Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 Vs Model for Custom Rilfes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
CZ 550 Vs Model 70 for Custom Rifles?

Here is the setup. I have unfired Model 70s in 375 sitting at the gunshop and all paid for.

It is easy for me to change over to CZ 375 rifles.

In Australia we have a thing called Permit to Purchase and this will come through in about 6 weeks and I want to decide in that time.

Calibers are to be 300 H&H, 375 H&H and 458 Lott. One 300 H&H and one 375 is to be fully customised with restocking and action work.

One 375 is to be left as is except for rebarreling if necessary and bedding and floating. The fourth rifle is to be a 458 Lott and that would probably kick off as a rechambered CZ 458. If Model 70 then a rebarreled 375 to 458 Lott.

As I see it the advantages of the CZ 550 are the 3.85" length magazine box compared to Model 70s 3.6" and also the opportunity to add to the "family" a real "big banger" like 505 Gibbs or 416 Rigby and such a caliber would be fully customised. Also the Talley mounts for the CZ clamp straight to the dovetails and so leave a nice profile when the scope is removed.

In addition the CZ in 458 Win seems to be the easiest way to go to 458 Lott.

One plus I see for Model 70s is that I can have both Stainless and Blued and in fact two of the 375sM70s are stainless. Also I can add Jewell triggers.

Which action would you go for and why. Cost is not really an issue as it would all work about the same.

At the moment I leaning towards changing to the CZs and because of longer magazine and ability to have a real "big banger" and the easier path to a 458 lott.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike375 (edited 05-17-2002).]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike375:

I'm sure you have read these too, but there seems to be a number of reports of 375 and 416 CZs cracking stocks, so you might factor that in.

That said, I think it would be preferable to have both of you bigger rifles on the same action. Less chance of fumbling if the chips are down. Sounds like CZ might be the cheaper way to accomplish that, but it boils down to your preferences.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Gordo, You were thinking of the CZ 602 ZKM
The new CZ safari M550 stocks are as solid as a tank. I owned the 375 and took it apare only the be in amazement at the redundancy in regards to making this stock. Very good worksmanship even though the stock was uglier than hell.

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alvin:

No, the reports I read were definitely on the 550 stocks cracking at the wrist, particularly on the .416s. But I am not going to argue the point, perhaps they have made changes in their design in the last couple of months.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If folks had read Mikes thread, they'd not he said they will be re-stocked.

It is an interesting question, because the M70 has been the darling action for so long, as the "modern mauser", but now with the CZ, we have a more traditional mauser type action.

I have yet to shoot a CZ, so can only comment on the ones I've handled. Based on that, If I were to buy a new action to build a rifle on, it would be a CZ. I've been very tempted to get a 9.3X62 manlicher stocked 550 that is at a local shop, nice rifle.

BTW, I'm finally shooting the 350 Rigby. Only had a few rounds down range so far, but looks promising. Forming brass from 375 H&H is a bit of a pain, but beats the way to pricey bertram cases. I plan on putting some more lead down range at lunch, look for the report on the medium bore board. I think this just might be the ultimate medium bore cartridge, but I'm a bit biased

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul H:

I did read his post, and of the 4 rifles, 2, as I read it, are to be left with the factory stock. Specifically, the .375 and the .458 converted to Lott.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo,

Yes I have read on these forums about stock splitting.

Although it it is not related to the reprted stock splitting (I don't think it is) I would prefer if the CZ had the recoil lug moved to the forward of the action and the screw left in the middle of the front reciver ring like a Model 70 and I also prefer the larger tang of the Model 70. I also prefer the deeper recoil lug of the Model 70 to Mauser actions. In short, if Model 70s were bigger, then this thread would not have been started

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe I lean towards the M-70 in this case....but wouldn't be overly distraught with either one...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41930 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go for the CZ,I like there sights better, there mag. lenght and capacity the dual recoil lugs? (602) the boltface diam. and most of all the extractor that is dovetailed in the front of the bolt and is made of springsteel.

Regards Martin

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Mike375,

My vote goes to CZ. But why not change the barrel of the CZ and put a Lother Walther for instance. Price of this less than M70 custom rifle. IMHO

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<dcan>
posted
jbelk as this posted over at HA and it looks very nice (darn I want one).
Did not know if you had seen it or not so thought I would pass it on.
Don
http://community.webshots.com/album/32167818iUSAmETkCY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dcan,

Thanks for that.

I seacrhed around on the internet the other day and came across a few that were all finished off. One was a 505 Gibbs for $7900US.

If you want the extra magazine length and capability for a "big banger" they appear to be the best way to go.

Mike