Find
Notify
Tools

Mark X Speed Lock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of South40
posted
I've been looking for a couple of Mark X speed lock cocking pieces for a while. I thought I'd give this forum another shot in case someone has any suggestions. An example of the speed lock cocking piece is shown in the graphic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Straight8/CockingPiece.jpg

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the speed lock piece, but the speed lock spring is the same as a 98

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39567 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
BTT one time

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You also are going to need a speed lock bolt too. The cam notch in the bolt is cut differently to use with the SL cocking piece.
Personally i don't like the unit at all. It makes for a stiffer opening bolt. Paul Mauser got it right the first time IMHO.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Doug,

I put a new complete Mark X bolt that I got from ebay a while ago into a bolt-less Santa Barbara M98 action and after a couple hundred bolt workings, it turned out to be the smoothest and lightest operating 98 bolt I have. This bolt came with the heavy duty speed lock spring. It seems that the angle of the cocking piece is shorter and not as steep as the original Mark X. The standard Mark X I have from a 1970's production is very heavy in comparison. Maybe I got a good bolt ?

Bob

one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
I have two stripped, speed lock bolts without cocking pieces. I've been looking for a couple of speed lock cocking pieces for 6 months without success. Kuhnhausen says that regular commercial mauser cocking pieces (with the straight bottom) can be ground to work -- so I may have to go that route. S40

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got mine from the same guy on EBAY that I bought the bolt from. I beleive his user name on EBAY is mrbonecrusher. I still have his email address , if you want it. Send me email and I will reply with the address. I have no idea how to get to the PM anymore.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
south 40,

I think the difference is in the shape of the cocking piece nose. I don't know why the straight bottom sear is made different than the arched military one. But the Browning FN commercial cocking pieces also had a straight solid sear but were not the speed lock type. Guess it could be re ground with some creative machine work but the speed-locks always show up on the auction sites.There is a gunsmith in Canada that had the Browning CP for sale but I dont think they will work for you.
I also got mine from the gunsmith in Idaho that Trigger mentioned .

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong (and often am), but I think what makes the Mark X cocking piece a "speedlock" is the fact that it shortens the striker travel. If you compare the distance from the front of the sear to the front of the cylinder portion of the cocking piece on the Mark X to a commercial or military 98, you will notice a difference. As the trigger sear is in a fixed location in the receiver, the Mark X's striker is closer to the chamber. I have read that you have to be careful modifying the military cocking pieces, as there is not much metal to work with.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a diffence in the cocking piece and the bolt with the speedlock. If I could post pictures I could show you. Or you can look in Kuhnhausen book.

I tried to use the ARG 1909 parts on a stripped speadlock bolt and could not make it work. Eventually bought the shroud, cocking piece, and firng pin to make it work. The firing pin I bought for cosmetic reasons. Mil pin does not extend to the end of a speadlock cocking piece.

An expensive lesson learned. If I were to do this again, I would have a new handle welded on and add a Buehler type saftey to the original bolt. However, I am working on my last miltary Mauser action for a sporter now. I going broke saving money.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mark X is "slightly" speedlocked as is. Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote