New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Lot of discussion about 100% weld penetration on this forum in the past. Here is a M 21 Brno..typical of what I've found..truth is, I've never removed an FN bolt handle that 100% penetration either..Not suggesting it shouldn't be a goal

Would enjoy feed back on the styles of butt plate doors

https://imgur.com/a/xqn6mZB

https://imgur.com/ZtbO2ms

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hinge at the top

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane... I like the center buttplate with the hinge at the top.

Are you making them?

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks..it is more traditional. Not an original idea...photos of such and arrangement in Speed's book.

However, I must admit that it provides more convenient access with hinge on the bottom.

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Duane,

I also prefer the plate with the hinge at the top.

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:
Duane... I like the center buttplate with the hinge at the top.

Are you making them?
Well, yes, but I've most likely sold the CNC machine, so can't speak for the new owner (yet)

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Hinge at bottom (access slot at top) for easiest opening & door staying open via gravity with gun upright.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually..it's spring loaded closed and open

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did FN weld on the all typical sweep back handle type that was on the commercials or was just the odd ball stuff like spoons welded on?

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I'd still prefer the door laying down with the rifle upright. 'Door up' would block the line of sight unless you flip the rifle over.
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
I'd still prefer the door laying down with the rifle upright. 'Door up' would block the line of sight unless you flip the rifle over.
quote:

Would you shoot it with the door open, up or down?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hinge at the bottom. Much more natural to access storage area with rifle in upright position.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
hinge at the top
with- a larger checkering coverage to encompass the entire door and hinge

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clan_Colla:
hinge at the top
with- a larger checkering coverage to encompass the entire door and hinge

Second that. The door projecting outside the checkering looks "untidy" to my OCD eye (just my opinion.) The workmanship is first class, though. I also vote with Clan against lower hinge placement: If the spring goes in the field, gravity will not be your friend. I'd look like a right wally with duct tape holding my butt plate together.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hinge on top.

Looks like the spoon bolt handle was welded to a standard bolt. Not enough bevel to reach the root. Looks like weld floated over tie in, forward facing void.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hinge on top is correct.
Hinge on bottom :
Raising the comb to the shoulder in a hurry, part of your clothes may be hooked up by the opening latch and opens the door (to heaven).
Murphy´s law.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have mentioned..The spring I use is a commercial plunger, coil spring enclosed unit. Chance of this breaking is pretty remote...but..you guys are thinking..thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
Hinge on top.

Looks like the spoon bolt handle was welded to a standard bolt. Not enough bevel to reach the root. Looks like weld floated over tie in, forward facing void.

Dave
Actually factory M-21 Brno..held up for about 70 yrs.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I have to agree that I'd prefer the hinge at top. Even if the spring is unlikely to break, it will be on some people's minds. I like the partial checkering myself, looks good as is, not sure I want any additional sharp edges at the latch.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Line of sight to the compartment.

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
quote:

Would you shoot it with the door open, up or down?

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Duane,

After several more peeks, the hinge at top seems more aesthetically pleasing. Functionality differences between the two options are not all that drastic.
Damn classy unit right down to the heavy duty plunger/spring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like them both! And just to make sure that I got every customer who is interested to buy one I would offer them both if I was making them.

After all, they are going on "custom" rifles where the owner is supposed to have some choices about what he/she is getting.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Hing at the top looks better but hinge at the bottom is more ergonomic in field conditions

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hinge at top please

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
My opinion for what it's worth is that the hinge at the top "looks" better from an artistic standpoint, the hinge at the bottom is more user friendly and practical.
If I were having you build me one I would have bottom hinge, if building a rifle for someone who views it more as "art" than a hunting piece to be used then hinge at the top.
Purely my tastes.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opinions are what I want..thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I like the hinge on top, but prefer just a checkered steel butt plate that most of my guns have....I had a Holland 375 with a five pack of rounds in the butt and all my rounds turned green, never had a need for it..but hey lots of stuff on todays custom rifles that are non functional. I like some of them and others I do not..Id say pick and chose what you want some put both into production and feel the waters.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WEll..Here's what I carry in the butt of my 270 (2nd barrel, 3rd scope)

Water proof matches, cotton balls soaked in vaseline
(can be great fire starters, chapped lips, lubricant, etc) Custom made peep sight (saved the day on a horseback hunting trip) A few gun patches, couple band aids and one of those cable type cleaning rods and a tube of "wound seal"

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Duane
That butt plate would be great on one of my ultra light synthetic rifles with a hollow stock.....

horse

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
WEll..Here's what I carry in the butt of my 270 (2nd barrel, 3rd scope)

Water proof matches, cotton balls soaked in vaseline
(can be great fire starters, chapped lips, lubricant, etc) Custom made peep sight (saved the day on a horseback hunting trip) A few gun patches, couple band aids and one of those cable type cleaning rods and a tube of "wound seal"

Duane, back in the '50's, when Elmer Keith did a review of the then new Winchester 88 in The American Rifleman, he removed the buttplate and noted that the nice recess under it would be a great place to store salt and pepper in case you had to lay up somewhere and eat straight meat. (June, 1955 P. 90)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'm out of room or salt and pepper..good idea though!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfect Keith comment -probably need a small container of tabasco as well Smiler Maybe packets of soy sauce, ketchup, mustard and sweet and sour for variety. Nothing quite as bad as monotonous seasonings when stranded in the wilderness.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Lot of discussion about 100% weld penetration on this forum in the past. Here is a M 21 Brno..typical of what I've found..truth is, I've never removed an FN bolt handle that 100% penetration either..Not suggesting it shouldn't be a goal

https://i.imgur.com/cCmEno1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZtbO2ms.jpg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pardon for the "double post" We are fooling around with posting photos

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]truth is, I've never removed an FN bolt handle that 100% penetration either..

Did FN weld on all their commercial bolt handles?

As in, did they just keep making military bolts with straight handles, cut them off and put on the swept back, flat on the bottom version?

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
quote:
My opinion for what it's worth is that the hinge at the top "looks" better from an artistic standpoint, the hinge at the bottom is more user friendly and practical.

I echo this comment.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3835 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug W:
quote:
[QUOTE]truth is, I've never removed an FN bolt handle that 100% penetration either..

Did FN weld on all their commercial bolt handles?

As in, did they just keep making military bolts with straight handles, cut them off and put on the swept back, flat on the bottom version?

Duane,
I would like to know this also. I always assumed that FN handles were forged with the bolt...

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All bolt handles I'e cut off om an FN were welded. I do not believe FN used military bolts

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the top opening as I feel it is more natural to operate.

I do like the look of the top portion of the bottom hinge trap butt in the photo. If I was ordering one a thinner top (to grab and open) to the trap would the ticket for me. I know your supposed to be able to open with your thumb but I have bever had much luck doing that and I even have fingernails! Perhaps just straight at top and no curve?

Posts: 3059 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote