New
Find
Notify
Tools

Torque Wrench?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Where can I get a torque wrench for things like tightening action screws? Is there one that doesn't cost a TON. I'm a serious shooter/loader, but I don't do my own gunsmithing.

Thanks,

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Brownells has them. They are in inch pounds not foot pounds.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<gone hunting>
posted
got mine from Mac Tools

------------------
Death Before Dishonor

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get a reasonable priced inch/pound torque wrench from Harbor Freight.

Posts: 1536 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Speaking of inch pounds vs foot pounds...

Remember, it is common practice to convert between the two. If you have a fastener which should be torqued to 50 foot pounds, but your torque wrench only indicates inch pounds, you can multiply the 50 number, by twelve (the number of inches in a foot) and torque the fastener to 600inlbs.

Works the other way around too.

With actions screws though, the torque is so low, that you'll never find a foot pound torque wrench that goes that low. Since most action screw are only torqued around 20 to 30 inch pounds. What's that, 2 to 3 foot pounds, roughly?

No torque wrench designed for foot pounds will be reliably adjustable that low. Heck, most foot pound torque wrenchs are 3/8ths drive, while most inch pound torque wrenches are 1/4 inch drive.

Also, it is considered bad form to use a torque wrench within 10% of either it's upper or lower limit.

They should be calibrated every six months or so, if used heavily. Plus, whenever dropped, they should be calibrated.

Sorry for the boring technical (barely) info, just thought it may help.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're cheap, or want something small that will fit in a kit, or want to be able to see what's going on, get a long-handled allen wrench to fit the bolt, file a notch in it at some convenient distance (like 5") from the working end, and pull with a fish scale with the hook in the notch. Like, pull 13 pounds at 5" for 65 inch-pounds.
Get a reliable weight and calibrate!

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote