Find
Notify
Tools

Thread protector for ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted
Muzzle brake on my dad-in-law's (now mine) .338 Win Mag Ruger 77 helps on the bench but I won't hunt with a brake.

Can a brake be identified with a picture? Brownell's pix looks like either Gentry "QUIET" Brake (possibly) or Gunner's Choice (maybe not).

Not being a 'smith, and mine being in ill health, I don't really know how to measure. Dale Kimbrough (DALECO) here in Clute got the brake off and said the threads are more like KDF-style -- larger threads as I understood him. He's in no shape to cut a thread protector and referred me to Brownell's .

Barry

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
he could tell you the major diameter and thread pitch, and you could probably order a cap

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is a special thread, something other that the standard 1/2-28 or 5/8-24 it could be a problem to cut the internal thread if one did not have the tap. It could be single pointed but I would want the barrel to make sure the thread fits correctly. Not too big a job but should be done by someone with some machining experience.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
If I understand the numbers right -- looks like 1/2" - 20 ??

1/2 " diameter (threaded part)
about 10 teeth in a half-inch (that's all that's threaded).

Thanks so far...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even with knowing the thread diameter and pitch, I would not guarantee one I made would fit. I would still like to have the barrel to fit it to.

By the way, are you guessing at the diameter and pitch?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The long way around is to use the break as your starting thread gauge.
Machine a spud with external threads that just threads into the break. This now becomes you thread gauge. Use that to make the thread protector. I know it a longer rout to go. But when a customer drops off parts and you are expected to make duplicates that fit well sometime you need to make jigs and fixture to save from doing it over.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
The long way around is to use the break as your starting thread gauge.
Machine a spud with external threads that just threads into the break. This now becomes you thread gauge. Use that to make the thread protector. I know it a longer rout to go. But when a customer drops off parts and you are expected to make duplicates that fit well sometime you need to make jigs and fixture to save from doing it over.

Good answer; I have done that in the past. But then again, one would need to know the length of the barrel threads

And that would be "brake" I think.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Even with knowing the thread diameter and pitch, I would not guarantee one I made would fit. I would still like to have the barrel to fit it to.

By the way, are you guessing at the diameter and pitch?

Yessir, I am -- new to terminology and (unlike with taxidermy) afraid to experiment. Bought a 1/2 - 20 bolt and nut at the hardware store to compare with my measurements. Wrong.

I will get a machinist to do it right or just overwrap the threads with Teflon tape and electrical tape / whatever whenever I get to hunt with the .338 WinMag. Might be awhile -- I haven't worked for going on three years and I may be a teacher soon.

Hats off to y'all artists and thanks once again.

Barry

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Send me the brake and I will make you a cap for $30 plus shipping. I can do it in stainless or blue. The chances of the bluing matching are not good. That may not matter as it will be nurled........Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote