THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Which cheap synthetic stock for a custom Mexican Mauser?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which cheap synthetic stock for a custom Mexican Mauser?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What would be the best cheap tuperware stock to put this barreled action in?

url=http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/71shooter/media/image_zpshtbm7xro.jpeg.html] [/url]

It's a small ring mex with a Wiebe 06' bottom metal. I can whittle, grind, and scrape. I can also trim back the front tang if need be. Thanks for any advice.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Choate? Think they're $100 On midway

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
You need to go to church and beg forgiveness for thinking of putting tupperware on that!

At the very least you could put it in a Boyds walnut stock or recontour a military takeoff for little of nothing.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
You need to go to church and beg forgiveness for thinking of putting tupperware on that!

At the very least you could put it in a Boyds walnut stock or recontour a military takeoff for little of nothing.

My original intent was to cerakote the whole thing and have Wayne York put it in Pendleton stock. That may eventually happen, for now I can only afford Tupperware.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything Swede Mauser should whittle down to work.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
What Mark said .. the 96 swede stock can be made to fit

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:

OYE!

Sacrilege

You should send the Mauser to me for safe-keeping.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice fella's! I think I'll try out a Ram-Line, for now. I hope the comb is low enough for the open sights.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
You can lower the comb some with a rasp.
Then texture paint the whole thing.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
The new Champion (used to be Ramline )stocks aren't too bad looking, just ordered one and waiting for it to arrive......check out " m96 synthetic stocks" in the sporterized military section for a pic.

Roger

Posts: 1041 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
At least look at this before you buy plastic

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com...temCode=324421K04X17

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At least look at this before you buy plastic

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com...temCode=324421K04X17

Thanks for the link. This rifle was meant to be a tough, all weather gun. The barrel is stainless for that reason. I envisioned a gun built for Alaska. Wood isn't out of the question, but I'll try plastic to start with.

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm interested to see how you make the bottom metal fit. Looks like its for a standard length Mauser? If so, that's going to require a new/modified front hole to fit the action and might be quite a bit of work to fit in a stock meant for a Mex Mauser.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmallCal:
I'm interested to see how you make the bottom metal fit. Looks like its for a standard length Mauser? If so, that's going to require a new/modified front hole to fit the action and might be quite a bit of work to fit in a stock meant for a Mex Mauser.

Duane made this one for me with the front guard screw hole drilled in the right spot to fit a Mexican. There will be more inletting, for sure.

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:

Duane made this one for me with the front guard screw hole drilled in the right spot to fit a Mexican. There will be more inletting, for sure.

That's a great idea, wouldn't have thought of it. Are you using it full length or will you remove the excess toward the front of the action? Might be easier than all that inletting.

Maybe pick up a second at Richards microfit you could use for a pattern later?

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmallCal:
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:

That's a great idea, wouldn't have thought of it. Are you using it full length or will you remove the excess toward the front of the action? Might be easier than all that inletting.

Maybe pick up a second at Richards microfit you could use for a pattern later?

The feed ramp has been cut back to allow for 3.23" O.A.L. The Hornady, Nosler, and Barnes manuals show all of their bullets are loaded at or below this length. I do not intend to load Hot. There are some 06' pressure loads out there that have been lab tested, but I'm good with standard. BTW, There is a block in the front of the magazine. I could open it up a bit more before I have the action treated, but it feeds so well, I'm afraid to mess up a good thing. I will eventually have it put in a Pendleton stock, if Wayne York is still in business at that time.

Matt
FISH!!