.

DeHaas's book says only the 720 had the rib which is abviously incorrect.

I read that you could send your rifle back to remington and have upgrades done long ago.

Here is a question. See the squigly lines on the top of the reciever on hogkillers rifle.
Does anyone have a m30 with straight lines?

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I guess mine are squigly ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's my M30 Express SL (Sight Lyman) in .35 Rem.

It has three scope mount holes which I believe are from the factory.

Pretty much in wonderful, original condition.

I bought it at auction last year, absentee bid, from this picture, for $275.

That should happen more often.

I need to take some better pics, really is in nice condition. I wanted to build something big out of it but no sense ruining a perfectly good gun.

Rob

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
That sight wont work on the M30. You need the 48 RS. There was one on Ebay last wek but I got outbid by a single buck. It went for $76 and was listed as new. I really wish I could have gotten that one.

I have the 30 Express but mone doesnt have the receiver sight even though it is drilled and tapped for one.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, I sold my last spare G&H mount system for $250. Your dad did OK. I'm in Bend but missed the show.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Triggerguard, if the G&H mount base is machined and polished over to hide the five screws and pins that hold it to the receiver, the installation was almost certainly done by G&H. If the screws and pins show, it wasn't. The blue on the base is also usually a very close match to the receiver, sometimes the receiver and base were blued together.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That sight wont work on the M30. You need the 48 RS. There was one on Ebay last wek but I got outbid by a single buck. It went for $76 and was listed as new. I really wish I could have gotten that one.

Darn William sorry I did that. Big Grin I just accquired a new 30 Express from the Greg Martin auction last week and needed it to hide the ugly cut out in the side of the stockj where one used to be. It's probably going to be a 458 Ackley since I have a reamer and spare time, so it will get put to good use.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thaine:
Darn William sorry I did that. Big Grin I just accquired a new 30 Express from the Greg Martin auction last week and needed it to hide the ugly cut out in the side of the stockj where one used to be. It's probably going to be a 458 Ackley since I have a reamer and spare time, so it will get put to good use.

At least it went to a good home and to a fellow AR member. But if you hear of another one please give me a holler. Please remember to share some pics of your rifle when you get through with the conversion.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cabelas has a M30 listed on their site, .35 Rem but it seems way high at $999.

Rob

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote