New
Find
Notify
Tools

czs on a diet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
could some of you please post pics of your cz rifles where you have kept the factory stock but either refinished it and/or slimmed it down?

thanks!

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sir
you don't get much weight off by reshaping the stocks .. though you can improve the looks of them.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think keeping the original stock and finish on a CZ can be a good idea.If your going to change everything on a CZ,and bring the cost up really high,you might as well start with a better action.There is nothing wrong with the stock,IMO.It keeps the rifle looking very original,has a great shape,fits the action well and is quite strong.If I ever thought about modifying the CZ stock,I would do so only after I rebarelled the rifle.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks, jeffe. not really thinking in terms of weight reduction but rather in handling and appearance. i have saved a link to a project marc stokeld did for someone and would like to see any others.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
JudgeG had one redone, but it may have been the "hogback" stock. Not sure.

Here are some hogback rework pictures.

Edit: M1Tanker refinished a couple of his CZs as well.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I think keeping the original stock and finish on a CZ can be a good idea.If your going to change everything on a CZ,and bring the cost up really high,you might as well start with a better action.There is nothing wrong with the stock,IMO.It keeps the rifle looking very original,has a great shape,fits the action well and is quite strong.If I ever thought about modifying the CZ stock,I would do so only after I rebarelled the rifle.

jeffe

Say thanks to your straight man...

C'mon, tiger sahib.

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I'm not a professional, but here's a stock I redid for my CZ550 375 H&H (for like the third time). I added a redwood forend and grip cap, reshaped the cheek-piece, new recoil pad, and slimmed off some of the excess wood around the butt of the stock. Not worlds greatest, but it works for me and was a fun project.

Sorry for the poor pics.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice work, sevens. please show us more pics of the complete rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
JudgeG had one redone, but it may have been the "hogback" stock.

I believe that you are correct. I asked Roger Ferrell to do the same refurb for me, but he said that he was not interested in this type of work any more. It must have been quite an ordeal, but the results were stunning.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
nice work, sevens. please show us more pics of the complete rifle

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but figured I'd show off the completed rifle now that it's all back together.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think keeping the original stock and finish on a CZ can be a good idea. If your going to change everything on a CZ,and bring the cost up really high,you might as well start with a better action. There is nothing wrong with the stock,IMO.It keeps the rifle looking very original,has a great shape,fits the action well and is quite strong.If I ever thought about modifying the CZ stock,I would do so only after I rebarelled the rifle.

quote:
shootaway
one of us
Picture of shootaway

Posted 15 November 2008 03:52 Hide Post
I was told by a famous guild gunsmith/gunmaker that FUNCTIONALLY there is NO difference between a CZ 550 action and ANY other more expensive action.So,my second custom project will be with a the CZ action I sent him.He has built rifles with GMA and more expensive actions.

rotflmo

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only issue I have with the CZ action so far,is the seperate magazine box, its large capacity and soft spring and that may not be an issue unless I test it some more.I was in the process of doing so a while back and the CZ barrel went,causing me to stop.I am going to start again even if the barrel is shot out because it's the feeding and magazine I will be testing.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is also a longer bolt travel on the larger CZ action compared to a ruger.A longer bolt travel and a larger bolt handle take longer to cycle.I am looking forward to seeing what the Vector action is like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...I kind of have to jump to the defense of the CZ. The receiver is a Mauser through and through. C ring, extractor undercut, third lug. It would probably get more attention if it sold for $2500.00 (To quote Tom Burgess).

Bolt travel?...come on...you pull the bolt back until it stops and push it forward until it stops...maybe I have to think about that a bit??

Although I see nothing really wrong with the seperate magazine...it IS made of rather flimsy material.

Our very next run is CZ bottom metal with an integral box..I like the idea better too!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Finally! Will you be making one for the 458wm and the 458 lott? I got a chance to cycle a CZ at the Hoot and shoot that had work done on it by someone,in that the action and synthetic stock were in camouflage green.The action was really rough and did not compare at all to the super slick one I had done by Ralph Martini.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I have CZ's in 7x57, 270, 9.3x62, and 404 Jeffery. I wouldn't trade them for any other actions...but that could be because they are all paid for and residing in my safe! Cool I'm thinking of building one in 308 Win.

None have factory stocks, although I did reshape one factory stock and send it to Donny Gemes (along with a blank) to use as a pattern stock.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Finally! Will you be making one for the 458wm and the 458 lott? I got a chance to cycle a CZ at the Hoot and shoot that had work done on it by someone,in that the action and synthetic stock were in camouflage green.The action was really rough and did not compare at all to the super slick one I had done by Ralph Martini.

It's kinda like trying to make one size shoe fit everybody... The CZ box at the rear is plenty wide enough....then starts to taper a little too fast for a proper stack on the 458, 404, etc. as we get towards the front.

So..We could make the box thicker at the front so it could be opened up...but then the box would not fit into the action mortise.

My gut feeling is to just go ahead with the thicker box. Let the cusomer deal with the retrofit.

I'm looking for feed-back here

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure I understand.It would be great to have one that fits easily in place and is cartridge specific.How about making three models-one for the 375 H&H,458 lott and 416 rigby?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Well...I kind of have to jump to the defense of the CZ. The receiver is a Mauser through and through. C ring, extractor undercut, third lug. It would probably get more attention if it sold for $2500.00 (To quote Tom Burgess).

Bolt travel?...come on...you pull the bolt back until it stops and push it forward until it stops...maybe I have to think about that a bit??

Although I see nothing really wrong with the seperate magazine...it IS made of rather flimsy material.

Our very next run is CZ bottom metal with an integral box..I like the idea better too!

yes, but atrocious bolt handle, trigger, and safety!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what's bad about the safety once tuned?

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duane Wiebe: It would probably get more attention if it sold for $2500.00 (To quote Tom Burgess).

Yep. They clean up just fine and leave nothing to be desired, except possibly a bolt guide. But they don't bind anyway.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think so G. Dennis Olson had to make some repairs that cropped up and for the moment he fixed the mounts but I do want to have the bridges changed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whats wrong with the bolt handle ? or the safety or trigger ? only trouble i ever had was with the feeding ,you dont need a 3 position saftey ,i like the set trigger and bolt never bothered me at all

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post

I like the bolt handle.

The trigger is very nice when adjusted correctly, and I use the set feature all the time at the range. I wish all my rifles has a set trigger now.

All my CZs have a three position factory safety, and when polished they are slick and quiet.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankhunter:
Whats wrong with the bolt handle ? or the safety or trigger ? only trouble i ever had was with the feeding ,you dont need a 3 position saftey ,i like the set trigger and bolt never bothered me at all

Bolt handle is too small and too close to the stock when closed to suit me. I can see difficulty in working the bolt when cold, wearing gloves, or under stress.

I am having 2 CZs restocked, actions slicked up, and new bolt handles, triggers, safeties, and sights added and a barrel band on the 375. This should make good rifles into very nice rifles when finished.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G.Hansen:
jsl3170, Thanks for sharing photos of your CZ project. Q. Are you still considering having the bridges machined to accommodate standard Talley rings? Duane Wiebes' interest in making a one-piece bottom metal for the CZ550M certainly has my attention. If it will allow 4 rounds down in a .416 Rigby, I'm definitely on board. Thanks again.

It looks like we are going to offer two floorplate versions...one a little thicker to accomodate the 416 with four down

One of Us
posted Hide Post
will it be the coffin style or flush to the bottom of the stock duane?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the floorplate always extends a little below the bottom stock line...the thicker version will extend about .075 further...visually, the edges will be thin so it won't look extra thick.

Hopefully I'll have photos "soon"

A true coffin plate might be also be a possibility.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oday450:

Bolt handle is too small and too close to the stock when closed to suit me. I can see difficulty in working the bolt when cold, wearing gloves, or under stress.

The first picture is for comparison. It's a custom bolt handle on a Mauser.

The last picture is with the handle open on the CZ 550 to show the clearance of the scope. It looks to me like there would be a problem if the handle was curved up higher - in hand clearance. Also the hand clearance looks fine to me with the bolt in the closed position. You be the judge.

I've included a couple of pictures of the prized BRNO, which everyone raves about. The bolt handles look very close to the same to me as far as clearance and function.

The bolt knob on the CZ is very close to the diameter of the FN knob, which I don't read this chronic complaint about it being too small.

KB

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Almost every article on improving the CZ550 includes replacing or filling and bending the bolt handle. Do a search on this forum for examples or read Michael Scherz or Mark Skofeld's articles - all change the bolt handle.

I happen to like a little larger ball and did not like the close tolerance. Additionally, the CZ hole in the ball is in my opinion useless and ugly. But, like women, we don't all have te same taste or look for the same things.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oday450:
I happen to like a little larger ball and did not like the close tolerance. Additionally, the CZ hole in the ball is in my opinion useless and ugly. But, like women, we don't all have te same taste or look for the same things.

Sometimes I forget that there are two CZ 550s, which are basically two very different rifles, and bolt handles. It's almost two different discussions.

It seems to me the thing about the larger knob ball, and the close tolerance, is there are two paremeters to deal with - namely the clearance when the bolt is closed and the clearance when it's open. It has to be balanced if a scope is used or it will be tight on hand clearance in one place or the other. So, with a bigger knob, to get more tolerance (clearance) will require a longer stem. The length of the stem is where the clearance will come from, not the bend (or not) of the stem.

I like a larger knob too, and I also don't like the hole in the end of the knob on the safari. The hole is relatively easy to fix. But I'm not willing to replace the whole handle for a larger knob. It ain't worth it to me, when the factory knob is just fine. If it's about taste, that's one thing. If it's about what works and is practical - the CZ factory handle works great, and with a few minimal changes, it works better, such as straightening, and filling the hole in the knob (on the safari). Replacing the whole handle is all about taste... (period)

Obviously, the handle in my pictures has been straightened, which did the trick for me, and is relatively cheap compared to replacment.

Besides, and after all, the CZ 550 medium action has a handle that is threaded, and the knob comes off. It probably wouldn't bee too much trouble, if a guy really wanted to turn and thread a replacment knob in whatever shape and diameter he wanted - pear shape, tactical, acorn, spoon, duckbill, pussy or whatever makes him happy. Smiler

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wiebe, the metal you're talking about doing for the .416 Rigby: will it fit the factory inlet without modification?

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote