New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most used fixtures in your shop
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm in machining tech full time at the community college here, and I have the materials and the time to put together some good gunsmithing stuff.

What homemade fixtures do you use most often in your shop? No, not the liquor still!

I'm sketching up a barrel vise and action wrench at the present.

Posts: 128 | Location: East Central NC, USA | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recommend you buy Mark Stratton's book and CD-ROM. You can read about it and order it here.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
It's a tie between the phone and checkbook.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yeah, mine is the light fixture.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Air compresser

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
does the electric beaver count as a fixture?

i probably bother designing a vise and wrench, if I was just starting out... like pliers, it's hard to design them better... but it can be done

my pantograph
stock cradle
enfield turning fixture

in about that order

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeffe, how did you design your enfield grinding fixture? I've got one I built using a cup stone in a drill press, but, it takes a long time and a lot of repeated quenching. I think I got the design out of Gunsmith Kinks. It works, but, is very time consuming. Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a simple barrel vise
then copy this one. The next post will have an action wrench also. These tools will work on almost all actions and they will not cost much time to make. Les

[IMG][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=228251&c=500&z=1"] [/url][/IMG]

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Action wrench for Mauser and Rem actions. Turn the bottom section over and then the round section will fit the Rem. with some sheet rock tape coated with powdered rosin from Brownell's.

[IMG][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=228252&c=500&z=1"] [/url][/IMG]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
recipe for an enfield fixture

1" solid round, 1/4" plate, 60 degree countersince in both ends, custom bushings to fit into the rails, bolt THROUGH the bushings to lock the action down, spin in chuck and a live center..

adjust height for desired radius...

WARNING: this creates POWERFUL HAMMERING interrupted cuts on a lathe

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a shotgun tool to use for checking the barrel and chamber. This tool was made over 40 yrs ago and made me lots of dollars by checking chokes and reboring of chokes. We had a long mic. , but this simple tool was so quick and it had a direct read out on the dial for instant check. Bend the arms to fix all sizes of shotgun barrel work, zero the dial and pull out slowly to read. This tool will let you check the chamber for swells as well as the forcing cone area. Mark chamber lengths on the side of the bottom arm and you can read the short chamber shotgun quickly.

[IMG][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=253798&c=500&z=1"] [/url][/IMG]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeffe, I'll have to study that one for a while. Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
It's a tie between the phone and checkbook.
jump

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Preface all following with "I am not a gunsmith"

Are you planning on doing smithing for work or just for pleasure? If for work then I would look into the things that are going to help with the most encountered jobs, i.e.

Bolt handle welding fixture (there were some pics on here I posted)
jeweling fixture
your own version of recoil pad grinding setup (if you don't want to buy one from brownells)

my understanding is that the biggest thing shops get hit with is pad installation, is that true?

Would probably be worth it to make some mandrels for the different actions. my understanding is that you need to have a properly fit mandrel to be able to surface grind the action true to the bore, if you're doing base and rings on an action that is cattywompass a bit then the top of the rings will have to be corrected. (if my understanding of how that works is wrong somebody please correct me).

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kimball stock vice, hands down.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's that Chic? I have the cradle you sent me, I have given up for the time being on trying to figure out how to get that machine gun turret mounted, for now I am going to make an adapter plate to mount it to my existing stand.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow thanks all for the neat stuff! I'm studying manual and CNC machining after having been laid off from my manufacturing job in December. Get to take classes for an Associates Degree on the taxpayers dime....so thanks everyone. Rest assured your tax dollars will not be wasted!

Please post and describe any tools and fixtures you have made in your shops...

I've been tinkering on my own guns since I was six, but the machining degree has opened up a whole new world of possibilities. School is going grand; have great instructors, good classmates, regular day hours (after 7.5 years of rotating 12 hour shifts), and lots of pretty 18 and 19 year old girls to watch....

Posts: 128 | Location: East Central NC, USA | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you really want to do a neat project, machine a Forster drill and tap fixture.

You can improve upon it by making it a bit longer and adding another post for a V or a flat block so that the spacing between posts is shorter overall.

-Spencer