New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless Barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 3461 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
30 cal blank for sale? or?

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, not for sale; this is a huge mistake that DW is pointing out. Someone there didn't do their job.
I would call them; they would replace it, but it's the labor thing.....the blank is the cheap part.

Posts: 17123 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm satisfied that I got what I ordered. Abby got the post in t he wrong place..my mistake

Posts: 3461 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know the details/situation, but a local smith recently told me he's had it with Douglas. And he has used their barrels for years.

???

Posts: 707 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcraig:
Don't know the details/situation, but a local smith recently told me he's had it with Douglas. And he has used their barrels for years.

???

Yeah, I'm hearing that more often.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about any current issues with Douglas, but Stan Taylor passed away about ten days ago. That’s gonna put a kink in things.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use Douglas barrels exclusively without issue (since 1970) and they have several of my custom contours in their CNC programs. I refuse to use any new names; they offer nothing.
I would like details of what other's issues are with them.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's terrible to hear about Stan, and he wasn't all that old (by AR member standards). He knew the operation better than anyone there and he will definitely be missed. I say he knew more about barrels than anyone on the planet.
Of course, he didn't actually make barrels; he just made sure you got what you needed.

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
There’s a couple different threads over on accurateshooter, with dozens of well wishes for Stan. He was truly one of the good guys.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I use Douglas barrels exclusively without issue (since 1970) and they have several of my custom contours in their CNC programs. I refuse to use any new names; they offer nothing.
I would like details of what other's issues are with them.

Issues with Douglas. As a native Mountaineer it pains me to write this. About a month ago, I ordered two #4 contour barrels to octagon mill. These barrels were a little smaller in diameter than needed, so I ordered #5 contour barrels. As I milled the barrels it became apparent the #5 barrels were actually smaller in diameter near the breech than the #4 barrels. They should have been 0.025" bigger. I called Douglas to complain and was told by "Tim" that they were simply unable to hold tolerances when turning a barrel blank. That was a big disappointment. Anyone who is content with making a #5 barrel smaller than a #4 & to blame the discrepancy on "tolerances" should not be in the business of selling barrels.

In my experience, other makers like Krieger turn their barrels close enough to spec's to set your micrometer with them. I bought the Douglas barrels because the delivery time was an astounding 3 days, whereas it is about a year from Krieger. My efforts to get a barrel in a hurry backfired. The Douglas barrels were too small, despite published dimensions, and I'll end up eating $600 in barrels.

Lesson learned. This gunsmith cannot afford to eat barrels.

With regrets,

Roger

Posts: 475 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Tim is the owner. That is unacceptable. I have never had that happen and I get barrels from them all the time; just today got two #2 338s.
I don't know why he said that; they have a CNC lathe that does whatever they program into it; I have seen it run many times.
As for quality; Krieger will definitely be more likely to be crooked and not properly heat treated; from experience with them.
I will have a word with him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WEll...Kreiger barrels are held in pretty high regard. Must be doing something right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
WEll...Kreiger barrels are held in pretty high regard. Must be doing something right.

Krieger have a stellar reputation and are top quality from my experience. In saying that a bad one can always slip under the radar.
BB

Posts: 398 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Krieger will definitely be more likely to be crooked and not properly heat treated; from experience with them.

How did you conclude this?

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Personally had two bad K barrels; conclusions based on facts as I get them; one was not straight at all, hopped around like a crankshaft (it did shoot ok; nothing special) and the other was not properly stress relieved; easy to tell, when they shoot one bullet into one place, and the rest somewhere else; let it cool, and they go back to the first shot place. Not worth the expense and wait. Douglas has never done this and I have used many of them.
Also have had bad barrels of that other popular make; (they took them back and cooked them again, and they performed normally then) I do not publish bad things about barrels unless asked. I only comment on what I personally do and see; of course there are plenty of good examples out there.
I also refuse to fit any of the other makers.
Everyone likes new stuff and new names.....I go with old original proven makers. And far more responsive to my custom contours and orders; most makers either won't or can't do it. CNC lathes can do anything.