New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win. M 70 crown fixing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A few days back, I purchased a model 70 Winchester rifle in 30-06. It is a Pre-64 model with a serial number 91XXX. Stock is classic style without any cheek piece. The butt plate is checkered metal. I have to pay about $125 for it. Overall it is in very fine shape. But there are two problems.

One, its crown is damaged. The gun was kept in case for long period and deeply rusted around muzzle. The previous owner got it reblued. To remove rust, the gunsmith freely used sand paper and wire brush (probably) and the result is that crown area is flattened and the outer dia of muzzle is not perfect round. How much it will affect accuracy and how to fix it? I have not shot it yet.

Second, adjusting piece is missing of rear sight. It is the older type sight with a small metal piece with uneven teeth on it. This piece could be moved forward or rear ward to adjust the height of rear sight. It is missing and I have no idea of its size and height. Any suggestions?

Further, what should be its standard weight? There is a third screw in forearm, what is its function. Thanks

Saad

Posts: 271 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure wish I had that old piece of rifle here, I would fix it in about 10 minutes.

Have the muzzle recrowned, and don't worry about the exterior. Put a little cold blue on it to mask the bright spots.

If the muzzle is recrowned, it should shoot just fine.

Put a scope on it, and forget the rear sight.

Shorten the barrel an inch or so if you need to get past the damage before recrowning.

The game you shoot will not know the difference.

------------------
May I be half the man my dog thinks I am.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reply.

How about the fore end screw. What should be the sequence of tightening the screws and how much to tighten each screw? There are total of 4 screws joining action+barrel & stock, whereas I am fimiliar with Mauser action, which has only two screws.

Saad

Posts: 271 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The main front action screw should be "tight", and the rear screw almost as tight.

The middle screw just holds the trigger guard in place and should only be snug. NOT tight at all.

The screw under the barrel pulls the barrel into the stock.

Just pull it "tight" and let it go at that.

Tighten that one last.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote