New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinning Acraglass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who can tell me what substance thins Acraglass? I know vinegar cuts this epoxy but what would made it more liquid...

I'd like to "paint" with it.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think styrene can be used to thin agra-glass

[This message has been edited by Mauser98 (edited 01-21-2002).]

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeBee:
Who can tell me what substance thins Acraglass? I know vinegar cuts this epoxy but what would made it more liquid...

I'd like to "paint" with it.

If I remember correctly ordinary acetone can be use to thin it-but try a small quantity first!

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check Brownells, they sell an acraglass thinner.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Methylethylketone (MEK) works, but you'd better know what you're up to. It may not be available in the corner store these days, as it was 20+ years ago. Best to work under an exhaust hood with solvent gloves. I also use the NBC filters in my respirator. Make sure you read the applicable MSDS before you proceed.

Acraglass thinned to the consistency of water makes a great sealer inside a stock. There are probably MEK substitutes available; I'll be trying acetone next time. Some of these super-solvents may attack the binding material used in laminated stocks.

Posts: 63 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was hoping to seal the inside of a stock without building up too much thickness...

I see Brownell's has it but I was hoping to pick some up at the local Depot tomorrow or the next... The Brownells stuff seems steep for a can.

Lacquer Thinner? Wood Alcohol? Turpentine?

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
<gone hunting>
posted
walmart sales acetone and it works fine
i've used it

------------------

Death Before Dishonor