Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting a model 94 winchester
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering what the possibility of converting a model 94 Winchester in 444 Marlin to 45/70, would be, i have looked at the model 1886 Winchesters and there prices are kinda steep, and im just not a Marlin fan, so after looking at some demensions the 444 Marlin case is longer than the 45/70 and the pressure is as high or higher than anything i would shoot in a 45/70 so i thought why not have the barrel reamed and re-boared and rechambered, i think the only problem i would have would be the much bigger rim on the 45/70 over the 444 Marlin, what ya think spinning my wheels on this one or what and start looking for a repro of a 1886, thanks for your input, bubba.

Posts: 65 | Location: texas | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yellowhammer
posted Hide Post
I've wondered about doing that bewildered

Posts: 87 | Location: Eastern Texas | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While they aren't wonder guns in value the .444 94s are relatively rare by a manufacturer that no longer exists as "Winchester" per se. I don't see you gaining that much in real world hunting utility. I wouldn't do it myself.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 45-70 rim is wider than the inside of the 94 action. Won't fit! Winchester did chamber the 94 in 450 Marlin which is basically the same as the 45-70 except it has a belt and the belt is small enough to fit in the 94. Maybe you can find a 94 in 450 Marlin. There is an old Gun Digest article about a Big Bore Winchester 94 converted to 458x2" which is almost identical to the 450 Marlin.

Trouble is the prices on Winchesters skyrocketed after Winchester closed the doors!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would just pick up a Marlin in that caliber. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
Sell the Winnie to some misguided soul that thinks the 94 post 64 is worth diddly, and buy a Marlin. Several flavors available in 45-70. Guide guns are very noisy, tho. I like my 22" barrel Marlin a lot!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
what XS said.... get a marlin with the 22" barrel, after you sell the winchester.

honest answer, you would be better off, from a money POV, to put the 444 in the gunsafe, go down and get a 45/70 marlin, and keep them both, rather than converting the 444.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I've got a plain jane M-94 in .30-30 and I love it, but the bigger bore 94's just didn't do anything for me.

I've also got a Marlin in .45-70 and the action just doesn't have "something" that the Winchester has, it just seems bigger and less refined, but you can easily take the bolt out of the Marlin to clean the bore properly, it feeds perfectly, will shoot 100 yard groups @1.5" from an 18" barrel and hits like a dropped ACME anvil.

Keep the Winchester if you like it, it's cheaper to buy bullets in .429" flavor for reloading anyway and buy a Marlin if you want a .45-70.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote