Find
Notify
Tools

mildew in stock checkering
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi.I'm new here.
Due to circumstances that were unavoidable,several rifles were stored in a humid enviorment for a while and have mildew in the stock checkering.No rust because the medal was well protected.Stocks are wood.
I've used a toothbrush with some improvement but still have an unsightly greenish tint in the checkering that I'd like to get rid of.
Naturally,it would be easy to get rid of if I don't mind turning the stock white but I'm looking for a way that won't otherwise change the wood finish.Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You might try a wee bit of a product named JOMAX it is made for mildew problems. you can find it at most all lumber yards.

PS: A big welcome to the Accurate reloading forums! thumb

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
409, soft plastic brush...

then gun oil.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I would use a toothbrush and some Dembart checkering oil or other thinned stock finish. Flood the checkering and scrub it out with toothbrush. Not sure I would put gun oil in checkering. Thats really made for metal. Maybe thats what Jeffe meant.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The mildew may have stained the wood.I have always put thinned finish in the checkering to avoid that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are products that remove water stains and mildew discolor from wood. You can get the stuff at a lumber store. Ive used it on open beam tung and grove wood ceilings, it works great. You need to do that before you put finish on it or the finish will just seal in the mildew stain.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
What the last two fellows said. The mildew or its byproducts may be attacking the stain on the wood (if any) and if so it is permanently altered. Try a little stain with the thinned finnish.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
The first thing you need to do is get rid of the mildew. I would try a stiff toothbrush with some oxyscrub followed by some Lysol spray. Until the mildew is gone the problem will remain and may even grow.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote