New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser thumb notch?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have heard various reasons given for the thumb notch in military mauser actions. One is to facilitate stripper clip use..another is to vent gas in the event of case rupture. Anyone know what the true reason is or are these accurate?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Vent gas ???? As far as I know the only reason is for use with a stripper clip .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Years ago when scopes/clips/etc. were not common one could insert, usually 5 rounds via stripper clip into the magazine quite quickly and keep on shooting. Hold rifle in left hand, place stripper into "ears" of rear bridge, push down with thumb of right hand, and the cut out area permitted full travel to make sure all the rounds went into the magazine. Brush the stripper clip away and keep on firing. Don't believe it had any connection to venting, routing any gases. Typical commercial Mausers abandon the cut out for some say it does make the action less rigid???? Does it hurt anything to have the cut out, not really and since many, many surplus military actions used to make a sporting rifle any problems would have been heard of by now. My VZ24, 9.3x62, express sights only, no scope intended, has the cut out and I have a supply of stripper clips and it lets you dump a mag full pretty quick. Won't take 5 as normal, but four plus one is still quite quick and smooth to do. Probably more than you ever wanted to know, huh.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. When topping off the mag with single rounds, it allows you to instantly clear a cartridge that has fallen against the left raceway (this should be on all bolt guns).

2. It allows you to load from stripper clips while wearing heavy winter gloves over frozen fingers. It also allows you to use the knife-edge of your hand to push down on the cartridges, should your thumb be injured or missing.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks TC. I have used the search feature on numerous sites and wasn't able to get a definitive answer. I have seen various Mauser 98s with the thumb cut but without allowances for stripper clips. I have one and quite frankly don't use the thumb notch. The patent would give reason to someone building a replica who was interested in remaining faithful to the original design. I guess we can agree that the notch was for gas relief and the other advantages just accrued.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
on that, I wasn't aware of it's actual use until the thread I linked to.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Well, well, who'd a thunk it?? Learn something everyday and can see how it would work as an escape path for gases, etc. with the drawing you provided. Guess the modern commercial versions did not have such an escape valve in mind.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Petrov:

I think if the original design intent was gas escape the notch would have been at the front of the receiver wall immediately behind the receiver ring.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The notch right behind the front ring would have made the action much weaker than it is with the notch to the rear. It would be a terrible design for an action

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never did i myself. but once saw a M-70 with "thumb cut" Also saw a Husqvarna, Paul Dressel's own rifle that he "thumb cutted" Really, the cut makes a lot of sense.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had to use the thumb cut when loading from stripper clips, just like the directions show!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
The notch right behind the front ring would have made the action much weaker than it is with the notch to the rear. It would be a terrible design for an action

The action is nearly cut in 2 either way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
I've never had to use the thumb cut when loading from stripper clips, just like the directions show!

Do it in cold weather with heavy gloves.
Better yet do it in cold weather with heavy gloves with a M91 and NO thumb cut.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I still use the thumb cut when single loading at the bench with a scope. I reach over with my right hand and lay a round on rhe follower then reach thru the thumb cut with my left index finger and press it down into the mag.

Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IR2-

You obviously don't have the knowledge required to understand the difference, or the personality to learn. In order to do learn, a person must first admit that they do not know everything and others know more on certain topics.

Why do you even come on this board? The people here almost exclusively come to learn more, help others learn, and many become friends and wind up as hunting partners.

I swore before I would never even acknowledge your posts due to the rude way you responded to me and everyone else. Well, I did my usual thing and gave someone a second chance and overlooked things you were saying. And you burned me again. So then I do what I do more often than not-I gave you a third chance and overlooked the way you write to me and everyone else on the board. And now you respond in the only manner I have ever seen you respond.

Iron clad rule for me this time-I will no longer feed this troll.

edited to add-I just figured out how to add some one to my "ignore list." Brilliant! Forrest has had an awesome strategy all along! Well, don't think I will take it to his extreme as mentioned in his signature line. One person on my list should take care of all my problems. thumb

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Michael, a picture is worth.....
This was news to me the first time you posted it!

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1827 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
IR2-

You obviously don't have the knowledge required to understand the difference, or the personality to learn. In order to do learn, a person must first admit that they do not know everything and others know more on certain topics.

Why do you even come on this board? The people here almost exclusively come to learn more, help others learn, and many become friends and wind up as hunting partners.

I swore before I would never even acknowledge your posts due to the rude way you responded to me and everyone else. Well, I did my usual thing and gave someone a second chance and overlooked things you were saying. And you burned me again. So then I do what I do more often than not-I gave you a third chance and overlooked the way you write to me and everyone else on the board. And now you respond in the only manner I have ever seen you respond.

Iron clad rule for me this time-I will no longer feed this troll.

edited to add-I just figured out how to add some one to my "ignore list." Brilliant! Forrest has had an awesome strategy all along! Well, don't think I will take it to his extreme as mentioned in his signature line. One person on my list should take care of all my problems. thumb

Poor old Marc,

1. Was my statement about the action being nearly cut in two either way not accurate?
2. Go look at DeHaas book on bolt actions and you will see a 98 that is broken at the thumb notch.
3. The action would actually be stronger with the thumb notch at the front since the receiver rail is thicker there. Not that you actually considered that.
4. You are still dragging that "noble cause of the starving artist" BS whine out here. Since you have notoriously thin skin you might want to take something before you read posts here.
Actually you seem to be the trollete here.