New
Find
Notify
Tools

KRIEGER barrel identification
 Login/Join

Picture of burnttoast
posted
What insigna does Krieger use for their barrels so as to identify in a used firearm situation? Pics would be VERY helpful, thank you

"All good things in all good time"

Posts: 13 | Location: SW Colorado | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
No insignia. It's stamped on the back of the shank when new but will be turned off if the barrel is installed. You'll just have to take the sellers word for it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of burnttoast
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13 | Location: SW Colorado | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kreiger cut rifle barrels are 4 groove. I believe their button rifled line{Criterion} is 6 groove. With a good bore scope you can tell a cut rifle from a button barrel, even lapped ones. Other people do 4 groove cut rifled barrels though.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of burnttoast
posted Hide Post
ok this is what i've got and are the only markings

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, Krieger offers 4 or 6 groove barrels in their single point tubes. They say there is no difference in longevity or accuracy.

There is no way to identify the maker of the barrel. Why do you ask-are you thinking someone is lying to you?

Also, don't get hung up on Krieger barrels. Several other shops make equally good barrels. When choosing between makers, throwing a dart is a good way to pick the maker for a custom rifle. Don't get me wrong-I love Kriegers and have a few myself. Will buy more in the future, along with tubes by other makers.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That picture being as limited as it is, the first thing that came to mind was that it was a stock Remington fluted barre. How about a picture of the shank. Even then it would be difficult to identify it as a Krieger.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why wouldn't a good smith stamp a mark on the underside of a barrel to indicate what make of barrel that he/she installed?

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Why wouldn't a good smith stamp a mark on the underside of a barrel to indicate what make of barrel that he/she installed?

I guess they could but I've NEVER seen one do it.

That doesn't look like a Remington factory fluted barrel to me. They use a 2 stage (can't think of a better word) fluting.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a smith do it either.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I had a Lothar Walther barrel installed on a Ruger action. When I went to pick up the rifle, the gunsmith showed me the invoice of the LW importer, dated 2 weeks before, mentioning the right caliber and contour. I appreciated.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:

I guess they could but I've NEVER seen one do it.

That doesn't look like a Remington factory fluted barrel to me. They use a 2 stage (can't think of a better word) fluting.

Terry

Terry. I know what you are saying but I can't see all of the barrel either. I am not saying it is a Krieger or a Remington.

By the way, when I do a custom rifle, lately I have been engraving the barrel maker, twist and contour on the underside of it.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnttoast:
What insigna does Krieger use for their barrels so as to identify in a used firearm situation? Pics would be VERY helpful, thank you

Who cares. Whenever buying a used rifle, buy it with the assumption that the barrel is shot out and will need replaced and pay accordingly. Yes, I know, every used rifle was only shot on sunday by a little old lady.

I serial number every barrel I install and from that serial number I can tell you when it was chambered, what make of blank it was, the twist, and just about anything else you need to know about it.

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When a customer asks for a certain quality and maker, I cut a piece off the shank end the thickness of a half doller and give it to the customer with the rifle. I don't do it on regular Shilen or Wilson barrels, just on the high dollar barrels.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Only barrels I've seen stamped as to who made them and who installed them are a couple I took off that were installed by Alhmans. All three were stamped as Douglas along with the twist rate.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dan,
When did you escape to AZ?
Butch

Picture of burnttoast
posted Hide Post
How about these, appreciate the input

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, that's settled, it ain't a remington and ain't no way to tell what make it is, for sure anyway.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Those photo's really help clear things up. Yep, it's a barrel.

About the only thing you are going to be able to determine about that barrel besides the caliber and twist is if it's button or cut rifled. That's about it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm only an amateur but have installed a couple of hundred barrels of various types since the '60s. On the underside I always mark the chambering, date and my name, the barrel maker if known, and any non-standard features such as special groove size or special twist. For instance my personal 280 Mauser is marked Krieger, 0.285" bore, 1:9" twist, date & my name. One of my K-Hornets is marked Shilen, 0.224", 1:10" twist, date and my name while another K-Hornet is marked Shilen, 0.222", 1:16" twist, date and my name. Have seen only 2 other smiths who do this.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Hart barrel with "E2 6 PPC F.Pindell"
stamped on it.

Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
I'm only an amateur but have installed a couple of hundred barrels of various types since the '60s. On the underside I always mark the chambering, date and my name, the barrel maker if known, and any non-standard features such as special groove size or special twist. For instance my personal 280 Mauser is marked Krieger, 0.285" bore, 1:9" twist, date & my name. One of my K-Hornets is marked Shilen, 0.224", 1:10" twist, date and my name while another K-Hornet is marked Shilen, 0.222", 1:16" twist, date and my name. Have seen only 2 other smiths who do this.
Regards, Joe

My customers would kill me if I put all that on their barrel.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my custom builds, the invoice tells me all I need to know for each gun.
I'm with z1r on this, no way I would want all that info on the barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Mike, firstly I put it on the underside so it's not visible except when the stock's removed, and secondly they don't normally have a choice because

I don't wanta
I don't hafta
You can't make me
I'm retired (VBG)

Please don't take this as flames, it's just my feeble attempt at humor. I do often mark the caliber on the visible portion of the breech but not if the rifle will be engraved.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Well, that's settled, it ain't a remington and ain't no way to tell what make it is, for sure anyway.

A good Smith could look at the lands and tell right away if it was a cut barrel. coffee

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously the person buying the work is going to know what barrel it is. The markings would not be for that person's benefit, but rather for subsequent buyers and receivers other than by purchase in due course, especially those who do not get a chance to find out the information from the original owner of the barrel.

Seems to be a selling point (e.g. it is worth more because it can be proven as to what it is).

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:

A good Smith could look at the lands and tell right away if it was a cut barrel. coffee

Actually it's a lot easier if you look at the grooves. Big Grin And yes, it's pretty easy to eyeball and tell.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote