Find
Notify
Tools

Business Practices
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen:

After reading the "Midway . . . Sucks" thread, I thought that I would add the following link to a guy, who really knows what he is talking about, Pete Brownell:

http://archives.subscribermail...be46f054bfd5fbe7.htm

I have never, I repeat never been dissatisfied with Brownells in the 17 years that I have been a customer.

The only other retail company that is in the same league in my experience is L. L. Bean.

Brooks Brothers on the other hand has fallen from grace, and has done all the wrong and destructive things that Pete Brownell enumerated in his article. My dad's side of the family had been Brooks Brothers customers since WW-I without a hitch, but we gave up 15 years ago.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be advised that Brownells has problems as well as anyone else.

I personally know someone who dealt with Pete Brownell for 14 months, just trying to get Pete to update an existing publication contract, for a update on a book Brownells has published and is currently selling. Pete was even late to the face to face meeting in Sept of 2008 at Brownells headquarters. Pete finally turned it over to his Dad, Frank Brownell and that was 5 months ago. Still no where, other that doing the publishing work himself and forgetting about Brownells, the guy is aparrently stuck.

James Wisner

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
summit racing has great customer service in my experience, as does Dell. Apple also. and of course Zappos. that is all in my experience. I hope others have gotten the same.

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not happy with Dell.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The reality is that in business no one can make everyone happy all the time; you can try but it just can't be done no matter how hard you try.

Overall, Brownells is the single best company I deal with, but of course they're not perfect. I've done a lot of business with Midway, but they're not perfect either. IMO one needs to weigh out the results of each transaction and make a judgement as to whether or not they want to continue doing business with a company---just like deciding which people you're going to have relationships with.

For example, I don't like everything my wife does, agree with everything she thinks or every decision she makes, but after 32 years together I'm not going to leave her just because she's not in my mind perfect. What's that training I remember from my youth, "forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us" or something like that.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Agree --- and there are always 2 sides to the story. I know Frank Brownell and he is a class act as well as a stand up guy. Smiler

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I'm not happy with Dell.
Butch

I'll second that!! I'm tired of dealing with Rajish.

Posts: 187 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
as for dell .. you can pay an additional ~50 bucks on the computer and have US based support

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38602 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my dealings with dell are business class and we get gold support or something like that. If it is something I can fix myself they get me the part next day, if its something I want them to fix they are always very accommodating as well.

it is true though, everybody's experiences are different. I think overall though, these companies do well.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
as for dell .. you can pay an additional ~50 bucks on the computer and have US based support

Wow!! Didn't know that. That's money well spent in my book.

Posts: 187 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why should you have to pay extra?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why should you have to pay extra?
Butch

So you don't have to talk to Rajish Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can see charging my customers an extra $50. That's bullshit!
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dealing with Brownells has been good as well as Miday.Computers I get HP and have been since 1995.Never been disappointed and out of 8-9 only had one minor problen

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can see charging my customers an extra $50. That's bullshit!
Butch

Perhaps ... though is 50 bucks better than dealing with off shored tech support?

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
I surely don't think we should have to pay extra to speak with someone in english! They sell the shit here, Maybe thats why i don't own a dell.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a used car from a small time outfit in Vancouver. We flew down to pick it up. The owner picked us up at the airport (a half hour's drive from his dealership), bought us breakfast, and treated us better than any dealer from which I've bought anything. All this for a $4000 toy. I thought all of this was quite atypical for a used car dealer.
When it comes to firearms related stuff, Pacific Tool has been great. In fact, all reamer makers have always given me just what I asked for and, if there was a problem, they took my word for it and the problem was fixed.
Nobody has treated me badly enough to make me hold a grudge. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3571 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Midway is marginal at best. Brownells is very good but at a cost. If you really want quality and speed you can not beat McMaster Carr.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Earl, I'll buy that. McMaster Carr has been great for me over the years.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll jump on that bandwagon as well. McMaster has been great for us and we order a couple times a week from them. They are hands down the best company I have dealt with.

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As the saying goes, you aint made it in business until someone is talking bad about you. I do the vast majority of my business with brownells, but some with midway. I know that most of my customers are happy, but i've had situations where i screwed up and was not able to make the guy happy. Just happens. I do my best and thats all i can do. I try to offer excellence in business and expect my vendors to try to do that also, some do, some try, some dont give a darn.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is McMasters/Carr? what do they supply, and do you get in touch with them??

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rodger wright:
Who is McMasters/Carr? what do they supply, and do you get in touch with them??

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dell is an anti gun company. Not dealing with them in a no brainer!

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SWD:

SWD, where or how did you learn that? I've bought a lot of Dell stuff for various companies I have run for folks, cause my go to I.T. guy swears by them, if they are in fact anti-gun, they won't get anymore $ from me. Heck, I am days away from pulling the trigger on a new laptop for a company I am trying to start (since I can't find a job Roll Eyes) but if I'm convinced Dell is anti-gun, I'm done with them for sure!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I don't have info in front of me, but I have heard the anti gun sentiment from several sources.
Butch

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SWD:

bsflag
Really? You "heard" that? Like the guys that ALSO say harbourfrieght is anti gun, PROVE IT

There's no one shred of truth to that statement ..

That's like saying bill gates is anti gun ... and you shouldn't run windows ....

utter CRAP steve

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
and for all the walmart slammers.. WALMART is the largest retailer of guns in the world ..

and PROVE that dell is "more" anti gun that HP or Lenovo ... can't be done, the statement is just rubbish

pick your battles

#dumptrump

476AR,