Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M48 for a 308?
 Login/Join

posted
I presently planning a build on a Yugo M48 action, but am undecided on caliber. I wonder if it is adequate for .308 Win, and weather any modification to the action will be necessary for reliable feeding. I'll bet somebody on this site has tackled these problems. Thanks!

Posts: 6 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
The M48 will work just fine.

Spend some quality time polishing the action; M48's tend to be a bit rough when compared to other model 98 actions.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Tex, Should be plenty strong, and the best length for a .308 (intermediate). I own 3 of them that are still full dress military, and I just don't see the shoddy workmanship that some people have. Maybe mine were made on a Wednesday,instead of Friday or Monday.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Yugo's are hit and miss. A little time with the lathe, polishing stone, milling machine, carb bath, heat treating oven, bluing vat, and bang boom, you got a beautiful rifle able to handle 55-60 kpsi.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smiler"heat treating oven" If it's been shot with Turk ammo or any overloaded stuff. edit: and the lugs have been set back. Then it WILL need the lugs lapped and heat treated.

If not I wouldn't worry about that. If it's an unissued rifle the heat treat should be fine, but heat treat doesn't cost that much anyway. If it's a beater then yeah, you got some work in front of you.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One last thing, The 24/47 Yugo is nearly the same rifle and is (according to most people) a better starting point.

One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
They are, were made in a really good caliber too Big Grin

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been told by a competent Smith they both will work just fine . I never asked him a price !.

Not that I doubt anyone posting here or I have done one . I'm not a gun smith , so I rely on others for the Heart of the mechanical process . I just attempt to dress them pretty !.

Prices are extremely reasonable when one takes into account the cost of just an action now days . Dam now only if they made Lefty models !.

For the sake of asking . What would a reasonable price be for a Good Smith to take one and build the action & barrel ; say with a Lilja ?. Does anyone know what practical calibers could be made , with out going to a crap load of trouble ?.

Shoot Straight Know Your target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only problem that I had with a mauser was that the round had to be in the magazine when the bolt was pushed forward. I think it is the "controled round feed". Anyway a few minutes with a dremel tool and I could then load single shot without having to push the round down into the mag.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
any of the 308 cases would work great

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Now I have to decide weather to buy or machine my own mount for the "pseudo-scout" project.

Posts: 6 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The XS Clifton/Ashley scout mount will make quick work of the job, but since to do that a fella has to turn a cylindrical section on a commercial barrel he might choose a diameter that matches an off-the-sheld Contender or Encore mount, maybe a one piece Leupold QD?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raybass:
They are, were made in a really good caliber too Big Grin

Yeah, I think so too. Very underrated for a reloader.

Jeffe, Didn't you put a .376 Styre in an action of this length?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have got 2625 fps 220 gr out of surplus 8x57 Mausers, which tops what I can get from a .308.

And M48s have typically excellent bores.

If I were to hunt with that rifle, I would at least bend or weld the bolt handle, drill and tap for a scope, and glass bed the barreled action to the stock.

I have converted Mausers to .308, but I prefer them in 8x57mm.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote