New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best custom rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are some of your opinions on custom rifle companies to have a 375 built?

" Knowledge without experience is just information. "

- Mark Twain

Posts: 141 | Location: santa maria, ca | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Try a PM to Biggestgun here on AR. I have handled many of his custom big bores and like what I saw.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
only obstruction on what you can get is what you have in your wallet. If you have the means you can get anything you want. Check gunsmithing here. there are some fair to middlen gunsmiths here

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
If you really want best give D'Arcy Echols a call. he has a few - very few - peers but is a great place to start.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
There is an element of aesthetics, and sometimes craftsmanship that is more akin to art than wood and metalworking. So your question is similar to asking "who is the best sculptor". There are several different riflesmiths whose customers think they are the best, and that is how it should be.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably the first place to start is to determine if it will be a wood or synthetic creation, and an approximate budget. That will really be the determining factor. For instance, Westley Richards will build you a "bespoke" magazine rifle in 375 for probably somewhere north of $40,000. But for $9,000 to $12,000, artisans like Lon Paul, Duane Wiebe, Gary Goudy, Sterling Davenport, and others will build you a rifle that is every bit as elegant as the WR. Even in synthetics, for $10,000+, Jarrett will build you a Professional Hunter in 375, but guys like Wayne at AHR and Mike at Bijou Creek will create a synthetic rifle equal in function and performance, but for $3,500 or so.

Once you determine the price you can live with, then "the best" becomes a term easier to nail down.

Posts: 20142 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Martini Gunmakers. Ralf Martini is an artist and does not take several years to build a gun for you.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
There is an element of aesthetics, and sometimes craftsmanship that is more akin to art than wood and metalworking. So your question is similar to asking "who is the best sculptor". There are several different riflesmiths whose customers think they are the best, and that is how it should be.

I totaly agree, just curious as to what opinions people have who have ever had a rifle made. I"m interested in more of an highly accurate workhorse type more than show. Something like an Ed Brown Savanah maybe?

- Mark Twain

Posts: 141 | Location: santa maria, ca | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lex Webernick owns Rifles, Inc. He has built 3 rifles for me and another 7 for friends of mine. He does big bore Africa to .17 cal. varmint guns, as well as ultralights.I have a 300 Win Mag std., a 300 Win Mag lightweight, and a 416 Rem from him. All 3 are synthetic stocked and consistently shoot under a MOA. He's extremely knowledgeable, and very easy to deal with. His # is (830) 569 2955.Good luck!

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lex's # is 569-2055. I didn't have my glasses on..!

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sterling Davenport Tucson, Arizona.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you really want best give D'Arcy Echols a call. he has a few - very few - peers but is a great place to start.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Who would be his peers? Just curious.

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aussie21,

Check out HS Precision.

http://www.hsprecision.com/shop/

I just received my new .375 H & H. Custom built professional hunter series goes for about 3k.

You will not be disappointed. It took 9 months to build.

dale

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
A21- before you lay your hands on a decent rifle, you will have prove that you know what a half decent woman looks like. Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Wiebe

one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 for D'Arcy Echols

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
Wiebe

Yes, Duane Wiebe would be my selection. Great on the stockmaking and the metalwork as well. Genuine nice guy to boot.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
For around $1,000 to $2,495 you can get a .375 from several commericial gunmakers that will kill any Elephant, Lion, Rhino, Hippo or Buffalo that walks the forest or plains of Africa. They really won't care what it costs...they're just as dead Cool Joking aside, no matter the cost, buy what you are drawn to. It's your money and a custom rifle is made just for you, beit wood or synthetic stocked. I would shop for it at the Dallas or Reno show. Lots of the custom guys on hand.
Good hunting,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Lex at Rifles Inc great to work with. Have a 300 Win Master Series from him that shoots about anything you put through it under an inch, and quite a few in around 1/2 inch. Hope to have him working on a 375 for me in the very near future, after dealing with him on the first rifle I would not consider going anywhere else. However there are many great options out there like Jarrett, Echols, etc really depends on what you are looking for and what you want to spend and finding someone that you like to work with.

Posts: 54 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed Brown Savanah is a first class working rifle.

Take a look at Mel Forbes/New Ultra Light Arms.

Enjoy the search beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of Lex's safari rifles in the old Elmer Keith wildcat, the 460 Guns & Ammo..a full-length blown out 404 Jeffery case. Does 500gr 458s at about 2,450 or so. Even have 100+ original properly-headstamped brass that Larry at Superior loaded with TBBC solids and softs. It's been my Buff rifle, and is as tough and accurate as they come..

Posts: 20142 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any thoughts on Empire Rifles?

Posts: 98 | Location: NW Missouri | Registered: 26 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vandyboy
posted Hide Post
I have had Greg Tannel at Gre-Tan Rifles built two rifles for me. A .280 and a .300 Ultra Mag. Both are tack drivers and he does excellant work. I do not believe he does wood stocks though. One was a Remington 700 rebuild and the other a Winchester Model 70.

Posts: 111 | Location: Jackson, MI USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
A21- before you lay your hands on a decent rifle, you will have prove that you know what a half decent woman looks like. Cool

How's this?

- Mark Twain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
aussie21, I want to test fire that one rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jokes aside Lex does great work

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to set a ceiling price to
go into this project. dancing

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
http://www.serengetirifles.com...ifles/serengeti.html

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 795 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rw Taylor In regards to your question please please contact me by e-mail.

Posts: 31 | Location: kirkj@earthlink.net | Registered: 15 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, I thought that the 460 G&A was a Tom Siatos deal (not that it matters). This was the calibre of Jeff Cooper's big gun, IIRC.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few really good builders out there; but for me it would be 'who builds the style of rifle that I am looking for'. The now 'late' Larry Brace' was about as good as it got. Have one from him that he got almost done before he passed on. Finished it myself, but sure wish he had more time.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just about anything by Lon Paul.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Only interesting rifles are accurate ones.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9906 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ryan Breeding, Joe Smithson, Ralf Martini, all built quality, functional and great looking rifles.

Wayne Jacobson (American Hunting rifles.) does great work, a short time for building and his rifles are reasonably priced.

All named above are honorable builders who you will not have to worry about quality or problems occurring.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for a solid and accurate Africa type hunting rifle...or piece of art to be looked at and enjoyed...not turned over to the baggage smashers of the International Airlines??!! There is a big difference unless you have a bottomless checkbook and are fearless as to loss or damage!! SERIOUSLY!!
Now as for custom rifles, I enjoy them, bought more than ordered custom to my specs...the only big one for Africa was ordered some 20 years ago, a 416 Rigby on pre-64 Win action...and is still in progress!! Yup, no kidding!! In the mean time I have adopted English doubles and collected the Dangerous 7...so do I really need it now??!! I will take delivery, if ever tendered...I really like this fellows work, he is a friend, but he could die before it's done!!
I will take my Pre-64 Model 70's to Africa, they do the job,and YES I do still cringe when turning my Model 70 over to the airlines too... and I will continue to buy custom pieces of art/guns as they come along...at 50% of the cost to build one....

470EDDY

Posts: 2600 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about Gil VanHorn and Steve Heilman. Two of the very best in the world. I think even D'Arcy would proudly bow to old man VanHorn.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote