New
Find
Notify
Tools

This really hit a sore spot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had an older gent stop by at the last gunshow with a rebarreled Mauser. He said it was not feeding and needed to get it fixed. I looked it over and, fealing a little like he needed more help than he could afford, decided to take it home to try and fix it. It was a Milsurp 98 with an aftermarket barrel that someone else had installed. A couple things were evident; the extractor was a bit tight on the cartridge and would not allow the round to slip under it. Worked that over and It helped some. Next was the feed rail on the left side and that helped some more. I finally decided to pull the barrel to put a slight radius on the chamber mouth and that is when I found this.

After talking to the gent, I determined he had ordered a short chambered barrel and had this other "smith" put it on. The barrel had a washer between the barrel shoulder and receiver face; the face of the barrel had a round washer soldered to the face. These were both the same thickness. After pondering this for a while, I determined that the reason for this shimming out the barrel that amount was the "smith" didn't havethe correct chamber reamer and thought this would work out Ok to get the correct headspace.

Can you believe it? I intend to find out who he is and confront him with this. Any suggestions? Am I off base here?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`d be the first in line to "confront" him if it was my rifle. You would have to take 2nds.

The guy is not a smith, he`s a accident waiting to happen!

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, it doesn't surprise me that you took on this project at all and I am sure the cost to the old gent will be what you think he can afford and not what it should be. As to the "Bubba" that did this hack job, yes he should be confronted.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jim,
now that's an O M F G moment...

Jimmy,
you mean moron.. i can't friggin believe someone would do that
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
They guy ought have more than a confrontation out of that one.....

More like his balls tied to bumper of a pickup........

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
The barrel had a washer between the barrel shoulder and receiver face; the face of the barrel had a round washer soldered to the face.

Eeker

I think it is lucky the gentleman found you.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I off base here?

Jim

You need to ask???

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Bust him. Used to be a guy in Spokane what would use duct tape to take up the slop on the threading of a barrel. I mean a LOT of duct tape.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
The barrel had a washer between the barrel shoulder and receiver face; the face of the barrel had a round washer soldered to the face. These were both the same thickness.

Even I'm smart enough to know that one of these should have been a lock washer.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not that i think the solution is wise, but it probably doesnt cause an importan safety issue.

I dont understand why this smith didnt just correct the headspace with a reamer, unless the caliber is som "hula-bula" wildcat

Just to shock all yoy convicting experte, the well reputatet Sauer & Sohn in germany has used the washerajustment of headspace on all their model 80 and 90. Even more shocking in some cases they used Alu washers, witch disapeared if yoy saltblued the barreled action.

Yust thinking;;
If a unknown gunsmith do a little "hokus pokus" when asemblieng a rifle, all hees colegues is picking on him, but if a major manufacturer uses the same trics, ewerybody dont dare to question it, .
some excamples.
Old Sakos were all ajusted with multiple washers, under action and buttommetal, to make correct distances.

Savage use a counternut to ajust the headspace.

Sauer 80 and 90 used up yo 10 thinn washers to ajust headspace( or was it to make the iron sights to be vertical)
Some modern manufacturer use bedding to compensate for loose fitting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, you need to clean the spewed coffee of my keyboard. Classic.

Jim, jump the dumb sob and tell the world who did it.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately,
Major manufacturers seem to be the least informed as to what is safe or the proper method of assembling a rifle, let alone getting one to shoot straight.

Two cases in point would be Remington's trigger.......and Winchester's method of hot glue bedding.

If you're expecting to see the custom gun crowd follow the lead of major manufacturers.......well, it wouldn't make sense to call them "custom" gunbuilders.

There's a reason why smiths are in business.......and it's not because the factory gets it right the first time.

Just my .02.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:

LMFAO

dancing

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, I would certainly leave the professional smith protocol to you, and if that is to confront another fellow who worked on a gun (I can't call him a gunsmith), but to be honest, I don't know if it's you who should confront the guy who did that original 'work'....

As someone else posted, the gentlement who owns the gun was lucky to have found you. I guess I would fix the fellows gun in the proper manner, and let him know that it was my opinion that the original issues with the gun may have been created by whoever worked on the gun previously.

I think the described work sounds pretty pathetic, even if some major manufacturers have done similar, and at that I believe there would have been more precision in their 'washer system' as Forrest said, maybe a manufacturer at least made on a lockwasher.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Kobe, I'm not a smith but I understand a little about it. I can understand that if one had the correct thickness of washer he could properly headspace a short chambered barrel but that would leave a large gap between the bolt face and end of the barrel.

Assuming this was the case, in your opinion was there a serious safety issue with the barreling or just poor methods and workmanship?

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
FUN Forrest FUN

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No it would effectively cause a lengthening of the chamber. The washer would contact the inside of the action and the relationship of the bolt would be (supposedly correct). Jim I thought you were in Minnesota not Arkansas. I'm sure that remark will incur somebody's wrath. I didn't think self respecting northern boy would try and pull a stunt as you described.

There are many things about which a wise man wishes to remain ignorant.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
ForrestB: Even I'm smart enough to know that one of these should have been a lock washer.

Sure you don't want to join the band of bubbas?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Were they hardened washers?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:

That was pretty darn funny! animal

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
That was not due to ignorence but plain stupidity & total iresponsiblity. Cut his balls off & stuff them in his mouth! (figurtivly)

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dont understand why this smith didnt just correct the headspace with a reamer, unless the caliber is som "hula-bula" wildcat

I'm gonna get me one a dem "hula-bula" wildcats sumvdey.

"lock washer"

quote of the year.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At least he didn't face off the back of the locking lugs to set the headspace.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim

I have been reluctant to comment because of the inevitable misinterpretation of my comments by some of the "usual supsects", but I just have to ask, did he get the headspace correct???

No, it doesn't mean I approve!!!

I am suprised he didn't extend the "spacer" down, square off the bottom and call it an auxilary recoil shoulder.

My sugestion is to show the problem to the customer, and ask him if he wants to you make it right. Let him approach the guy who did the "work". What could anyone possible say that is constructive or positive in a confrontation.

Roger

PS your PM arrived yesterday and disappeared this morning???

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m a bit confused over what is expected to take place or what is expected to be resolved by Mr. Kobe confronting the guy that did the work.

Punch him out? Call him bad names? Threaten to sue him for the cost of fixing his handiwork? Take a dump on his lawn????????????????????

And most important, what does the owner of the rifle want to do other than get his rifle fixed?

With all due respect I just don’t see how Mr. Kobe getting involved in this (beyond his generous offer to fix the rifle) is any of his business. The owner of the rifle is the aggrieved party, not Mr. Kobe.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but can see the problem. If this chambering "technique", does not properly support the web of the cartridge, it does indeed, present a clear and present danger. So, yes, "Bubba" does deserve a bloody nose. And from the description, I cannot see how the web is properly supported, either in this case, or in European butcher jobs. Headspace generally has a .010 window, and I can't see doing it with a washers.

Although the lock washer suggestion may have some merit....

Shooters Cast Bullet Alumnus

Ric Carter

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see a picture.

lock washer, awesome.....I'll file that away for cheering me up in long meetings.

Another way you could handle it, show the problem to the gentleman, tell him what you would normally charge for the job, and what you are actually going to charge (it sounds like there will be a difference). Let him know that if it were your gun you would take issue with the work being done that way.

It would be good to find out who the guy is so you can recommend to your friends at least that they avoid him.

pics please.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

you need to clean the spewed coffee of my keyboard.

I'm just glad my mouth was empty.
rotflmo

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
We should probably consider ourselves lucky that Forrest has refrained from posting at least 14,000 times.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
I find it strange that so many of you take this as a personal insult.
It is not the "correct" way to do it, but it is in no way dangerous nor effecting the guns feeding or precision. Basement-gunsmithing is nothing new?

The lynch-mob from the old wild west is definately still alive and kicking....

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would pose 2 questions - #1 what was the twist of the washer jumping and #2 - since you sold the chair moon what was it like working standing up? Big Grin Wink

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
I find it strange that so many of you take this as a personal insult.
It is not the "correct" way to do it, but it is in no way dangerous nor effecting the guns feeding or precision. Basement-gunsmithing is nothing new?

The lynch-mob from the old wild west is definately still alive and kicking....

Bent,

That is really quite a pronouncement you've made considering you have no idea how thick the washer(s) is/are. The case typically protrudes about .110" on a mauser action. Now, if the manufacturer's advertisments are to be believed then the chamber is about .050" short. When you add the two, you exceed .150" which I believe many recommend as the maximum unsupported case length. Now, maybe the washer is thinner, or maybe it's thicker. On the thinner side you are right, but if it is thicker then you are wrong. Problem is, you made your sweeping pronounciation that it was safe without even knowing the actual measurements.

