Find
Notify
Tools

700 action
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
The new ultras are pushing 65000 PSI and so do some of the 300 weatherby and the 300 win. How much will a 700 action take? What are they tested to. Anyone got an idea? MD

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find an exact pressure but I would bet it will be double, triple or more than operating pressure of 65000 p.s.i.
I saw an article that said the styer scout rifle has been proofed to an excess of 120000p.s.i. and another article that talked about weatherby actions handling 200000 p.s.i. without coming to pieces.

[This message has been edited by RMiller (edited 11-14-2001).]

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't recall by how much the proof loads exceed the norm but it seems that it was on the order of 25 to 30%. Going by the evidence I would have to say that 700s are very strong. Some of the loads and mistakes I have seen them survive are testament to that. I know that Dan Lilga has stated that the remington is unsatisfactory for cartridges on the 378 Wby case but I have never seen any signs of setback or stretching on any of these. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3535 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How much can the mod-70 classic series handle or what is it proofed at?

<Big50>
posted
Bill do you know anyone with the 700 in 338/378 or 338/416 because all have warned me against the endever, because of boltface margine not enough to action not strong enough etc. Any coments or experiance would be helpful.

My brothers smith is building his 300RUM to a 30" 338/378 and says it will handle it with no problems aside from being single shot unless alot of modifications are made to feed them, I'm sure that will be done later too. Thanks

Later
Brent

<Harald>
posted
Its not a question of strength, even if you remove the rim on the boltface, but you could have feeding problems if it were not done properly and most people that I have consulted about the big Weatherby or Rigby case head size (0.580 - 0.590) shy away from the project. It has more to do with the case engagement and extraction.

The lugs support the case in the chamber and can easily withstand the backforce of the bigger cartridges. This conversion has been performed on the Winchester action more successfully (or with less trepidation) because its Mauser style boltface and is open already anyhow. On the Remington the extractor has to be housed in what remains of the rim. Now if you install a Sako style extractor you might be able to do it more easily BUT I'M NOT A GUNSMITH so I dunno.

PS-- Proof loads are usually 25% over the SAAMI maximum allowable peak pressure for the cartridge (according to H.P. White Labs when I consulted them on a design project some years back). Barrels (not actions) are designed to have a safety factor of about 1.2, but in reality the dynamic strength of the steel gives it a much higher safety factor because of the high strain rate of the load (roughly 2X).

[This message has been edited by Harald (edited 11-17-2001).]

<gone hunting>
posted
i've seen the proof loads that Ruger uses in it's 9mm P85/89s and they were rated at 85,000psi.

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

<Big50>
posted
His will get the Sako extractor. And the rails etc. will be done later.

I have a LH M700 (I'm RH) in .358 Norma that would be rebarreled in this also.

Brent

[This message has been edited by Big50 (edited 11-17-2001).]