Notify
Tools

Jeffe & others: .376 Steyr barrel dimensions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted
Jeffe & fellow .376 shooters,

I am looking at the barrel for my .376 Steyr project rifle. I expect to use a Lothar Walther barrel, and make it 23.6" (600 mm) long.

This rifle is based on an intermediate length commercial M98 pattern action.

What weight of barrel are you using? I mesured my Steyr SBS .376 ProHunter, and it goes .678" at the muzzle of the 20" barrel. This looks a bit heavy to me, but that is only .150" wall thickness.

I figure this rifle will be mostly carried, and shot from time to time in the field, so I want the package to tend to lighter weight (but not a "mountain rifle" -- no sheep on the menu).

What does your rifle weigh?

thanks...jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
In my .376 I'm using the lightest contour the maker will provide in the caliber. I am not there yet so I haven't picked one but the round just doesn't need a lot of weight. Pick what's pleasing to the eye.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
my next one will be very light.. i am using a CZ take off barrel..

i would suggest a 3.5 contour or so... or take that .678 and run it out to 24-26 "... that will make a pencil thin barrel.

i would like my next one to weigh in at about 7.75 or 8#

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Shilen in #5 and sent it back, to heavy, not sure why I even ordered it. Plan to get a #3 if I can get one that light, if not a #4.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shilen makes a #3 375 barrel--I bought one for my 375 Whelen AI. It is very light and well finished as you would expect from Shilen. Check Midway. This would be on the "mountain" end of things, however.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mid way is out of stock on the shilen #3. called Midway they said 2 mo. delivery. I may just bite the bullet and pay the 30 bucks extra and get it from Shilen in two weeks, just have to figure out when I need it.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billy e-mail me before you order a barrel. Butch papawlambert@starband.net

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowcat; Tell me more about your 375 Whelen AI. Have an 06 and 35 Whelen Improved on 1917 actions and have thought about the 400 but just don't have a use for it.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
L O-
Goal was to make a lightweight inexpensive, and powerful working rifle for carry and scabbard use. Its built on a VZ 24 and will feed with no rail or bolt head work. I am having someone install a Tally handle and chamber the #3 Shilen. I'll D&T, install a timney and buehler 2 position safety, and have stoned the action--it looks pretty good. I'll blue it myself and have a nice piece of California Bastogne that I'm making a stock with patterned after the Win Featherweight which I like.

I could have gone with the 376 Steyr or the 375 Taylor (both great rounds that I looked seriously at) but they would have required action work, held fewer down, and were more powerful than I needed them to be for a 200 yd. thumper on a whip barreled bolt gun. I like that I can make brass from any 06 or 35 whelen brass I have around also. I expect 260 Noslers to get 2550, and 210 X's to get 2800 without pushing things too hot (based on reduced Z-Hat 375 Hawk/Scoville data which has about 5% greater capacity). I'm excited about getting it from the smith-should be next week.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote