THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Looking to Farm Out a couple of small 'smithing tasks...

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to Farm Out a couple of small 'smithing tasks...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey all, I am looking for a gunsmith who can assist me on two smallish tasks in a project that I am preparing to undertake.
I have decided to build a 376 steyr on a 98 mauser action. My dad (Arkie55) and I can do most of the work ourselves, and have done several mauser projects in the past, but generally use pre-chambered barrels that we then headspace to our receivers (both long and short chambered barrels, we do have and know how to use a lathe...), and typically stick to standard caseheads.

So, in order to avoid having to purchase a reamer in 376 steyr for a one time project, I am looking for a smith here who has a 376 reamer and can fully chamber my barrel blank for me. I will purchase the blank after arrangements are made, and have it shipped directly to whomever is doing the chambering job. I am looking for someone who will chamber it and then ship it back to me so we can then headspace it to my receiver here in our shop, as well as thread it ourselves (unless you can talk me into a good price on that as well).

The second job I will need is to have someone open the boltface for me to fit the 376's casehead. I have already forged the handle, and am in the process of final shaping it now. I would ship the bolt to you, with a check enclosed for the amount of the job and return shipping. You cash or deposit the check, do the job as time permits, and send it back to me via the shipper of your choice.

I am looking to have the bolt job done at the earliest convenience of whomever takes this job, and the barrel job done probably around May or June, as I am purchasing the barrel in April or so.

If anyone here either is interested in one or both of these jobs, or wants to recommend someone for them, please let me know...

Thanks a bunch!
Jeremy

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

Posts: 411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: 10 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't let this pass...

Let some honest gunsmith make a few biucks on the entire job at a professional price. If he has scruples at all, he'll insist on all the parts anyway for test firing purposes.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, while I appreciate the suggestion, I am looking to do as much of this as possible myself. We do this (mauser projects for ourselves) on a reglar basis, it's just that we typically do it with prechambered barrels. I don't know of anybody who sells a prechambered barrel in 376 steyr in my price range (this is not a true custom rifle, I don't make that kind of money and have no desire to purchase a match grade barrel, just someting to "play" with). So, I am simply looking to have a contoured blank long chambered.
As to the "scruples" part, I'm not sure I understand...are you implying that anyone who sells pre-chambered barrels or chambers a barrel for someone without actually doing a full build for them has no scruples simply because they cannot finish the rifle themselves and test fire it? bewildered
Not trying to start anything with you, as I have read many of your posts and admire your knowledge and your work tremendously (wish I could afford to have you build me a full-on custom...maybe someday), I just don't understand how opening a boltface and long chambering a barrel for someone would cause one to lose their scruples??

Thanks...
Jeremy

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

Posts: 411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: 10 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lothar Walther , They may be able to supply a .376s chambered barrel.
Chambering,threading,profiling,crowning etc, are all separate priced options through WL.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax, thanks I had actually forgotten about LW. I'll check them out, they're usually reasonably priced...

Could still stand to have the bolt face opened up by someone who's done that job before. I'd rather not screw it up...
Any takers on that one?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
I can't let this pass...

Let some honest gunsmith make a few biucks on the entire job at a professional price. If he has scruples at all, he'll insist on all the parts anyway for test firing purposes.

Amen -- Find your guy, and I'll loan him a reamer

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
4d products has the reamer for rent, since you know your way around the lathe, you can do it all your self.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mad_jack02:
4d products has the reamer for rent, since you know your way around the lathe, you can do it all your self.

Sounds like a good idea, that may be my most practical option. We use rentals often for finish reaming, but I hadn't considered a rental for the full chambering job. Guess that never crossed my mind last night (dern lack of sleep!) Thanks a bunch.
Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you live in South MS, you might consider Billy Tierce, a very good general-work smith in the Utica area, 601-885-9297.

You can open the bolt face yourself using a carbide lathe tool and the lathe's steady rest or you can use a hand-grinder with a carbide burr if you go slowly & carefully. The Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks books have several suggestions for opening the bolt face and extractor but I caution you that this work isn't for the amateur or the faint-of-heart, you are very likely to FUBAR things unless you're lucky.

Call Billy Tierce and tell him that Big Ugly Joe said Hi and to treat you right.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdunlapmo:
We use rentals often for finish reaming, but I hadn't considered a rental for the full chambering job.

I myself would never consider a "rental" reamer or a borrowed one for that matter when doing a full chamber job. I just don't think they're up to the task.

Just kidding of course!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I'll probably just call the guy in Utica when I get all the stuff together, and upon further consideration, I may just take the advice given here and let him do all of it since he's local. I don't mind paying for it when the money's staying at "home" so to speak.

God bless, and thanks again for all the help!
Jeremy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, But a wise man is he who listens to counsel." Proverbs 12:15

...Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. James 4:6

The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God. Psalm 51:17

He who is often reproved, yet stiffens his neck, will suddenly be broken beyond healing. Proverbs 29:1

[Shall I go on?]

Jeremy-

Thank you for the refreshing "teachable spirit" you displayed in this interaction.

Oh that we had more "real men" who are confident enough to heed counsel.

Hawkeye Mountaineer

Live Well, Live Wisely

Do you want to be counted wise, to build a reputation for wisdom?
Here's what you do: Live well, live wisely, live humbly.
It's the way you live, not the way you talk, that counts.
Mean-spirited ambition isn't wisdom. Boasting that you are wise isn't wisdom. Twisting the truth to make yourselves sound wise isn't wisdom. It's the furthest thing from wisdom—it's animal cunning, devilish conniving. Whenever you're trying to look better than others or get the better of others, things fall apart and everyone ends up at the others' throats.

Real wisdom, God's wisdom, begins with a holy life and is characterized by getting along with others. It is gentle and reasonable, overflowing with mercy and blessings, not hot one day and cold the next, not two-faced.

You can develop a healthy, robust community that lives right with God and enjoy its results only if you do the hard work of getting along with each other, treating each other with dignity and honor.

James 3:13-18 (The Message)

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye Mountaineer:
Oh that we had more "real men" who are confident enough to heed counsel.

Kinda stirs the spirit don't it...

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ayup. kinda makes me want to go to church.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ayup.
+1

quote:
Kinda stirs the spirit don't it...

You bet'cha.

As I'm sure you know, Jeremy-

I applaud:

a) your willingness to take on more challenging 'smithing projects-- [sounds like fun]

b) seeking & heeding counsel from Pros and the more experienced on AR-- and,

c) selling me that ol' German Mauser last year to save up for a way-cool endeavor such as building a 376 steyr!

Take care and let us know how the work progresses!

patriot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words guys, and will do! Cool
Jeremy