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poleax:
On the thinner side you are right, but if it is thicker then you are wrong. Problem is, you made your sweeping pronounciation that it was safe without even knowing the actual measurements.

You are quite right, Sir, a bit hasty, all right. Well, that's a vouge here on the forum, so you can't really blame me! Smiler

I really had the feeling that most people rebelled against the chimming, and not the case protrusion.I forgot how short the short chambers are, I never work with theese barells.

But you are right indeed, and I stand corrected

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOTE TO SELF:

Don't buy Bubbas Cheap sporterized rifle!

I see the Problem here, but doubt the person who did it will!

Now, Lets all calm down and relax as we thank god it's not our rifle!

We are all Gentlemen and should conduct ourselves as such...Jim Should have a polite chat with this "Smith". As it was a Dangerous Short-cut and could have made full use of all the safety features of Mausers design...As I tell my Residents, "You Learn from your mistakes, just don't kill or maim Patients doing it". He needs an educational guiding hand...and close supervision!

Hansel

Posts: 78 | Location: Surprise, AZ, USA | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
This story reminds me of a fella I met here in town a few years ago.....

He has an ammo and small dealer shop that he works out of his house....sells a variety of holsters, cases, handguns, etc......the norm for a small, one-man-band.

An employee of mine and I decide that we'd go check out what he had to kill some time one day.

I walk in and after chatting with him for a few minutes and looking over his goods; I noticed on a bench he had a cheaper looking 22, of what model I can't recall, in pieces and some gunsmith screwdrivers laying about.
I asked him if he was a gunsmith, hoping he was, because I've had several people locally wanting us to work on their rifles, but never having someone to refer to them to.

His answer kept me from returning to his business.......

"I do light gunsmithing."

No further comment of explanation was needed after that comment, so the question has haunted me ever since.......What exactly happens when you go from "light" gunsmithing, to say.....well, rebarreling mausers???? bewildered

Pawn shops are great places to find these beauties that have been bubba'd beyond belief.
Most times the saddest part about looking at what could have been a great rifle, is the fact that someone spent a helluva lot of time to make it look not only ugly, but unsafe.

I guess the mentality is that of the guy who doesn't want to pay to have his truck worked on and would rather do the work himself. I can sympathize with that logic, but I also recognize when I've gotten in over my head.

I have no qualms at all about changing alternators, breaks, clutches, and carburetors, but I don't take a screw driver to try and jump circuits on my computer modules......
I also don't advertise my abilities as being a mechanic either.......

Williams Machine Works

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dammit anyway. I knew damn well I shouldn't have taken your advice to use those washers when you refused to borrow me those chambering reamers and headspace guages I asked to borrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what kind of washer is certified by SAAMI to withstand WSM pressures? A grade 8? Grade 5? A mild steel washer?

Also, should the washer be left to hold itself in place by friction or should there be a dab of epoxy applied?

Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Also, should the washer be left to hold itself in place by friction or should there be a dab of epoxy applied?"

And I didn't think you were a Bubba! Dont yew know theres no akkurate way to measure a dab! cheers

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello mydear "LYNCHING MOB"

Wouldnt it be possible to get mr Jim Kobe to provide us with some actual measurements, of the actual efective caseheadprotrution.
Would it also be possible to get Mr jim to inform if the washer was silver soldered, or soft tinsoldered.

As i read it Jim was prepared to make a chamfering/radius on the chamber mouth.
How mutch would that have efected the casehead support compared to the not yet known washerthickness.

As far as my alzheimer effected memori tells me, a M98 standard chamber has a headprotrution of about 2.75mm + up to 1.5mm of chamfering/radius.

Other riflebrands has up to 4mm of protrution + 1mm of camfering. They all pass CIP and SAAMI tests.
Some producers use long headprotution as a sort of safetyvalve, to limit the maximum obtainable preasure, so that the lugs wouldnt fall off.

In your lynching mode, do you realise that a CRF rifle with 2.75mm of protrution supports the casehead less than a PF action with 4.5mm of headprotrution(because of the webb at the front of the bolt is sorounding and supporting the head)

I AME NOT TRYING TO DEFEND THE "HOMESMITH" THAT DID THE JOB.

I just ask you to think thorughly about the complete theme before judging anubody, based on IGNORANCE and LACK OF INFORMATION

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The chamber-end washer was soft soldered on as was the spacer washer. The headspace was correct with cartridge protrusion not measured but assumed to be about .105".

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote