Picture of jeffeosso
posted
quote:
Originally posted by tom ga hunter:
Press Room News and Press Releases Press Releases Details

Press Releases

Winchester and Browning Enter Firearms License Agreement

8/15/2006
East Alton, IL, August 15, 2006 --Winchester announced today that it has entered into a long-term license agreement with Browning for the manufacture and distribution of Winchester brand rifles and shotguns.

“With this new agreement, Winchester is confident that Browning will produce innovative firearms worthy of the Winchester name, continuing a tradition that people around the world associate with the Winchester brand,†stated Richard Hammett, President Winchester Ammunition. “We are proud of our heritage as The Gun That Won the West and consider this arrangement as entering a new era for the legendary Winchester firearms brand.â€

Charles Guevremont, President of Browning is equally optimistic and excited about the opportunity to continue the production and distribution of Winchester firearms. “We are more committed today than ever before to the development of exciting new Winchester firearms designs,†said Guevremont. “We will continually strive to build the quality products that generations of loyal Winchester customers have come to expect and will be proud to own and use for decades to come.â€

Winchester is a division of Olin Corporation. Olin Corporation is a manufacturer concentrated in three business segments: Metals, Chlor Alkali Products and Winchester. Winchester products include sporting ammunition, reloading components, small caliber military ammunition and industrial cartridges.

For more information on Winchester products, including press releases and images, visit www.winchester.com, and then click on Press Room.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That will be interesting to watch.

Imagine a Model 70 made in Japan.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or a model 94 made in Japan

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Will there be a mum on the receiver ring? Roll Eyes

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For years they've been making 1885's, 1895's and a few other Winchester models in Japan and doing it well.

Just hope they don't do glossy stocks.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could not find anything there that says there will be new model 70s. Also wihle likly any that are made will be made in japan its not necisarily so.
Browning has a plant in utah that makes the buckmark pistol, I am trying to be optimistic, but I really don't like the A-bolts at all.
While I admit they shoot well enough.
A model 70 action with a real steel trigger guard and floor plate assembly would be good,
...tj3006

freedom1st

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Here's an interesting thought...

sending jobs "over seas" is generally a cost cuting measure.

The japanese per captia income, i believe, is higher than the US...

should Browning put the production "out to bid" or RFQ (req for quote) to the Conn. Plant and to Japan, it would be a wake up all for the Union if it was cheaper to make model 70s in japan vs the US AND shipping

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have anything against Japan. We have 5 Brownings now all made in Japan - superb quality and reliability.

I own my last North American made vehicle and outboard now. GM, Jeep, and Evinrude have broken me of that. The quality and reliability just does not compare to the Japanese models, for what ever reason.

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Remember when Weatherby moved their mfg'ng for the Mark V to Japan. Most people complained until they shot the rifles. I have no qualms where a product is made as long as it is a quality product.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning was bought out by the same outfit that bought Winchester from Olin. I don't know what happened to that particular division but this does not mean that an American compamy will be building it as Browning no longer is. At one time Miroku (japan) was a major stockholder in Browning.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
My understanding was that Giat owned FN and Browning, aand Winchester rifles through FN. Seems like a pretty funny deal to me.

I've heard, but not seen confirmed, that because of requirements with unions/state government/etc. they would not be able to produce model 70's anywhere but the Conn. plant for two years.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So what is new?

FN (or more accurately, the holding company that owns FN) currently owns both Browning and Winchester, or at least the Winchester plant, and is the culprit that announced the closing of the New Haven plant. Olin owns the rights to the trade name "Winchester". It appears from the press release that nothing is happening. FN will continue to lease the rights to the name "Winchester" and will produce "Winchesters", but not in New Haven.

Nothing has changed.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by browningguy:
My understanding was that Giat owned FN and Browning...

According to Wikipedia, GIAT is, "a French Government-owned corporation weapon manufacturer"

A Winchester Model 70 made by the French government? Egad! Eeker

Here's a link to a very informative piece about the 1991 acquisition of Herstal by GIAT, and its relationship to Herstal and Browning. Snippet: "Giat with the purchase of FN Herstal now owns Browning, U.S.A. and the Winchester licensee, U.S. Repeating Arms Co.â€

For the conspiracy buffs: Do you suppose that closing USRA in New Haven was a "shot" called, not in Belgium, but in France?

Good luck, and good shooting.

Jim

Posts: 94 | Location: Upper Left Coast, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Meplat,
You are misinformed about Giat owning Browning, USRAC, etc... Giat put Browning, USRAC, FN, FNMI, Herstal, and several other small arms companied up for sale in the late 90's. That is when the whole show was purchased by the Belgian government. Part of that purchase was a re-structure where they moved USRAC's corporate offices to Morgan, UT and co-located with Browning.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
quote:
japanese per captia income, i believe, is higher than the US

Sorry, it's lower. About 15% if measured at the face values of the currencies, and about 26% if measured with currencies corrected for local purchasing power.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asdf:
quote:
japanese per captia income, i believe, is higher than the US

Sorry, it's lower. About 15% if measured at the face values of the currencies, and about 26% if measured with currencies corrected for local purchasing power.

well I'll be darned
and wikipedia confirms
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29_per_capita

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
“We are more committed today than ever before to the development of exciting new Winchester firearms designs,â€

That's just what we're looking for, more "improvements" on Mr. Browning's work. Look how nicely they were able to fix what was wrong with the Highwall!! Smiler

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
So-called improvements will be nothing more than manufacturing shortcuts!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that Browning does not and has never owned any manufacturing facilities of their own.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2340 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
So-called improvements will be nothing more than manufacturing shortcuts!

Wasn't it manufacturing shortcuts of the making of cubes the reason for the discovery of ball bearings? (Smiler (just kidding)

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago I bought a Model 70 for use as a pratice rifle. Since finding out about the "French Connection", I refer to it as the "LeModel 70".

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep. Just like on the M1885's, M65's, M71's, 1886's, and M95's Browning sold here recently.....

There's really no flies on the BLR's, BAR's, and Jap O/U shotguns, either!

We tsught the Japs quality control - now they're practicing it, and we aren't, anymore!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
quote:

Yep. Just like on the M1885's, M65's, M71's, 1886's, and M95's Browning sold here recently.....

There's really no flies on the BLR's, BAR's, and Jap O/U shotguns, either!

We tsught the Japs quality control - now they're practicing it, and we aren't, anymore!
The BAR isn't made in Japan.

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mums the word!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trigger:
I don't have anything against Japan. We have 5 Brownings now all made in Japan - superb quality and reliability.

I own my last North American made vehicle and outboard now. GM, Jeep, and Evinrude have broken me of that. The quality and reliability just does not compare to the Japanese models, for what ever reason.

Jap quality rotflmo Toyota is the most recalled auto's in America!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's just what we're looking for, more "improvements" on Mr. Browning's work. Look how nicely they were able to fix what was wrong with the Highwall!! Smiler

I hope I correctly read in a healthy dose of sarcasm here.

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cannot and will not buy a Winchester with made in Japan stamped on it.

Liberty is worth whatever the country is worth. It is by liberty that man has a country; it is by liberty he has rights." -- Henry Giles
Rifleman.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope I correctly read in a healthy dose of sarcasm here.

I know for a fact I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box, but after laying eyes on a firearms system I can generally figure out the whys and where-fors. BUT... I spent most of a day trying to get the fire control back into one of the Browning single shots. Quite the amazing contraption they got there! Like a eight-day clock. I know there is a quicker, better way. I just don't know what it is yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a "Winchester" made in China? Big Grin Doesn't seem too far fetched to me.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red Neck64:
I cannot and will not buy a Winchester with made in Japan stamped on it.

You know, I was thinking about this...

is "made by the french, via belgium" actually any better?

Sort of like japanese cars... I wouldn't buy one made in america, japan, mexico... heck, even if it was made in detroit by my ford/chrysler/gm working UAW cousins of mine.

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MajorCaliber:

Jap quality rotflmo Toyota is the most recalled auto's in America!

and though I dislike japanese cars, Toyota is now mostly made in america, by US autoworkers, and toyota recalls for a far lower $$ threshold than the US makers do....
for example, ford hasn't recalled EVERY f150 since 1980 for bad front spindles.. but if you see a truck with it's front end on the ground, and a tire missing, it's a ford, 98/100 times.
jeffe

476AR,

one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
The "Made in Japen" stamp sure didn't keep folks from buying Weatherby Howa's and Winchester 101s and Winchester 23s and Winchester 92s and Browning Citoris and SKB shotguns....well you get my drift.

As a matter of fact the "Made in Japan" stamp has become a symbol of quality.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim_Dubell:
I know for a fact I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box, but after laying eyes on a firearms system I can generally figure out the whys and where-fors. BUT... I spent most of a day trying to get the fire control back into one of the Browning single shots. Quite the amazing contraption they got there! Like a eight-day clock. I know there is a quicker, better way. I just don't know what it is yet.

Yes you do! It's a REAL Winchester 1885. Works evertime, and anyone can take it apart and put it back together.

BTW, there is a guy in CA that makes a kit/jig/instructions for reassembling these. I don't know the details but post a note at www.bpcr.net and someone will point you the right direction.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote