Find
Notify
Tools

Pre 64 Winchester 70 Safety question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
I just got back from South Africa and while there experienced something that has never happened to me before. On one of my custom rifles with a pre 64 action, the safety popped off when moving it to the fire position. I was able to complete the safari by keeping the chamber cleared until preparing to fire but it was disconcerting. I could put the safety lever back in the hole and make it fit but it would not re-engage. Simple fix for a gunsmith?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7530 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There is a tiny retaining pin for the safety lever. Yours, fell out. Or some "gunsmith/maker" failed to install it.

Posts: 17122 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little troublesome, but a modified set screw...If I remember a 3 x 56 works well

Posts: 3460 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That retainer pin works, his is the only failure I know of!! very rare indeed and some smith got caught with his hand in the cookie jar!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41858 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That pin is not needed for operation, and there is a detent and spring that will hold it in place. Until it doesn't. And they can only come out one way; towards the outside.
I vote that a gunmaker forgot to install it.

Posts: 17122 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the early pre-war bolt shrouds do not have the safety retaing pin. There is a flange that prevents the safety lever from coming out when in the safe position. Something similar happened to me with such an early rifle. Mine has a Tilden safety lever which does not have the flange. I fixed it by getting a later bolt shroud that has the retaing pin.

Posts: 176 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only the first year of the M70 did not have the retaining cross pin of the safety lever
When I was making my version of the Tilden lever, I drilled MANY of those early sleeves for the retaining pin

About 25 years ago I started using a rolled split Stainless pin for the M70 safeties I was making
That solved several issues, and I have not had one of those roll pins back out

J Wisner

Posts: 1433 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Would any of you gentlemen allow me to send the bolt to you so it can be repaired or could you recommend someone in Texas to contact? I was thinking of taking it to Gordy and Sons in Houston...

Thanks!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7530 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gordy and sons can eaasily handle the problem. And...most shops would like the rifle complete just to make sure eveerything works the first time.

The M-70 has three pins that seldom move out of pisition,,,notice I did not say "NEVER"

1. The safety flag retainer p[in (menioned here)
2. The bolt sleeve lock retaininmg pin (Can move foreward and lock up the bolt)
3. The pivot pin for the ejector (can move, fall out and lock up the trigger)

I've encountred all of these from time to time.

Jim Wisner's solution of expanding pin (s) do take care of the problem.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote