New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's built a .376 Steyr?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Made up my mind, the Montana 1999 #SA I have sitting around will be a .376 Steyr.

It's a CrMoly action, .473 boltface and standard magazine.

Suggestions for barrel maker, length, weight and twist?

Will start out with factory ammo, maybe handload later on.

I have a CZ stock that will accomodate the action, do I need a crossbolt?

Is there a bolt peep made for the M70 that will work on the 1999? As much as I'd love express sights the eyes won't accomodate leaf sights.

Suggestions

Recoil Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Lothar Walter for the barrel in one of the original Mauser contours.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

I built mine on a mauser, #3 Shilen, Dakota Qtr Rib, NECG front sight. Its pretty much done all but blueing.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
most aftermarker steyrs are a little too heavy... just a touch, but, then again, if you are going to be shooting a scoped rifle, fromt a rest, this isn't a bad idea at all!!

At Mike's suggestions, I have found that 23" is the "perfect" length for a 376.. just because it works so well.

I just received a LW 375 barrel in the "bravarian classic".. and it will either be a 376 or a 375 ruger,... it ls a VERY light taper... its 24" and if billy doesnt' talk me out of it, will become a super nice light 375.

I would crossbolt and ebony cap them.. at LEAST a rear one (sounds funny, right?) ... I don't like the web between the mag and trigger well to crack.. you can do a hidden one here.

peep... if you put weaver bases on, you can use the NECG peep.. if you are willing to trade, you can put the XO "replace the base" peep..

or you can put a lyman/williams peep on the side and no scope.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I've got one that's a work in progress. VZ-24 action with a #4 Douglas barrel and XO peep sight. So far it's got a Carbelite stock and weighs @8 pounds with a mercury tube fiberglassed in the stock. Recoil really isn't bad and accuracy is good at 2" at 100yds.

I just haven't decided which wood stock fit's my needs and budget yet.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Rick,
what bullet you getting 2" with? try the hornady 225s!!! i would be thinking the crown is fubar for 2"...

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

I'm using the XO ghost ring rear with an NECG front bead that covers 7" at 100 yards. Heck, I was happy when I got groups around 2". bewildered

I've just this weekend ditched the Carbelite stock with the wimpy forend that I initially started using and I'm in the process of refurbing a birch stock that came with a kit gun until I can find a decent one that suits my fancy.

Right now I'm shooting Hornady 270gr SP with 65.0gr of Varget. I'm curious to see if groups get better with a wooden stock that is free floated instead of that polygoshknowswhat Carbelite.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
AHHH!!!

I thought you meant scoped.. (silly me!!)

good on ya!
jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a take-off 375 H&H barrel (McGowen) that was magna-ported from T.B. on here a while back and had Jim Kobe cut the threads off and re-thread, chamber and install on a 1909 action. I did the bolt handle work and bedded it in a Carbelite stock. I have a 20" ported barrel, fairly lightweight rifle that doesn't kick bad at all (thanks magna-port!).

Awesome little rifle that I'm going to try and shoot a black bear with this fall.

I load the 235gr Speer for now, and it's a good shooting gun, easily under 1 1/2" at 100 yards with a 4X leupold mounted.

I have another barrel on order with Lothar Walther right now for a CZ 550 action I have laying around. This is a #3 contour cut to 23" I believe (it's been awhile). Woody @ Lothar has the 376 Steyr reamer on order and I'm ordering it prethreaded and chambered.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick R:
I've got one that's a work in progress. VZ-24 action with a #4 Douglas barrel and XO peep sight. So far it's got a Carbelite stock and weighs @8 pounds with a mercury tube fiberglassed in the stock. Recoil really isn't bad and accuracy is good at 2" at 100yds.

I just haven't decided which wood stock fit's my needs and budget yet.

Sounds like mine only W/O the peep! cheers

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick R:
Jeffe,

I'm using the XO ghost ring rear with an NECG front bead that covers 7" at 100 yards. Heck, I was happy when I got groups around 2". bewildered

I've just this weekend ditched the Carbelite stock with the wimpy forend that I initially started using and I'm in the process of refurbing a birch stock that came with a kit gun until I can find a decent one that suits my fancy.

Right now I'm shooting Hornady 270gr SP with 65.0gr of Varget. I'm curious to see if groups get better with a wooden stock that is free floated instead of that polygoshknowswhat Carbelite.

Try a Hogue?

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
One of my RickSpecs (much more esoteric than MilSpec) is that the stock can't be more than 31" long so it will fit in the take down case for my rolling duffle. How long is a Hogue stock? I'm also thinking about the B&C Medallist stock.

I shot it with the birch stock yesterday and groups seem about the same as with the Carbelite stock. methinks I need more practice shooting peepsighted rifles. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick--

Peeps shoot accurately but IMO, you need a flat-topped post for a front sight and use a 6 o'clock hold to get the best accuracy rather than guessing if you have the bull centered behind the front sight. I may be a bit prejudiced due to all my experience with military peeps and posts---

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer,
I could shoot smaller groups with a smaller peep and flat topped front post. But I've found that I hit fur quicker with a white dot. I've also found that long range around here (West Virginia) is anything over fifty yards and rarely longer than 100.

This evening I shot the little rifle some more, 8" steel plates at 50 yards suffered badly next session they get moved to 100 yards. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious Rick, how thick do those plates have to be for a .376 @ 50yds?

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Rob,

They're 1" thick and made of T-1. At 50 yards you get the slightest of dimples on the plate surface with the .376. This outing I was playing with the 300gr Hornady RN starting at the beginning load and stair stepping them to about 2,400fps. I don't usually shoot them so close, but my fiance wanted to shoot the rifle and I wanted her to build some confidence with good hits. She commented how the plates disappeared when she pulled the trigger instead of wobbling around before falling like they do with a handgun. Big Grin

Most cup and core bullets don't seem to badly damage T-1 plates till you get over 2,400 fps.

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Just got the range report from my newly built .376 Steyr. It is made on a Ruger 77 with a slim, 24" Douglas(produced in 1991) Premium in 1-12 twist.
It shot under 1/2 MOA with all loads.
That ain't bad?

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote