Find
Notify
Tools

How can I Fix my Screw-up?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted
I picked up my favorite rifle today and noticed fine rust all over the fluted barrel. Like a fine layer of dust. Never happened before --- I guess I didn't oil it after my last hunt.

What can I do to repair/restore it? Take it to a smith? Sand it down? I am really clueless (for letting this happen and the needed repair?

Any ideas? Thank you!

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I might try a little fine steel wool and some gun oil. As long as the rust isn't deeply pitted, you shouldn't have too big a problem.

And do oil that rifle after the next use...

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the rust is dust fine, you can use a sturdy oiled cloth and give it a rub down for awhile...

Paste Wax is another suggestion for rust protection.

Now the gun has character and looks like it's been hunted with- don't bother running off to the smith for a reblue just yet...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you use steel wool, keep it to 0000 grade. For small areas, I use a #2 lead pencil, and just rub at it.

Oil's a good lubricant, but actually pretty poor at corrosion protection by today's standards. You can do a lot better with something else.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the rust is not thick a good rubdoun with a silicon wiping cloth may bring it back.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
0000 steel wool and a good gun oil should take care of it and not remove any blue....if not then its time for a reblue...your gun is probably bead blasted and blued...the bead blast cuts tiny holes in metal and those holes store water and thus rust....

I suggest a 220 grit polish followed by a good cording and rust blue for a lasting finish.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
I'll throw my hat in with the 0000 steel wool and oil gang. Marvel's mystery oil seems to work well and lately I've been using Kroil but wd-40 will work also. I like the penetrating oils better than regular gun oil for getting rid of the rust. I'm betting if you get on in pretty good with the 0000 steel wool it will look like new.

Good Shooting,
Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've pretty much eliminated WD-40 from anything I do, except for loosening stuck screws, but for that its penetration is valuable. As I don't want it "penetrating" my stocks or bedding, I keep it far away from anything that touches them.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
0000 steel wool and a good gun oil should take care of it and not remove any blue....if not then its time for a reblue...your gun is probably bead blasted and blued...the bead blast cuts tiny holes in metal and those holes store water and thus rust....

I suggest a 220 grit polish followed by a good cording and rust blue for a lasting finish.

Ray means...
wipe it down with a green scotchbright and oil.. then CLEAN the metal (remove all the now in oil rust by wiping..) then oil it good. FULL STOP!!!

the comments on 220 rubdown is if you decide to refinish it!!!

A bead blast finish is both good and bad.. an a gun oiled with a hydrophobic oil will put the water UNDER the oil.. and you will get, eventually, corrosion, assuming you keep it oil.. that's rather SLOW as the rust would be using the O2 trapped in the water as gas, not the free 02 in air.

use a water displacing oil (add some atf to your favorite gun oil) also called penetrating oil, wil move the water to the surface, and it will evap from the oil.

good side... it's the best place to start from for a good matte finish

on penetrating oil.. and liquid physical properties... well, let's say it in english, and my own texas redneck version of that...

a liquid will go everwhere it aint.. dont matter if it is STP wd40, or light machine oil (gun oil).. if it's sopped on, it's going somewhere...

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Lately I have found a good wipe down with Pledge furniture polish protects the metal as good as oil and is good for the wood as well. Just like the paste wax only easier to apply.
Dean
once the rust is there the finish is already damaged to some degree.

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I use Kroil for wipe down and have tried a product called Boeshield for a weatherproofing / sealer on the metal. Blood smeared on a rifle will flat out mess up whatever preperation has been done. I have a litle kit I drag around that includes a squeeze bottle of CLP also.
In the end I expect to get some dings, rust, and uglies. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
By chance is your rifle a Accumark? Reason I ask is because the same thing happeded to be last year. Opened the safe and found light rust on my Accumark...no other rifles had any problems...

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
No Scotch-brite!! That WILL take off blue! 0000 steel wool and WD40 will take off the fine rust, won't harm the blue, but don't slop it on. And wipe down with soft rag, and some thicker rust preventing oil or grease after the wool rub.

Hippie redneck geezer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another recommendation.

Once you have the rust off, consider the 'Marine Tuf-Cloth' by Sentry products.

It comes in a pouch for easy carry to the field/camp/hunt, etc.

I got mine through Brownells. If you use it on many guns, go ahead and get the refill when you order.

There are many good products out there but this one is used by our Navy Seals. Nuf said.

Good luck with you wipe down.

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I have used and had good luck with is bronze wool. Not as aggressive as steel wool. Also use with a good oil.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope I'm correct in remembering that somewhere around here there's an AR analysis and evaluation of these products.

I'm getting ready to order another can of Shooter's Choice Rust Prevent.

flaco

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flaco:
I hope I'm correct in remembering that somewhere around here there's an AR analysis and evaluation of these products.

I'm getting ready to order another can of Shooter's Choice Rust Prevent.

flaco

AR Rust Prevention Test

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lanny from NY:
No Scotch-brite!! That WILL take off blue! 0000 steel wool and WD40 will take off the fine rust, won't harm the blue, but don't slop it on. And wipe down with soft rag, and some thicker rust preventing oil or grease after the wool rub.

larry..
green stotchbright is PLASTIC 000 ..

wait... i get it.. they sell a green pad for the kitchen, that's about 0.. and has an abrasive on the otherside...

not what i am talking about.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After you have rubbed the rust bloom off with XXXX brass wool, go get a tube of Corrosion-X. This is a marine grade lubricant. Get the metal warm and apply with your fingers(for warmth), then wipe off the next day with an old, but clean, diaper. It will never happen again.

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Always interesting to see so many folks reply to these threads. Strange so few show up when the "Experts" claim that Blue Steel NEVER rusts.

Hey live4thestalk, If it is Blue Steel, it is going to rust on you eventually, just one of the wonderful qualities of "Rusting Blue Steel".

You can even use a Heavy Paper Towel to wipe it down and knock most of the surface rust off. Paper is more abrasive than cloth but not enough to hurt anything. I use them inside my barrels for Cleaning Patches because they are slightly abrasive.

Once you remove the Surface Rust, there will be Pits. Maybe very small and difficut to see, but they are there. You need to coat all the Rusting Blue Steel with some kind of metal protectant. I've used all kinds from regular old oils to synthetic grease, and prefer a grease for the few Rusting Blue Steel firearms I have.

Lots of good spray-on coatings from paint to bake on finishes. And of course Speciality Shop Coatings. I'd only consider putting money in one of them if the rifle is especially accurate, otherwise I'd grease it and save up for a Stainless Barrel. The Stainless can Rust too, but certainly not like Rusting Blue Steel.
---

The only Rusting Blue Steel firearms that do not show Rust are those that are well Lubed and never taken out for a real hunt.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only Rusting Blue Steel firearms that do not show Rust are those that are well Lubed and never taken out for a real hunt.

BS. You wouldn't know what a real hunt was.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote