Find
Notify
Tools

Headed to School
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted
I am starting my 2nd career and was recently admitted into the Yavapai College Gunsmith School here in Arizona. I start in the Fall 2015.

I have a list of books and tools that I need for the class. Not to sound like I am begging or looking for freebies, but if anyone is aware of any or someone retiring and looking to sell some tools cheap, send them my way or message me.

The books I need for the class are:

Machine Tool Practices by Kibbe, Neely, Meyer and White any edition

The Mauser Bolt Actions-A Shop Manual
4th Edition Ammo Encyclopedia

Encyclopedia Of Modern Firearms

I appreciate any help or information anyone can provide. I am excited to start a new career soon.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you.

I am envious. It must be exciting to start a new advocation.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Lucky You

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
What was your first career?

And why not Susanville, Colorado School of Trades or Trinidad?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This might be a guess, but he probably picked that school because of its relative proximity to his home.

Posts: 1352 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Haha I did pick it cause it is about 45 minute drive away and it is also one of the best I have been told. Several of instructors work at Ruger I believe, they have a plant in Prescott.

I don't like to publicly admit what I did before. Not because I am not proud, but of BS people give you. I was in law enforcement but had to early retire due to eyesight issues. They have stricter medical requirements than the military, in some parts.

My Father and Grandfather are both machinists/amateur smiths so I figured I would become pro! Big Grin

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a like new copy of the book "The Mauser, M91 Through M98 Bolt Actions, A Shop Manual by Jerry Kuhnhausen.

If that is the one you are looking for just PM me with your address and I will ship it out in the morning. I gots to run to the PO and mail some things. Thank your for your LE career.

Good Luck with School,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are so right Duane!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say he's better off going to an accredited school than readin' the internet 'till he thinks he's a gunsmith. No one leaves any of the gunsmithing schools "knowing it all". All that can be done in that two years is hit the basics the right way instead of the internet way. From the on, it's up to the student.

Posts: 715 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck !
BTDT ! But when I finished my original profession opened up so I went back.
The more you study the more you learn . Certainly gunsmithing is an ever learning project.
Good Luck !

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the words of encouragement! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
they are not the specific books you asked for but I have some machine tool books I will give you if your interested. PM me with your info if you want them.
max

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to encourage you or discourage you, but gunsmithing is a tough profession to break into. I wanted to be a gunsmith starting about the 5th grade and continued for the next 60 odd years.

I checked out the 'smithing schools in Cal Lassen College and it was basically a 2 year wood/metal machining course. For a lot less money than the curriculum cost I could have purchased a lathe and mill and learned at my own pace.

Now days you better know CNC machining along with basic metal working...if you haven't been a "wrench" or know welding and into repairing cars etc and can't visualize how things work and are built, that is another BIG disadvantage to becoming a 'smith".

Yes...you can learn these things but that means you are ALWAYS PLAYING CATCHUP to those that grew up learning these things and MANY more.

I'm trying to be real here from PERSONAL experience.

Over time I kept checking different gunsmiths to see what they had to say...NOT THE SCHOOL PROFESSORS...they are just selling classes and books and the school counselors I've come across are full of crap and NOT really up on the REAL job market...I've ran into that scenario 3 times

Most of the 'smiths told me to forget about it unless I wanted to do nothing but barrel polishing/bluing for several years...NONE of them said they would let me touch a customers gun unless I had specific factory school training and could demonstrate to their satisfaction that I knew a hammer from a hammer.

I did my first chamber job on a Win 94 when I was a freshman in metal shop when you could do those kinds of things and I haven't stopped building rifles since...NOT professionally but for myself, friends and family...and have repaired/fixed all kinds of weapons since way back when and even knowing what I know I couldn't get a job that paid enough to raise a family.

I would do my own job searches and talk DIRECTLY to various smiths...like some on this forum either via email or phone...and remember THEY are trying to make a living so have specific questions ready to ask and don't waste THEIR TIME....the first one should be..."Would you hire me fresh out of a specific gunsmithing school and if so what will I be doing and how much is the pay"...

I've had to change professions 5 times in my lifetime...and that's NOT all the odd pickup jobs to fill in when shit happened.

My advice is to use your present skills and NOT to try on your "dream" job unless you can get a GARANTEED job locally...and even with a 2 year degree in gunsmithing trying to get a good job at one of the gun makers will be tough enough.

Turn your law enforcement schooling into a 4 year degree in sociology, criminology, counseling, or security or any one of many fields where you DON'T loose what you have going for yourself already.

Save the gunsmithing for what it basically is...a hobby...unless you have more your not telling us...I DO know a bit about that...I have 5 collage degrees including one a BA in Psychology and have counseled people who have lost jobs/loved ones and families...I couldn't take their pain and it was causing ME to go around the bend, so I quit and started in on another profession. Frowner Roll Eyes killpc

One last bit...a "kid" basically just out of Lassen College came to the small town I was living in, set up shop and started his business. His father who was an assistant manager at Sears and I knew him, quit his job and became the store manager. I went in, he showed me the gun he build as his final grade, it was very nice so I ordered a Ruger 44 cal Super Blackhawk from him. I could have ordered the pistol from one of the other 3 sporting goods shops in town but I wanted to help him get started. I put down half and never saw the gun...Don't know why but after 3 months he gave me back my money. He closed up a little while later and went to work as a machinist for Boeing Co.

Just something else to think about.

Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't let the people discourage you from your goals. If you study hard and become tops in the class people will be looking for you.

Here is some of the things I have observed with the guys going to gunsmith schools. I have watched several that went to school, but couldn't make a stock on the pro level. We hired about 10 or 12 over a period of 30 yrs and most could run a lathe or a mill to make parts. Some could inlet stocks from semi inletted stocks, but not a one could checker the stock. If you learn stockmaking and checkering you will always have more work than you can accomplish. Only about 5% of students going to the schools have the ability to become a pro stockmaker. I had only one guy working with us that had me guide him thru checkering a stock in the shop. We had a high volume shop with 4 fulltime gunsmiths.

I believe that the best high dollar jobs are in custom building, but it takes time to build you
customers.

Just my 3 dollars worth,
Les Brooks, retired gunsmith

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all words of encouragement or advice. I really am not going into this looking to come out as a know it all. I know I will still have alot to learn but I hope to have the basics.

I will probably work on the side for most of it as I am not in a financial position to just quit working and try to make this take off. I do hope one day to open my own shop, whether it be retail gun store or just a custom build shop. My ultimate goal would be a custom build shop, but I can see that is a ways off right now and I will have to work hard to get there.

I cannot express how much I appreciate the the book offers I have gotten. Thanks again!!

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I have gotten some of the books I need and I appreciate it very much. More than I can express. Again, I am not begging for anything or even asking so to speak. Just if you know someone that has these and may not need them anymore. I am willing to pay for them too at a reasonable used book or tool price. Even if its just the shipping I appreciate everything. Below is what remains of my list. I got a bunch of tools last week from a retiring machinist in California.

Carbide Scribe
Assorted 20 pc. end mill set
Three 5/16 or 3/8 High Speed Square Tool
Tap Set (Brownell’s gunsmithing set)
Tap Wrench (Brownell’s)
Gunsmith Screwdriver Set
12” Dial Calipers
55 degree center guage

I have received some of the books here is whats left:

4th Edition Ammo Encyclopedia (this one is pricey on Amazon)
Encyclopedia Of Modern Firearms
The US 30 cal gas op service rifles I & II
The Rem. 870/1100 shop manual